Googong pipeline protest

johnboy 9 December 2011 108

Here in the Eagle’s Nest we think the Murrumbidgee to Googong Pipeline is a brilliant idea. But not everyone’s a fan.

Charlotte Meany has posted this video and sent an open letter to the Minister:

Dear Minister,

The Murrumbidgee to Googong pipeline water transfer is a horrific project happening right on
our doorstep here in Burra. It will be responsible for destroying the delicate eco-system here
which is far more important to future generations than 150 million dollars worth of profit in
company wins and jobs.

You are in one of ACTEW’s videos promoting it. Interesting none of those videos allow comments!

Well my little protesting one does so please go and have a look and please make a comment:

While you are there please take note of the publication which can be acquired from Enviroment Dept!

Instructing AGAINST the use of pipeline for drought solution.

Regards,

Charlotte Meany

screenshot

108 Responses to Googong pipeline protest
broudie17 broudie17 12:47 pm 13 Dec 11

p1 said :

broudie17 said :

@ceam:

“…THEn not one single person can enjoy that part of river that is actually a well known spot for Canberra people and on top of that the river system will suffer. The entire road going down to the river now looks like a holocaust hit it where once in was scenic beauty for ALL to enjoy.”

As a longtime reader, your comment above incensed me so much that I just had to register to respond. Comparing something so minor as a water pipeline to the holocaust (i.e. the calculated genocide of over 6 million people) is unbelievably offensive, crass and insulting. Trivialising one of the worst crimes in human history shows an incredible lack of awareness, and of perspective, which I hope you realise once you re-read your post.

To be fair to ceam, she said “now looks like a holocaust hit it“. While the historical event most associated with that word occurred during world war two, the word actually has a meaning of its own.

Correct: Holocaust originally meant burnt offering in Hebrew. After WW2 however, it has taken on a different meaning, which I would argue that 99% of people people think of when they hear the word.

So although I think you’re indulging in semantics p1, please go ahead and justify how ceam’s use of the holocaust as a simile is so different and is not worthy of contempt. Does the waterpipe construction work look like a concentration camp? Do the pipes viscerally remind one of crematoria? Are millions of humans being killed in its wake? If not, then it is offensive hyperbole, which offends many and trivialises a very serious issue.

fgzk fgzk 12:45 pm 13 Dec 11

Lets not forget the Kangaroos. The ACT maintained that they were a major threat to the catchments water quality and promptly shot 800. Rumor persists that it was actual well connected local residents tired of fixing fences that lobbied for the reduction.

p1 p1 12:36 pm 13 Dec 11

KB1971 said :

The biggest environmental contamination scare I can see are two things, farming chemicals that come from upstream & the introduction of European Carp to Googong but I hope they have taken that into consideration.

Currently the biggest source of contamination in the Burra Creek catchment (and thus Googong Dam) in from septic tanks and inputs to gardens and lawns on all the hobby farms in the area, and run off from dirt roads (sediment load). I doubt the water they are pumping across will be worse.

Carp is something I hadn’t thought of. Is Googong really carp free? If so that is great, and I hope they keep it that way.

fgzk fgzk 11:44 am 13 Dec 11

The old “post it trap” will just add more public ridicule that no doubt will be immortalised in a mully. Leave it be. A lot of proudaustralian here.

KB1971 KB1971 11:44 am 13 Dec 11

ceam said :

chewy14 said :

Every drop of water in Googong dam has to be pumped through a pipeline for use in Canberra.

By ceams logic, it doesn’t work and must be a failure right?

This is a NATIONAL PARK and as it says in the NATIONAL PARKS ASSOCIATION OF THE ACT
http://www.npaact.org.au/category.php?id=6 under Nature and Purpose:

” A key element of Namadgi National Park is its unique natural landforms and panoramic scenery. NPA ACT strongly supports the protection of these essential environmental elements from any incursions or disturbances, such as communication towers, power lines, pipelines or road works.”

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE BEFORE MAKING ANY FURTHER COMMENTS omg

Quick geography lesson, Namadgi NP does not include Angle Crossing:

It is a “Canberra Nature Park” in the Murrumbidgee Corridor for what it is worth. The Googong foreshores are set aside for keeping the water catchment and lake foreshores as clean as possible from contamination and is not a national park.

One of the reasons for you copping so much flack are for your assumptions that everybody in Canberra is a water thief & the vastly incorrect statements like the one above.

I understand some of your concerns but really, once the works are done you will be able to go swimming again at Angle Crossing & there will be a mosquito laden set of mud pools near Burra that will benifit from some constant water flow.

As for the hate mail, that is crap & there is definately no reason for that.

Chop71 Chop71 11:28 am 13 Dec 11

johnboy said :

Charlotte believes one of you lot sent her a nasty email.

Apparently she thinks the police are going to be interested in this.

give the girl a box of tissues to go with her Mully.

Hey Meany, post the email …….. I have no idea from whom or whats written but fair chance it could win flame of the week.!!!

p1 p1 11:19 am 13 Dec 11

broudie17 said :

@ceam:

johnboy johnboy 10:55 am 13 Dec 11

Charlotte believes one of you lot sent her a nasty email.

Apparently she thinks the police are going to be interested in this.

