Googong pipeline protest

johnboy 9 December 2011 108

Here in the Eagle’s Nest we think the Murrumbidgee to Googong Pipeline is a brilliant idea. But not everyone’s a fan.

Charlotte Meany has posted this video and sent an open letter to the Minister:

Dear Minister,

The Murrumbidgee to Googong pipeline water transfer is a horrific project happening right on
our doorstep here in Burra. It will be responsible for destroying the delicate eco-system here
which is far more important to future generations than 150 million dollars worth of profit in
company wins and jobs.

You are in one of ACTEW’s videos promoting it. Interesting none of those videos allow comments!

Well my little protesting one does so please go and have a look and please make a comment:

While you are there please take note of the publication which can be acquired from Enviroment Dept!

Instructing AGAINST the use of pipeline for drought solution.

Regards,

Charlotte Meany

screenshot

108 Responses to Googong pipeline protest
chewy14 chewy14 12:48 pm 13 Dec 11

p1 said :

KB1971 said :

The biggest environmental contamination scare I can see are two things, farming chemicals that come from upstream & the introduction of European Carp to Googong but I hope they have taken that into consideration.

Currently the biggest source of contamination in the Burra Creek catchment (and thus Googong Dam) in from septic tanks and inputs to gardens and lawns on all the hobby farms in the area, and run off from dirt roads (sediment load). I doubt the water they are pumping across will be worse.

Apparently there will be a filtering system.
But I’m sure that Charlotte will think all the environmental protection measures won’t work and are just there to help those evil corporations make more money anyway.

KB1971 KB1971 1:01 pm 13 Dec 11

p1 said :

I have no studies to go off, just personal experience. I have never caught one there & never seen any sign such as degradation of the banks, dead fish & such. There may be a small population if there is but its definately nowhere near the populations they are in the Murrumbidgee & other local lakes.

Heaps of redfin though which I will be working on reducing that population once I get my leccy motor for Xmas……..

Thumper Thumper 1:08 pm 13 Dec 11

“Carp is something I hadn’t thought of. Is Googong really carp free? If so that is great, and I hope they keep it that way.”

Can’t be true.

Carp can walk hundreds of miles to find water.

p1 p1 1:21 pm 13 Dec 11

broudie17 said :

Correct: Holocaust originally meant burnt offering in Hebrew. After WW2 however, it has taken on a different meaning, which I would argue that 99% of people people think of when they hear the word.

So although I think you’re indulging in semantics p1, please go ahead and justify how ceam’s use of the holocaust as a simile is so different and is not worthy of contempt. Does the waterpipe construction work look like a concentration camp? Do the pipes viscerally remind one of crematoria? Are millions of humans being killed in its wake? If not, then it is offensive hyperbole, which offends many and trivialises a very serious issue.

Well, actually I would have instantly thought nazis if she said “THE holocaust”, but since she said “A holocaust” it made me think of the total decimation, destruction and corruption of the subject in question, which I would think was exactly what she was trying to portray. If in fact it was her intention to make you all picture jackbooted browncoats herding the poor defenceless eco system into the gas chambers, then she is worse then Hitler.

But to my mind, she used a common word, you made it into a thing.

p1 p1 1:24 pm 13 Dec 11

p1 said :

…BOLD…

Sorry, didn’t mean to shout.

thumper109 thumper109 1:39 pm 13 Dec 11

Some times I find myself actually chortling while I read these threads… How exciting, everything from carp to Nazi’s.

Humans have been “screwing up” the environment literally from the moment our single celled ancestors started producing copious amounts oxygen over 4 billion years ago…. Can you imagine how the greens would have reacted to that climate change?

I must say I do also despair sometimes at the venom and vitriol that permeate these sort of interweb arguments… It does not portray us in a good light. It makes us all look more akin to neanderthals.

Emotion charged, exaggerated outbursts just lead to even more of the same thing… No one looks good and the argument is lost in the noise… Especially on RA with so many trolls just waiting for the next naive person to bait..

I do have a strong opinion on the pipeline mainly because I worked on the Snowy’s for 19 years. I am so over “environmentalists” arguing over pipelines and rivers..

“Life wasn’t meant to be easy”. Time to just let it slide. You need to pick the fights you can win… This one is already over. Time to move on.

creative_canberran creative_canberran 1:50 pm 13 Dec 11

Mysteryman said :

ceam said :

The egg business discontinued a year ago for your information. But the abusive email I received this afternoon to my email has been informally reported and I suggest the perpetrator send an apology before I report them formally which would lead to charges.

As for accusations of “hating” Canberrans- I went to school there and it is has been my home on and off for many years- the difference is I don’t waste water like many do in nearly every major city.

