[First filed: Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:03]
Some more thoughts on the burning of the Downer Club:
- 1) In the last few months people well known to me attempted to gain entrance to have a look around. It was bolted up so well they gave up.
2) This means whomever was responsible for the suspicious fire either had special means or was particularly motivated.
3) Despite this the police are making the highly unusual step of not forensically investigating the fire.
4) This is is because the Tradies Club, who owned it before looting the poker licences and letting it run down to the point it could hopefully be rezoned for building apartments, had let it run down to such a dangerous state.
5) Over the years the club has been closed anyone trying to lease it from the Tradies has been turned away without interest.
I leave the drawing of further conclusions as an exercise for the reader.
The real losers are the local astronomers who invested so heavily in the site as a community facility before the change of management.