Googong pipeline protest

johnboy 9 December 2011 108

Here in the Eagle’s Nest we think the Murrumbidgee to Googong Pipeline is a brilliant idea. But not everyone’s a fan.

Charlotte Meany has posted this video and sent an open letter to the Minister:

Dear Minister,

The Murrumbidgee to Googong pipeline water transfer is a horrific project happening right on
our doorstep here in Burra. It will be responsible for destroying the delicate eco-system here
which is far more important to future generations than 150 million dollars worth of profit in
company wins and jobs.

You are in one of ACTEW’s videos promoting it. Interesting none of those videos allow comments!

Well my little protesting one does so please go and have a look and please make a comment:

While you are there please take note of the publication which can be acquired from Enviroment Dept!

Instructing AGAINST the use of pipeline for drought solution.

Regards,

Charlotte Meany

screenshot

108 Responses to Googong pipeline protest
fgzk fgzk 8:32 pm 12 Dec 11

Please stop ceam. Its a pointless exercise.

CC I think I see a pattern with you. You have quiet a passion for attacking women on RA.

ceam ceam 8:23 pm 12 Dec 11

The egg business discontinued a year ago for your information. But the abusive email I received this afternoon to my email has been informally reported and I suggest the perpetrator send an apology before I report them formally which would lead to charges.

As for accusations of “hating” Canberrans- I went to school there and it is has been my home on and off for many years- the difference is I don’t waste water like many do in nearly every major city.

But as soon as I start receiving “hate mail” for exercising my democratic right I know I am putting my family and myself at risk so because the message and violations stemmed from this forum I can no longer debate in here.

fgzk fgzk 8:06 pm 12 Dec 11

This was only ever going to end in tears. Seeing as people are so keen to identify others, maybe you could put your own name up. Just so we know who is who. Eliminate any conflict of interest. Stand up for what you believe in and all that.

el el 7:59 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

tl;dr, another typical NIMBY rant.

Well, I’m convinced. I’m off to have my last 3 showers of the day – once I’ve finished watering the driveway.

creative_canberran creative_canberran 7:21 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

You see unless you’ve really lived on the land and seen how desperate it can be you wouldn’t know that leaving water taps on while brushing your teeth and the other myriad of ways people waste water regardless of population growth is not a good idea and people should have water tanks and treat water like the precious resource it is. Not plunder our way through natural parks and reserves in some panic attack for more votes or jobs which will just slap us all back HARD in the face.

Stop trying to hide your true intent behind environmentalism. Your clear intent is a backwards us vs them mentality. Red necks vs yuppies, city vs country. You have it tougher on the land so your immediate logic is to attack those who have it better. Typical tall poppy syndrome.

As a matter of interest, which Canberra cafes by the way use your eggs?

creative_canberran creative_canberran 7:15 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

And I am not hiding behind fake names to spurt hate comments just because someone is against a public work.

Curiously the Ingebra Eggs website does not feature your name anywhere.

Erg0 Erg0 7:13 pm 12 Dec 11

Postalgeek said :

ceam said :

Where does one buy membership to this Real Australians™ Club? And do they have a dress code? Sounds delighfully exclusive.

It’s worth noting that the first point in the “what else we can do?” section of the document she refers to is “Improving rural water use efficiency”. Turns out the Real Australians have been to blame all along!

Erg0 Erg0 7:11 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

” A pipeline from Burra to Canberra is hardly on the scale of the other proposals discussed, so what makes you so certain that the conclusion of the document applies more than the above quote?”

The length of the pipeline has no bearing on the damage down at the source ie., the pumping station at the river and the output pumped through creek beds at the reserve. It wouldn’t matter if the pipe were 600kms or the current 20km – the damage remains the same either end.

