Four killed in Canberra police chase

jennybel75 6 April 2010 484

[First filed: Mar 21, 2010 @ 9:42]

[Edtheres more to this story than most have heard, we’re sure more will come out in the following days. The RiotACT has heard some rumors about the driver and where he was before the chase, who the occupants of the second car were and what the outcomes of this incident for the police and on certain parts of Canberra community will be. We’ll let you know more when able.]

The SMH is reporting that 4 people were killed on the Monaro highway last night after a car which was involved in a police chase hit another car carring 2 adults and a child. All occupants of the car that was hit died and the driver of the car being pursued also died and the female passanger is currently in Canberra hospital.

Very, very sad news.

[Ed – UrbanAdventure.org also sent in the below story]

Four Killed in Canberra Police chase

I was saddened to read the news that four people were killed in a car accident in Canberra as result of a car being chased by police colliding with another car. It appears that the car was chased from Queanbeyan into the ACT and collided with another car at the intersection of Canberra Ave and the Monaro Highway off ramp in Narrabundah. Three innocent victims in the second car, two adults and a baby were killed as well as the driver of the chased car. Very sad indeed.

I’m not going to discuss the rights or wrongs of police chases. I have to wonder though at the mentality of those that seek to escape from the police in such a way. The news is full of stories of the deadly ends to such police chases. I mean police have special training to drive at high speed (well I hope they do), they have radios and other police cars. They have helicopters, computers, a whole bunch of people who’s sole job in life is to catch criminals.

What makes some one think “I can outrun these people?” or “I can get away from this?” as adverse to “Oh shit this will cost me a fine or maybe my licence?” A fine can be costly yes, but usually it is a few hundred dollars and I have read that you can arrange to pay it off. Even on my next to non existent income I’d rather pay a fine than risk my, and some one else’s life. I could not imagine the guilt and grief caused by endangering some one’s life or indeed killing them.

What makes people do this? What can be done to prevent it?

I figure one option is to have police call off the chase once a number plate is recorded. Then look the driver up on a database, get their phone number and ring them (or their parents) in an effort to get them to slow down and give them the opportunity to turn themselves in. I don’t know if that would work. But it would be better than these needless deaths.

484 Responses to Four killed in Canberra police chase
Clown Killer Clown Killer 12:48 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk, if someone lives like a dog, then they should expect others to treat them like a dog. Simple as that. It’s not malice. There’s no hatred. Williams deliberately chose the life he led. I just write it as I see it.

sloppery sloppery 12:30 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

Really what’s your excuse for being so hate filled and bad mannered?

We’re sick of loser scumbags hurting the community while the justice system does nothing about it.

buzz819 buzz819 12:22 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

Jim I could not read past the first page of this post as it was just the same riotact hypocrisy and discrimination against dead people that we have seen consistently when it comes to a death like this. More of the same. Its funny how the spit flecked mob always shout for murder and killing of people.

I for one am more than happy to be a Scumbag Junkie rather then participate in a Canberra community full of such vitriol, discrimination and abuse. My guess would be that Mully and Scott would agree with me. Some of you aren’t even on drugs and still talk crap. Really what’s your excuse for being so hate filled and bad mannered?

Because scum bag junkies steal our cars, burgle our houses, rob our kids and damage our property.

I for one have had all those (except the whole kids thing) happen to me.

You maybe saying oh shock horror that bad man is stereo typing.

I don’t any other people other than scumbag junkies who get caught for these crimes.

If people were to keep their hands to themselves, not touch other peoples property, not bash their wives then there wouldn’t be as much hate in the world!

I think you will find that people have just had enough of it. Have a look in the news lately, that Scottish guy that got king hit, cause he got off the bus, two more accidents involving people in stolen cars – WHILE THEY WERE DRINK DRIVING!

You say these people deserve to live how they want, I say if they can follow my moral codes and principles, which you will find fit pretty nicely with the average citizen, then their deaths would be more tragic.

The only tragic thing to come out of this is all the tree hugging hippies who think that no one deserves to die, that people are basically good underneath it all.

Some people need to wake up to themselves, the hate felt on this board is not the cause of the violence and angst out on the street, it is the effect of the judicial system not being tough enough, it is the effect of people walking around hurting, stealing and damaging other people and their property.

How’s that for a good excuse fgzk?

What’s your excuse for condoning the above behavior?

fgzk fgzk 11:02 am 08 Apr 10

Clown Killer Clown Killer 8:03 am 08 Apr 10

In all seriousness have you ever hung out with police/ambos/fireies/casualty nurses and not been entertained by their tales of what really happens when the brown stuff comes into contact with the spinning thing? I’ve always seen it as a tool that these guys use to work through some of the stuff that they deal with almost every day.

Ari Ari 11:59 pm 07 Apr 10

Ari, I would think long and hard before posting private information like this again. This public-service town is a leaky boat enough when it comes to information. It only stays stable by people knowing when to keep their gobs shut.

My comment undermines the stability of this city? LOL

Wow, such gratuitous pomposity from such a little man.

I prefer to follow Voltaire’s approach: “To the dead we owe only the truth.”

