Ginger beer in Canberra

johnboy 20 March 2009 66

So as to stop the moronic chuckleheads polluting the Folk Festival thread, let us here discuss the where’s and whyfores of alcoholic ginger beer in Canberra.

Is the store bought stuff up to scratch? What’s the best way to make your own?

Knock yourselves out.

66 Responses to Ginger beer in Canberra
I-filed I-filed 6:46 pm 20 Mar 09

Skidbladnir said :

Johnboy is trapped in the 1940s.

A pink-gin-punk?

astrojax astrojax 6:45 pm 20 Mar 09

i can still recall my granny’s ginger beer – didn’t work out til much later that we only got a small sip, ’cause two or more sips woulda had us smashed tykes! remember it was yum but, and wanting more…

taco taco 5:06 pm 20 Mar 09

Not having the space to give home brew a try, I’m rather partial to Stones Ginger Beer, available from most liquor stores for $16 to $18 a 6-pack.

p1 p1 3:57 pm 20 Mar 09

Another vote for U-Brew-It in Hume. http://www.ubrewit.com.au/canning/

I find it interesting that they put ye olde sixpack ring device on. Didn’t we stop seeing those because they kill penguins/whales/Africans?

Danman Danman 3:50 pm 20 Mar 09

LOL – funny you mention things and OT (Sorry JB) but my wife was telling me about a poor old diabetic fella in the hospital that had to have his 3 middle toes amputated.

His only gripe (Bless the old digger) was that he could not wear thongs anymore.

Made me smile

Disposable Disposable 2:55 pm 20 Mar 09

Danman: No worries mate. I’m sure they will come out with one soon.

Canberra Cellars in Belco, next to the Woolies servo, were giving away a free pair of Stone’s thongs with a case last Saturday. I assume they will still have some as they had a huge box of them.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 2:40 pm 20 Mar 09

Next time you’re in Brew Your Own At Home ask about OzTops. Makes fantastic apple cider (just tip the top off a bottle of juice from the supermarket, add yeast and change the lid) and pizza/pasta quality sparkling red in 24 hours.

750 g root ginger
2 kg white sugar
One whole lemon chopped
One whole orange chopped
2 cloves

Place in a large pot, cover with two litres water, bring to the boil, simmer for 15 mins, cool. Strain and keep the ‘cordial’ in the fridge. Dilute 1 to 3 with water, add yeast and an OzTops lid, ferment as for juice.

hk0reduck hk0reduck 2:34 pm 20 Mar 09

Another vote for U-Brew-It in Hume. http://www.ubrewit.com.au/canning/

I think Ginger Beer is one of their more popular brews.

You can get 100 cans of sweet organic Ginger beer within about 3 weeks.

Instant Mash Instant Mash 2:20 pm 20 Mar 09

Stone’s ginger beer is pretty delicious.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:18 pm 20 Mar 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

Question – would you use cut chillis during initial fermentation, or during secondary? What’s the difference/effects?

Only secondary. If you add during primary, it will often ruin the batch. You slice a chilli down the middle and whack it in the bottle during bottling. It gives it a spicy overtone and that aftershock warmth, which gives the ginger beer a lot more ‘zing’ (if you know what I mean).

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 1:47 pm 20 Mar 09

I’m a keen brewer, and have tried a few ginger beer variants. One of the things that gives a strong and interesting flavour is to add cut pitted dates to the fermenter in place of some of the sugar/dextrose. I also find that honey provides a nice flavour, but you don’t want to use too much, as it can get a bit over powering.

Danman Danman 12:47 pm 20 Mar 09

Disposable, My error indeed, I was wholly confused, I meant stones make a mean Ginger Beer, that is alcoholic, Bundy do do ginger beer, but its a soft drink.

Glad you didnt go out there on the strength of my advice.

Really though your best bet is home made is quite easy and a million times better than any commercial product.

OzChick OzChick 12:43 pm 20 Mar 09

Stone’s Ginger Beer from your local liquor store is quite nice. ?

jessieduck jessieduck 12:32 pm 20 Mar 09

Americanberran said :

Danman in the cellar?…hmmmmmm, I was thinking more like dungeon. OK I’ll stop; he’s hardly worthy of stalkdom, lol.

Far out you just keep hanging on don’t you? You should re-name yourself the American pitbull.

RandomGit RandomGit 12:15 pm 20 Mar 09

2. Or Vodka.

johnboy johnboy 12:14 pm 20 Mar 09

Sorry, yes, the honey in place of the sugar.

Disposable Disposable 12:14 pm 20 Mar 09

Danman said :

Disposable, in reference to your querstion in th eother thread – I get Bundy Ginger Beer from Danman Denman Cellars in Gunghalin, near the Pizza Haven(?) there.

Do you mean non-alcoholic Bundaberg? I think we got mixed up there. I just rang them and they only have the non-alcoholic version and are out of that at the moment. Alcoholic Bundy would be the goods.

grundy grundy 12:12 pm 20 Mar 09

1. Buy Bundy Ginger Beer
2. Add Metho
3. Drink

jessieduck jessieduck 12:12 pm 20 Mar 09

When I was little my Mum used to make ginger beer in a bucket- I remember she added saltanas as part of her special blend. I think you knew the brew was good to go when the sultanas rose to the top and had bubbles on them…

Disposable Disposable 12:09 pm 20 Mar 09

Granny said :

Maybe everyone could bring along their ginger beer and we could have judges and stuff.

I am up for that! I’ll have to brew some first though.