I’d contend that it doesn’t, as the volume of water being moved and the size/impact of the equipment will be substantially different. That’s beside the point, though, because what I’m illustrating is that your contention that no water pipeline will ever work is unsupported by the document you cite. If you want to complain about the impact on the nature reserve at the end of the road then go ahead, but all your talk about water management is just a post hoc justification for the fact that you don’t like someone digging up your town.

ceam ceam 7:06 pm 12 Dec 11

chewy14 said :

Every drop of water in Googong dam has to be pumped through a pipeline for use in Canberra.

By ceams logic, it doesn’t work and must be a failure right?

This is a NATIONAL PARK and as it says in the NATIONAL PARKS ASSOCIATION OF THE ACT
http://www.npaact.org.au/category.php?id=6 under Nature and Purpose:

” A key element of Namadgi National Park is its unique natural landforms and panoramic scenery. NPA ACT strongly supports the protection of these essential environmental elements from any incursions or disturbances, such as communication towers, power lines, pipelines or road works.”

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE BEFORE MAKING ANY FURTHER COMMENTS omg

creative_canberran creative_canberran 6:59 pm 12 Dec 11

Indeed the way she talks, it sounds more like her issue is a hatred of city dwellers, and perhaps a perception that rural residents aren’t looked after rather than any real problem with the pipe. She spends so much of the time just going on and on about the water being for Canberra. Swimming and the eco system sound like attempts to hide her true intent.

The intent being to say “Ingebra Eggs hates Canberra”.

ceam said :

I allow all comments that do not make personal attacks or violate privacy. I am a mother and this is our home and when people make comments which threaten our security that is illegal and rightfully so.

Illegal… great, another backyard legal expert who’s got it wrong.

Nice job Charlotte. Hopefully the customers of Canberra will hear this vitriol and vote with their wallets.

And a public service announcement for Canberra egg consumers, this from the Ingebra website:

“We do not refrigerate or clean the eggs to avoid possible contamination and sweating.”

US authorities warn that EITHER not cleaning or not refrigerating eggs at the production end greatly increases the hazard to consumers an they are introducing strict guidelines to require producers to do both. The fact that you do neither is extremely poor and puts your customers at far greater risk.

ceam ceam 6:49 pm 12 Dec 11

chewy14 chewy14 6:38 pm 12 Dec 11

By ceams logic, it doesn’t work and must be a failure right?

Postalgeek Postalgeek 6:34 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

longshanks longshanks 6:25 pm 12 Dec 11

Hey CHARLOTTE – really long POSTS with random words in capitals are NOT going to help you WIN any debates. Instead of getting all WORKED UP, why don’t you simply ADDRESS the concerns people have about the LACK OF SUBSTANCE to your arguments?

Hint: you could start off by acknowledging that you don’t actually know a single person living in Canberra who has 3 or more showers a day, and that your attempt to portray all Canberra residents as being water-wasting eco-hating BADDIES was misguided and just plain WRONG!

Erg0 Erg0 6:14 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

If you read that document from page to page it talks about every pipeline around Australia except this current one because it is not in existence yet. It is debating OTHER and BETTER methods to combat water shortages.. but what is the point in explaining? You are acting like pigheaded pollies not people who really want to learn something. You’ve all completely ignored the points brought up in the document I gave link to and the young man’s video recently in protest of brumby’s pipeline. You have made up your minds and there is no amount of education that will change that because you don’t actually read or listen.

I’m sorry, but the document just isn’t what you say/think it is. It is almost entirely about various long pipelines that have been proposed to move large amounts of water from the north of the country to the south. In discussion of currently existing pipelines, it says: “In particular circumstances and places, pipelines can be a useful way to improve the availability and reliability of our water supply.” A pipeline from Burra to Canberra is hardly on the scale of the other proposals discussed, so what makes you so certain that the conclusion of the document applies more than the above quote?

ceam ceam 5:23 pm 12 Dec 11

“So your counter-proposal is to wait a while until somebody smarter comes along to solve the problem for us, and hope we don’t have any water shortages in the interim?”

