News

Working together, enriching lives

Four killed in Canberra police chase

jennybel75 6 April 2010 484

[First filed: Mar 21, 2010 @ 9:42]

[Edtheres more to this story than most have heard, we’re sure more will come out in the following days. The RiotACT has heard some rumors about the driver and where he was before the chase, who the occupants of the second car were and what the outcomes of this incident for the police and on certain parts of Canberra community will be. We’ll let you know more when able.]

The SMH is reporting that 4 people were killed on the Monaro highway last night after a car which was involved in a police chase hit another car carring 2 adults and a child. All occupants of the car that was hit died and the driver of the car being pursued also died and the female passanger is currently in Canberra hospital.

Very, very sad news.

[Ed – UrbanAdventure.org also sent in the below story]

Four Killed in Canberra Police chase

I was saddened to read the news that four people were killed in a car accident in Canberra as result of a car being chased by police colliding with another car. It appears that the car was chased from Queanbeyan into the ACT and collided with another car at the intersection of Canberra Ave and the Monaro Highway off ramp in Narrabundah. Three innocent victims in the second car, two adults and a baby were killed as well as the driver of the chased car. Very sad indeed.

I’m not going to discuss the rights or wrongs of police chases. I have to wonder though at the mentality of those that seek to escape from the police in such a way. The news is full of stories of the deadly ends to such police chases. I mean police have special training to drive at high speed (well I hope they do), they have radios and other police cars. They have helicopters, computers, a whole bunch of people who’s sole job in life is to catch criminals.

What makes some one think “I can outrun these people?” or “I can get away from this?” as adverse to “Oh shit this will cost me a fine or maybe my licence?” A fine can be costly yes, but usually it is a few hundred dollars and I have read that you can arrange to pay it off. Even on my next to non existent income I’d rather pay a fine than risk my, and some one else’s life. I could not imagine the guilt and grief caused by endangering some one’s life or indeed killing them.

What makes people do this? What can be done to prevent it?

I figure one option is to have police call off the chase once a number plate is recorded. Then look the driver up on a database, get their phone number and ring them (or their parents) in an effort to get them to slow down and give them the opportunity to turn themselves in. I don’t know if that would work. But it would be better than these needless deaths.

484 Responses to Four killed in Canberra police chase
sloppery sloppery 11:10 am 09 Apr 10

Deadmandrinking said :

Clown Killer said :

Can you source or retract your allegation please?

Having had the chance to talk to a couple of people who have had a professional involvement with the incident I believe that it’s fair to say that Ari’s acquaintance has painted an exceptionally accurate picture of what went on that night.

Sorry, but that doesn’t cut it. Someone in emergency services needs to put their name to it. People posting under aliases quoting unnamed and unidentifiable sources is slack information. Nobody at this point can prove whether both you and Ari are making this up.

So what? If you don’t like it or agree with it, don’t believe it. As usual, you’re picking at others while offering nothing yourself.

sepi sepi 11:10 am 09 Apr 10

I don’t think Ari’s statement needs to be made official by emergency services. It is not a nice thing for either family to have to read.

But I don’t see any great reason to not comment about it either. Respect for the dead/underprivileged whatever is one thing, but when someone has crossed every line you can think of, (eg – killing a baby through criminal stupidity), why bother sticking up for them/their memory?

sepi sepi 10:14 am 09 Apr 10

The most amazing thing is that he seems to have had friends and girlfriends. Yet he was possibly brain damaged, walked with a stick and into drugs and stealing and crashing cars.

Ari Ari 10:01 am 09 Apr 10

Hey Clown Killer, you do know you shouldn’t be talking to people who really know what went on.

I’ve been told by a logical genius on this site that it has the potential to disrupt the very fabric of our society, maybe even space and time.

If Canberra gets sucked into a black hole, it will be your fault 😉

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 9:14 am 09 Apr 10

Clown Killer said :

Can you source or retract your allegation please?

Clown Killer Clown Killer 6:28 am 09 Apr 10

Can you source or retract your allegation please?

buzz819 buzz819 11:25 pm 08 Apr 10

Deadmandrinking said :

Ari said :

I prefer to follow Voltaire’s approach: “To the dead we owe only the truth.”

I prefer the logical approach.

Can you source or retract your allegation please?

“We owe respect to the living. To the dead we owe only truth.”

There’s a heap of them there;

“Prejudices are what fools use for reason.”

“No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.”

“Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.”

I don’t understand why you would get so upset over a quote?

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 8:54 pm 08 Apr 10

Ari said :

I prefer to follow Voltaire’s approach: “To the dead we owe only the truth.”

I prefer the logical approach.

Can you source or retract your allegation please?

sloppery sloppery 4:53 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

I think a lot of people here have been abusive and nasty. That is written fact. Good on you. I don’t see any good in it.