And from JB’s rough polling it seems 90% of riotact readers agree with me.

buzz819 buzz819 7:46 pm 07 Apr 10

Ian said :

Deadmandrinking said :

I actually agree with you on this. I really don’t think gossiping about experiences at accident scenes is something emergency workers should be doing. Very bad form in my opinion.

Emergency workers have to keep a lot of sensitive information – this doesn’t really classify as that though. It was anecdotal, it has no bearing on a court case, public legislation or insider trading, which are all classed as sensitive information.

This is exactly the same as a check out chick telling her partner about rude customers, nurses telling family about the horrible stuff they do at work, Police telling friends about incidents they attend.

Ian and DandD need to have a look at the conversations they have with mates about what they do at work and try and classify this… Or just stop whinging about every stupid little thing that comes up…

Ian Ian 6:55 pm 07 Apr 10

Deadmandrinking said :

Tooks Tooks 5:24 pm 07 Apr 10

Jim Jones said :

Publicly gloating about someone who died in a car accident – now that’s classy.

Cry me a river.

“No-one who’s had any personal involvement with anyone involved in the accident has come forward”

You sure about that?

Spideydog Spideydog 4:43 pm 07 Apr 10

Deadmandrinking said :

Ari’s friend has betrayed the trust given to them. They are a detriment to their profession. People who think otherwise are not suited to be working in areas where they come across private information.

Do you really believe Mully entered into a “trust pact” at the scene ……. FFS You really cannot be serious ????

sloppery sloppery 4:08 pm 07 Apr 10

Jim Jones said :

Did people who lived during the middle ages have access to the internet? No they didn’t. Think about it.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 3:48 pm 07 Apr 10

So people can say whatever they want, because they’re angry?

Sounds pretty stupid to me. The ‘anger’ expressed here is little more than spittle-flecked ‘hang em high’ impotent internet fury. Saying that people who died in a car crash “had it coming” is about as low as it gets in my book – the people who say this sort of thing aren’t any better than common criminals. Precisely how is this “better than some of the alternatives”? Are you suggesting that, if people don’t act like jerks on the internet that they’ll form actual lynch mobs? Somehow I strongly doubt it.

No-one who’s had any personal involvement with anyone involved in the accident has come forward.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 3:46 pm 07 Apr 10

sloppery said :

Deadmandrinking said :

Not trying to be rude here, but how would you know? Aren’t you still in school?

There’s a lot of public anger about this incident, for many reasons. People discussing this stuff on a public website isn’t particularly nice, but is much better than some of the alternatives. And isn’t the lesser evil what you’re all about?

I do know, because, aside from study, I also work in an area where privacy is taken seriously i.e. divulging certain information I come across can be against the law. I assume it is the same with emergency services. Many of my friends and some family are in the public service. They are careful about what they say in regards to work.

sloppery sloppery 2:33 pm 07 Apr 10

Deadmandrinking said :

Not trying to be rude here, but how would you know? Aren’t you still in school?

Special G Special G 2:18 pm 07 Apr 10

A clear breach of his privacy – he’s dead or did you miss that piece of information.

The poster was passing on information they received by someone who was in the know. Just sheds a bit more light on the subject.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 9:19 am 07 Apr 10

Clown Killer said :

Try drawing a breath for a minute and have a think about this maggots handy work. Anything that contributes to this a-hole getting more sh!t dumped on him can only be a good thing. As far as I’m concerned the PC apologists and namby pamby douche-bags can go cry me a river. Williams was no more than a pathetic toe-rag who did the world a favour by removing himself from the gene pool. Let’s make some fun out of it while we can.

I am *really* glad I don’t know you in real life.

Clown Killer Clown Killer 9:24 pm 06 Apr 10

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 8:59 pm 06 Apr 10

Ian said :

Deadmandrinking said :

It’s easy to spread rumors about dead people, isn’t it?

In Mully’s case, live like a piece of shit, and fittingly be remembered as one.

That’s a little different to making unprovable claims.

Until whoever this emergency services person is puts their name to that statement, it is simply a rumor, and a rather nasty one at that. If this emergency services person puts their name to it, however, they will most likely be investigated for breaching privacy. They have already committed this offense once by revealing this information to Ari.

No matter what the person involved has done, releasing sensitive information (i.e. dying words – stuff that hasn’t been reported in the media) is still a breach of the trust people involved in emergency services work are given. If an emergency services person reveals this information, how do we know they won’t leak the details of say, a suicide? I don’t think anyone on this site could rightly say they would want those details released if it was a loved one of theirs.

The rumor is also rather vague, ‘along the lines of’. It also pays no attention to the fact that ‘Mully’ was dying, which can skew people’s priorities.

Justin Williams may have been foolish in his actions and the consequences appear to be the fault of no-one but himself (although, the police officers’ actions will need to be investigated – but there is nothing to show they were at fault and I do feel sorry for them having had to witness such a terrible thing), but to further demonize him with hearsay and/or clear breaches of him and his family’s privacy is nothing short of irresponsible.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 4:02 pm 06 Apr 10

Publicly gloating about someone who died in a car accident – now that’s classy.

DavoDavo DavoDavo 2:21 pm 06 Apr 10

Tooks said :

p1 said :

A memorial has appeared in a fitting place in Woden.

Yep, definitely a fitting place for his memorial. Classy bloke, classy friends.

Not much more to add to that, is there?

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com