It is not JUST ME- many many canberra people and interstate visitors go to the river and the reserve. I took my sons down to the river yesterday at angle cross and it is in a critical state of excavation and will never be anything else but a pumping station from now on. It will pum deep from the river bed which is precisely where the food source is for living organisms that keep the river clean along the food chain. So besides the place being inhabitable now to anything but workers during some drought in the future when much better methods could be used- actually a combination of methods(AGAIN GO AND READ AND LEARN FOR YOURSELVES- I WILL NOT SPOON FEED IT TO YOU_ IT HAS BEEN PLACED IN A CONVENIENT BOWL BEFORE YOU) THEn not one single person can enjoy that part of river that is actually a well known spot for Canberra people and on top of that the river system will suffer. The entire road going down to the river now looks like a holocaust hit it where once in was scenic beauty for ALL to enjoy.

Down the other end the water will be pumped out of the pipes into the creeks of the RESERVE and this water will not improve creeks but wash away the inhabitants just as a natural disaster does but not at a constant level until there is no hope for nature fighting back and you end up with man made eroded gullies. Again not to mention the UGLINESS it introduces to the Reserve. Not like putting an army station in a national reserve to protect our nation – but a stupid pipeline that will never be needed because by the time another severe drought strikes scientists and politicians will come to their senses and use better methods like tanks and desalination and improvements to dams and actually getting people to STOP wasting so much water.

So there you go- I am one voice on here but I’m very HAPPY to see young people like the young man in the video about Brumby’s pipeline who see through the bullshit and are not afraid to call it as it is. The rest of you can sleep well at night knowing you are part of the problem not solution and I would not be surprised if some of you have political aspirations because that is how thick headed you come across.

One final thing and I bet you all ignore this one…tell me why it is every single ACTEW video on youtube has comments disabled if EVERYONE so loves the idea? And why do all my friends here in Burra hate the idea and my friends further afield? And the environmental lawyer I spoke to today and people who work to preserve land care here that have now been silenced because they are being paid by ACTEW to try and minimize damage done? ..two words …MONEY and VOTES but I’m starting to realize now when humans do stupid selfish things it eventually comes back to them.

I’m glad I am not a sheep like the rest of you and can speak up for what is right. It is very easy to yell in a crowd when you are in the wrong.

matt31221 matt31221 5:21 pm 12 Dec 11

I was getting quite upset at all the negative comments directed towards this lady. Call me old fashioned, I dislike people giving women a hard time.

Then I made the mistake of watching her youtube protest.

All the comments towards her are completely justified. What a twit. Any infrastructure, especially to do with water is good. This will benefit the environment.

No benefits to ‘her’ community? We are ALL Australians, we are the one community Australia wide. Anything that benefits one benefits the whole. What a nimby. No wonder she lives secluded in the bush.

amarooresident3 amarooresident3 5:02 pm 12 Dec 11

I’d suggest waiting until the work has begun and the project has gone through all the approval and consultation phases is probably leaving it a bit late.

Oh, and how passive aggressive is an open letter and home video? Maybe if you write to the Minister directly you might get a reply.

Erg0 Erg0 4:03 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

FEEL is the operative word. This is a big fat white elephant and is not the solution to any future drought problems in Canberra whenever that be in 20 years or 100 years from now. By then we will have a more intelligent generation to solve sustainability issues who would have learnt from the mistakes of past hungry politicians seeking more votes. Mark my words- this pipeline will be egg in their faces and yours who support it.

I’m by no means a die-hard supporter of the project, I’m just not a fan of semi-informed contrarians. So you read a couple of reports which you think support your pre-conceived views, and you spoke to a couple of scientists who disagree with the project but are, I dunno, afraid to speak out? And this qualifies you to tell us with authority that the pipeline won’t work?

You do realise that the paper you linked to is talking about moving water from northern Australia to southern Australia, and thus has no applicability to the current debate, right? The closest proposed pipeline in that document is west of Coffs Harbour, for crying out loud.

Postalgeek Postalgeek 4:01 pm 12 Dec 11

Shower is an anagram for whores. Just saying.

Region Group Pty Ltd