The behaviour I see here is just nasty and abusive.

So are we abusive and nasty, or nasty and abusive? It’s a real conundrum.

buzz819 buzz819 4:48 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

The behaviour I see here is just nasty and abusive. So I guess you’re just a bunch of nasty people calling other “nasty” people names. That is what I see. Justify as you might, you still are not actually moving our community forward. Just dividing it.

I don’t see much difference in many of the printed views and the stuff Mully wrote on face book. Just different subjects. Do you see the hypocrisy in your approach. To me you are all one in the same.

I missed something out of that, now you are saying that we are the same as junkie scum, who you want to be known as, but you don’t want to be known as being like us, even though we are the same as the junkie scum?

buzz819 buzz819 4:47 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

I see what your getting at, I really do, Jim has also said umm blah blah blah…

His rants were about how the Police should die and he couldn’t be caught… Umm kinda showed him what for…

I actually met the bloke a couple of times, I must say he was a bit of a cock, does it help that I’m going off personal experience?

Jim Jones Jim Jones 4:31 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

That’s about the state of it: a pack of feral animals snarling at a dead dog lying in the gutter.

rb rb 3:26 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

Jim I could not read past the first page of this post as it was just the same riotact hypocrisy and discrimination against dead people that we have seen consistently when it comes to a death like this. More of the same. Its funny how the spit flecked mob always shout for murder and killing of people.

I for one am more than happy to be a Scumbag Junkie rather then participate in a Canberra community full of such vitriol, discrimination and abuse. My guess would be that Mully and Scott would agree with me. Some of you aren’t even on drugs and still talk crap. Really what’s your excuse for being so hate filled and bad mannered?

I would much rather that Mully lived so that he could be appropiately punished for the rest of his life for all of the crimes that he commited.

fgzk said :

So people forced him to steal people’s property, endanger people’s lives and be a total sh*t head among other things?

fgzk fgzk 2:56 pm 08 Apr 10

buzz819 buzz819 2:15 pm 08 Apr 10

I’m sorry fgzk, vague media references? I told you the stories?

I’m not mad about any personal experience, I’m upset by people like you who would rather turn a blind eye to the problems and believe that someone must be a good person because other people hate how they poison society?

When you go out and do a days work, I mean a real day’s work, getting your hands dirty, helping other people, being their when you need to make a split second decision, having to make the hard choices. Then on top of that you get people like yourself that would rather see the good in bad and the bad in good, then you come back to me and you tell me how hard done by these people are.

You haven’t given any rhyme nor reason as to why you think the people on the board are wrong and why you are right.

It really isn’t a case of “It doesn’t matter if your right or wrong, just as long as your definite.”

Oh and on a side note, I’m glad you don’t want to identify yourself as being on this side of the community.

sloppery sloppery 1:58 pm 08 Apr 10

sloppery said :

fgzk said :

The Justice system has always existed. Why do you think it would be the solution if it in your own words (sloppery), it does nothing? Yet you still turn to it. How predictable.

Most of our society operates within the wider system of justice within the ACT. People get cranky when their is a perception is is not operating effectively, and people are being hurt as a result. As such, there are some people who are using this as an opportunity to stick it to someone they see as a criminal scumbag. It’s not particularly nice, no, but hardly a reason to fly into a hysterical flap.

Sorry some corrections:

1) Should be ‘there’, not ‘their’
2) Should be ‘it is’, not ‘is is’
3) Should be ‘was a criminal scumbag’, not ‘is a criminal scumbag’

sloppery sloppery 1:56 pm 08 Apr 10

fgzk said :

preacher preacher 1:51 pm 08 Apr 10

Clown Killer said :

fgzk, if someone lives like a dog, then they should expect others to treat them like a dog. Simple as that. It’s not malice. There’s no hatred. Williams deliberately chose the life he led. I just write it as I see it.

What have you got against dogs? Mully wasn’t worthy of being called a dog.

fgzk fgzk 1:42 pm 08 Apr 10

Yes clown Killer you write as you see it. Who are you? What have you seen?

Did you see Williams make a deliberate choice to live like what ever you think he lived like. No. Did you ever see Williams…………………?

I treat my dog just like I treat anyone. They are not so different to people. Kick a dog enough and you will eventually get bitten.

fgzk fgzk 1:23 pm 08 Apr 10

I don’t think I did condone their behaviour what ever that was. I think I implied that Id rather be identify with scumbags and Junkies then be part of “your” community that expresses itself in such a predictable, Hate filled way.

Buzz you really have just done the same old. Made claims about what was, when it wasn’t. Peppered it with abusive assumptions. Backed up with vague references to the media and supported by a common personal experience that you are still angry about. So what. Where does that get us all as a community. Is it any real surprise that a whole lot of people couldn’t care less about your so called moral values. I certainly don’t.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.