Chop71 Chop71 10:53 am 13 Dec 11

Hairy arm pits…. pew pew.

Give this girl a mully

Mysteryman Mysteryman 10:02 am 13 Dec 11

ceam said :

The egg business discontinued a year ago for your information. But the abusive email I received this afternoon to my email has been informally reported and I suggest the perpetrator send an apology before I report them formally which would lead to charges.

As for accusations of “hating” Canberrans- I went to school there and it is has been my home on and off for many years- the difference is I don’t waste water like many do in nearly every major city.

But as soon as I start receiving “hate mail” for exercising my democratic right I know I am putting my family and myself at risk so because the message and violations stemmed from this forum I can no longer debate in here.

Your “democratic right” is what, exactly? Which one were you exercising?

Lazy I Lazy I 9:45 am 13 Dec 11

broudie17 said :

@ceam:

broudie17 broudie17 9:10 am 13 Dec 11

@ceam:

Keijidosha Keijidosha 12:23 am 13 Dec 11

I’m a little disappointed that the OP has chosen to back out of the debate, but I’ll share my thoughts anyway. My apologies in advance if this becomes another tl;dr comment.

Firstly, the author of the YouTube video about the Victorian North-South pipeline project is (AFIAK) an astroturfer – a hired gun who produces “grass roots” videos on behalf of interest groups. Take what is claimed in his productions with a grain of salt.

Secondly, the text being cited from “Water for the Future” is discussing the use of pipelines to transport water from one catchment valley to another, not water shared/distributed within a catchment. The Murrumbidgee-Googong pipeline is shifting water that will (if unused) be returned to the same river system, and the amount of water transfer being proposed is insignificant compared to large scale irrigation networks elsewhere in the Murray-Darling system, or the Snowy Hydro scheme.

Lastly, if the pipeline is simply an unpalatable solution, what is the better alternative? ACTEW conducted a study into future water options in the early/mid 2000’s and came up with a whole bunch of options. Basically it boiled down to a number of minor works vs building Tennent Dam. I might be wrong, but a pipeline seems far less damaging to the environment than submerging the entire Naas Valley.

It is also worth mentioning that works focused on maximising Googong Dam’s storage capacity aren’t just about drought-proofing Canberra. The 2003 fires showed that our reliance on the Cotter catchment has major implications in an emergency, and that we need to diversify our water harvesting practices.

Don’t get me wrong, there are genuine issues with the Googong pipeline (cold shock, introduction of alien species, erosion, etc), but there are risks and trade-offs with everything we build to provide for human needs.

creative_canberran creative_canberran 10:52 pm 12 Dec 11

fgzk said :

Please stop ceam. Its a pointless exercise.

CC I think I see a pattern with you. You have quiet a passion for attacking women on RA.

au contraire

Mr Evil Mr Evil 10:09 pm 12 Dec 11

creative_canberran said :

As a matter of interest, which Canberra cafes by the way use your eggs?

Silo Bakery???????

Clear_waters Clear_waters 10:08 pm 12 Dec 11

Oh and a song for the moment during these talks of pipes and times of excess water when Climate guru Flannery said it would never flood again.

Clear_waters Clear_waters 9:47 pm 12 Dec 11

One of the nice aspects of this pipe line is the ability of the ACT government to buy extra water licences when required during time of drought. The water purchased can then be dumped out of Tantangra high in the snowy mountains providing higher river flows down river passed the Namagie national park then sucked up into the pipe into Burra creek where it will assist the creek during drought. Once QBN/ACT flush it, shower in it, wash with it, it then gets treated and enters the Murrumbidgee again and continues onto the water original customers being the Murrumbidgee/Murray river irrigators.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 9:09 pm 12 Dec 11

I’ve evidently come across this thread rather late in the day, but I thought I should add my $0.02 worth of derision towards Ms Meany.

Insulting the people you are trying to persuade is generally considered to be poor form in debating land, so the sarcastic “yucky Canberra people” vibe of the video, complete with the crack about 3-4 showers per day left me feeling hostile at best. I’ve lived here on and off for over 30 years, and like most Canberrans I’ve always been a responsible user of water.

This, when combined with a lack of facts and the whiny self-pitying tone of the video makes me feel inclined to put this into the category of bogus nonsense.

fgzk fgzk 9:08 pm 12 Dec 11

Chewy…… well apart from the below link. It has some interesting parallels.

ceam said :

el said :

Would that be the ‘delicate ecosystem’ of large hobby farms and four wheel drives?

I spent from age 17 on an 800 acre working farm so you know nothing- never had a 4 wheel drive in my life.
So no that would be someone who has the same opinion as this guy while watching the environment go to hell:

chewy14 chewy14 8:46 pm 12 Dec 11

ceam said :

chewy14 said :

By ceams logic, it doesn’t work and must be a failure right?

http://www.npaact.org.au/category.php?id=6 under Nature and Purpose:

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE BEFORE MAKING ANY FURTHER COMMENTS omg

No, you said that water tranfers failed economically and socially everywhere they’d been tried.
Do you want to now admit that you’re wrong?
As for your environmental argument, you’ve yet to provide anything that shows that the water transfer will have a significant negative impact that outweighs the benefit.
OMG.