Ginger beer in Canberra

johnboy 20 March 2009 66

So as to stop the moronic chuckleheads polluting the Folk Festival thread, let us here discuss the where’s and whyfores of alcoholic ginger beer in Canberra.

Is the store bought stuff up to scratch? What’s the best way to make your own?

Knock yourselves out.

66 Responses to Ginger beer in Canberra
ant ant 12:14 am 22 Mar 09

I have a relative allergic to wheat AND corn, so I had to delve into what was in the various brewing sugars. Turned out the only sugar she can have is… sugar.

Rice is OK too, but I haven’t found any sugars made from that.

Pickle Pickle 11:48 pm 21 Mar 09

Thanks Ant, I think in OZ the origin of dextrose/glucose is often wheat.

I pinched this from Wikipedia:
Glucose is produced commercially via the enzymatic hydrolysis of starch. Many crops can be used as the source of starch. Maize, rice, wheat, cassava and sago are all used in various parts of the world. In the United States, cornstarch (from maize) is used almost exclusively.

Although it is about bread, this is the article that made me start thinking that adding dextrose to homebrew might have caused my problems.

Granny Granny 10:35 pm 21 Mar 09

Keep us posted with the progress, ant. I used to say ‘berk’ all the time. I’d forgotten about ‘berk’. Who knew?

ant ant 9:40 pm 21 Mar 09

Well, I made my batch of ginger beer today, complete with fried honey and many slices of ginger floating around in it. I hope they don’t rot or something. The gladwrap on top is already rising up as the yeasts get going.

cranky cranky 7:29 pm 21 Mar 09

OT, but following on from the above.

A term which has fortunately fallen into disuse is ‘berk’.

Derived from rhyming slang, the full saying is ‘Berkshire Hunt’.

I leave it to your imagination the word which rhymes with this term.

Not as innocuous as it seemed.

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 1:08 pm 21 Mar 09

cranky said :

Or the local equivelent is engineer.

Being from the East-end I love rhyming slang. My dad used it occasionally at home and some family over there still do. To this day one of my favourite insults is to call someone a Merchant (as in Merchant Banker).

OT – Ginger Beer, home Brew etc. you can’t go past Col at Brew You Own at Kambah (back of fteh shops). He occasionally holds classes on Sunday’s.

ant ant 10:17 am 21 Mar 09

I think Dextrose is made from corn. Might you be intolerant of corn, maybe? it’s a fairly common intolerance.

Disposable Disposable 10:09 am 21 Mar 09

Can anyone tell me whether there really is someone at the Folkie who sells alcoholic ginger beer?

Pickle Pickle 9:40 am 21 Mar 09

At some point I switched to adding dextrose to home brew beer, Soon after I became constantly tired like chronic fatigue but not quite unable to concentrate etc. I blamed alcohol and stopped home brewing.
10 years later I finally figured out that I was reacting to Maltose, which is apparently what dextrose/glucose is usually derived from.
I was wondering if anyone else has made this connection?

postmanpat postmanpat 9:30 am 21 Mar 09

+1 for Stones Ginger beer

Granny Granny 11:40 pm 20 Mar 09

Good luck with the brewing, ant!

ant ant 11:33 pm 20 Mar 09

johnboy said :

Sorry, yes, the honey in place of the sugar.

Ah ha. Well that figures, I guess, or you’d end up with 10% or thereabouts. Got a kilo pot of Coles honey and a vast pile of quite juicy-looking ginger tonight, and have had a ginger beer kit sitting around for ages.

Now then! On to Jim Jones’ chilli thing. My jalapenos are busy pushing out the good things. So. When you add chillis to your bottles, how long do you keep it for? cos I’m figuring that the chillies might start to go off? Now, dried chillies would work better as they’d not go off.

Granny Granny 9:20 pm 20 Mar 09

Well, that is funny!

cranky cranky 9:05 pm 20 Mar 09

Or the local equivelent is engineer.

cranky cranky 9:04 pm 20 Mar 09

Raving queer rings a bell.

Granny Granny 8:59 pm 20 Mar 09

Ye gods! Rhyming slang for what?

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 8:56 pm 20 Mar 09

Not having the space to give home brew a try, I’m rather partial to Stones Ginger Beer, available from most liquor stores for $16 to $18 a 6-pack.

I can home brew 28-30 longnecks of alcoholic ginger beer for less $$ than that!

farnarkler farnarkler 8:54 pm 20 Mar 09

If Pommy Bastard reads this they’ll share my smirk. Ginger beer is rhyming slang in the UK.

Granny Granny 8:52 pm 20 Mar 09

Yes, ’cause I still don’t have any ginger beer. You’d think somebody would’ve offered me some, but no!

astrojax astrojax 6:47 pm 20 Mar 09