Given a chance will cyclists do the right thing?

By Dilandach 12 March 2013 177

…Sadly, the answer is an unsurprising ‘no’.

Walking down the celebrations along the lake on the NLA side, I came across this sign:

Main entrance 1

But I was perplexed by what I saw, surely that would mean that people would be dismounting due to an event where there are crowds of people and small children around? Surely cyclists would do the right thing and follow the direction instead of what I saw, a select group of people being selfish and ploughing through the crowd in a “me first” attitude.

Perhaps there’s a misunderstanding here, maybe the hapless fools who organised the event have only placed the sign on one end of the stretch and people have just not seen it?

Entrance 2

No, that’s not it. They’re just self absorbed jerks.

So I took it upon myself to both observe and gently remind a few people that the sign there was not a suggestion like riding through red lights or riding full speed in family areas. What did I see? Most of the casual rider groups upon seeing the sign would dismount and do the right thing. The majority of those wearing the spandex getups would see the signs but that is about it, they’d just continue riding through the crowd. I even went to the effort of doing a “oi!” whilst pointing at the sign, all I got were fingers or just a look and peddling off into the crowds.

Strangely I didn’t see any cars driving through showing the same level disrespect.

I took a few photos before I got tired of seeing it over and over. This is exactly why people get pissed at cyclists (I also overheard a comment regarding it from a random passer by). Its a direction for the safety of everyone, not just a suggestion that you can power peddle through. There were young children and decent sized crowds. If anyone there was riding through the crowds, lets hear the justification for it, the signs were up and all around so that isn’t an excuse. A lot of people were dismounting, why weren’t you?

spandex2
drug runner

Tags

What’s Your opinion?

177 Responses to
Given a chance will cyclists do the right thing?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
Jethro 9:57 pm 13 Mar 13

This thread reminds me of Homer’s Odyssey.

dpm 9:48 pm 13 Mar 13

Dilandach said :

Are you new to this site?

And from JB himself: “It’s true, the mully judging panel prizes novelty, and takes a dim view of efforts to inflate the comment total to sway it.”

First thing, obviously the comment about turning up in a horsehead mask wearing a full suit and on a bike was far too subtle for you. Here’s something for you to hopefully get “Not serious. Not even close to the spirit of the Mully.” but let me know if it was still too subtle.

Secondly, you’d use a post from a lot further back than two weeks ago when trying to trot out that line. Another couple of fails for you to add to your pile I guess.

The other issue for mully status is you yourself have contributed ~25% of the comments. There’s 2-post nutters, but you’re in a different league! Hahahaha!
I mean, with this last post of yours (#156) you’ve even moved on to arguing with yourself!! Hahahaha! Go you good thing!

Dilandach 8:52 pm 13 Mar 13

Are you new to this site?

Girt_Hindrance 8:17 pm 13 Mar 13

Canberroid said :

Canberroid said :

G-Fresh said :

In summary, Dilandech, nobody agrees with you. You are dismissed.

Saying it doesn’t make it so 🙂

But it’s a rule! You have to follow it.

Waaa I don’t have any point to make so I’ll just insert this one here because I’ve run out of things to rage about waaa.

Actually my point was highly relevant. I accept your admission of defeat and congratulate you on your mully campaign success – combining ridiculous signage and cyclist bashing with some trolltastic selective replies and logic was a top notch effort.

Actually quite irrelevant. Defeat? Wishful thinking on your part.

Ask for the mully? Well I don’t want to count my mully before they’ve crashed.

Stupid auto correct. “as for the mully, I don’t want to count my mullys before they’ve crashed..”

Are you new to this site?

Masquara 7:00 pm 13 Mar 13

chewy14 said :

This thread is straight to a mully with a bullet.

We can simply cut and paste the responses for the next car vs cyclist or speeding thread, they’ll pretty much be the same.

JB indicated very firmly, I recall, that anti-cyclist threads won’t qualify for the mully.

dtc 6:28 pm 13 Mar 13

ooh, look, motorists also do the wrong thing

Lets face it, a large proportion of everyone thinks some rules dont apply to them/they can bend the rules/they are too skilled to follow the rules

milkman 5:13 pm 13 Mar 13

johnboy said :

What about the huge numbers of people who ride bicycles without lycra?

Not committed enough.

rigseismic67 4:38 pm 13 Mar 13

Dilandach
How dare you question Canberra’s lycra clad community, they are all beyond reproach as can be seen by the comments. They can do no wrong- in fact most should be in Rome at present vying for the top job.

Dilandach 4:34 pm 13 Mar 13

Canberroid said :

Canberroid said :

G-Fresh said :

In summary, Dilandech, nobody agrees with you. You are dismissed.

Saying it doesn’t make it so 🙂

But it’s a rule! You have to follow it.

Actually quite irrelevant. Defeat? Wishful thinking on your part.

Ask for the mully? Well I don’t want to count my mully before they’ve crashed.

Dilandach 4:32 pm 13 Mar 13

Canberroid said :

Canberroid said :

G-Fresh said :

In summary, Dilandech, nobody agrees with you. You are dismissed.

Saying it doesn’t make it so 🙂

But it’s a rule! You have to follow it.

Actually quite irrelevant. Defeat? Wishful thinking on your part.

Ask for the mully? Well I don’t want to count my mully before they’ve crashed.

Solidarity 4:22 pm 13 Mar 13

This thing has gone on for so long that i’ve actually run out of hate for the lycra brigade.

For the next half hour anyway, then i’ll be back on my bike so I assume it’ll be about 15.5 seconds before I see one of them and shout abuse at them due to their arrogance or negligence.

Canberroid 4:18 pm 13 Mar 13

Canberroid said :

G-Fresh said :

In summary, Dilandech, nobody agrees with you. You are dismissed.

Saying it doesn’t make it so 🙂

But it’s a rule! You have to follow it.

Jim Jones 4:16 pm 13 Mar 13

Jim Jones said :

No. I’m pretty happy with myself by and large.

How you going there?

Oh not too bad, bit hungry still after eating my apple. Hoping my bus turns up today unlike yesterday and ended up having to take the magical mystery bus tour with an alternative bus to get home. Looking forward to my walk home… but overall, not bad not bad.

You should have ridden a bike. You’d be home by now.

😉

Dilandach 4:02 pm 13 Mar 13

Jim Jones said :

No. I’m pretty happy with myself by and large.

How you going there?

Jim Jones 3:58 pm 13 Mar 13

Jim Jones said :

Dilandach said :

Follow the rules! Nag nag nag.

Anyone who’s ever ridden a bike: “No … get f&^ked.”

All the angry fat people: “Cyclists are terrible people. Lycra-clad brigade … blah blah anecdote blah blah.”

You must have some pretty low self image if you need to try and paint others as sub human 😉

No. I’m pretty happy with myself by and large.

How you going there?

Dilandach 3:50 pm 13 Mar 13

Canberroid said :

G-Fresh said :

In summary, Dilandech, nobody agrees with you. You are dismissed.

Saying it doesn’t make it so 🙂

But it’s a rule! You have to follow it.

Dilandach 3:49 pm 13 Mar 13

DrKoresh said :

This whole thread is ludicrous and Dilandach has exposed himself as a total bore, but at least he’s succeeded in drawing a few knobs like you out of the wood-work.

Maybe I was just going to turn up to a Mully signing wearing a full suit, a horse mask and sitting on a bike? 😉

Dilandach 3:48 pm 13 Mar 13

Jim Jones said :

Dilandach said :

Follow the rules! Nag nag nag.

Anyone who’s ever ridden a bike: “No … get f&^ked.”

Canberroid 3:28 pm 13 Mar 13

G-Fresh said :

In summary, Dilandech, nobody agrees with you. You are dismissed.

Saying it doesn’t make it so 🙂

But it’s a rule! You have to follow it.

bundah 3:28 pm 13 Mar 13

What is the fascination with cyclists on RA that invokes a gazillion responses? FFS just get off ya bike!

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.