But as soon as I start receiving “hate mail” for exercising my democratic right I know I am putting my family and myself at risk so because the message and violations stemmed from this forum I can no longer debate in here.

Your “democratic right” is what, exactly? Which one were you exercising?

I presume a reference to the “implied freedom of political communication” found by the HC in Australia.
That’s the closest we’ve come in this country to freedom of speech and democratic discourse along the lines of the American constitution which guarantees free speech more broadly.

dpm dpm 2:25 pm 13 Dec 11

creative_canberran said :

fgzk said :

Please stop ceam. Its a pointless exercise.

CC I think I see a pattern with you. You have quiet a passion for attacking women on RA.

au contraire

Women and cyclist-haters?? 😉

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 2:53 pm 13 Dec 11

johnboy said :

Charlotte believes one of you lot sent her a nasty email.

Apparently she thinks the police are going to be interested in this.

Is that in the same way she thinks the Government are going to be interested in her “protest”.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 3:37 pm 13 Dec 11

Late comer to this thread due to my 4, 6 hour daily showers but wow, just wow….

cubicle01 cubicle01 9:20 am 14 Dec 11

I’m really interested by perpetuation of the city/country thing evident here and the lionisation of rural dwellers as somehow being ‘real Australians’ (certain 666 presenters drive me wild with this).

I’ve lived in both country and city and as far as I can tell people as just as; smart, stupid, lazy, creative, greedy, wonderful. I can understand some of the traffic coming from country folk who feel they dont get a fair share but there seems to be a reverse current here as well, is that limited to nimby lifestylers seen here?

bump – this is totally mully worthy.

ceam ceam 2:52 pm 14 Dec 11

MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR REMAINS THIS 150 MILLION DOLLAR PROJECT WILL RUN THROUGH THE NAMADGI NATIONAL PARK WHICH CONTRAVENES THE POLICY OF THE ACT NATIONAL PARKS ASSOC
“A key element of Namadgi National Park is its unique natural landforms and panoramic scenery. NPA ACT strongly supports the protection? of these essential environmental elements from any incursions or disturbances, such as communication towers, power lines, pipelines or road works.”

This is actually an ACT national park not NSW.

Also I would like to say thanks to the person who sent an apology for an email they sent and I’d like to apologize to all those out there who feel I hate Canberra people. I do not, I consider myself a Canberra person having gone to school there. I was having a gut level reaction to what was happening but it is about the river and park- not about williamsdale road and I do think people in cities everywhere waste too much water. My facetious comment in the video about showers was my way of expressing my anger at water waste. Really this is a CANBERRA concern because it is in a Canberra national park so calling me a nimby is incorrect as it is more in YOUR backyard- being an historical large area held in trust by the capital. I really hope some of you can see beyond your personal dislike of what type of person you perceive me to be and just look at the real issue at hand.

Solidarity Solidarity 3:21 pm 14 Dec 11

I’m a Canberran and am all for whatever. National park, meh we have enough kangaroos and boringness as is.

Waiting For Godot Waiting For Godot 3:29 pm 14 Dec 11

ceam said :

Shouting won’t make us listen to your selfish and opportunistic views. Stop digging an even bigger hole for yourself.

amarooresident3 amarooresident3 4:00 pm 14 Dec 11

Dunno what you are complaining about – you’re getting free coffee

Christmas coffee service
ACTEW will be offering the free coffee service again for the month of December to thank the residents of Burra and Williamsdale for their patience during the construction of the Murrumbidgee to Googong Water Transfer. Free coffee, biscuits and newspapers will be available from the van parked near Burra Hall from 8:30am-10:30am on the following weekends:

Saturday and Sunday 3/4 December
Saturday and Sunday 10/11 December
Saturday and Sunday 17/18 December

Also an update on the works is here http://www.actew.com.au/Our%20Projects/Murrumbidgee%20to%20Googong%20Water%20Transfer/Construction%20Update.aspx

Looks like the horse has well and truly bolted.

fgzk fgzk 4:00 pm 14 Dec 11

That mully is in danger, what with the tax payers rallying against houso’s in the puss thread and the endless whining of road users in the speed limit thread. I think the use of cap locks is just a cynical ploy by you to get the numbers up.

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 4:01 pm 14 Dec 11

ceam said :

This is actually an ACT national park not NSW.

I’m still trying to figure out the real issue but I’ve gained more understanding about the pipeline from some of the other posts than from the video rant. Honestly, if someone is passionate about protecting the environment then they’ve half won me over already but you’ve done a great job of losing that advantage.

Gingera Gingera 4:04 pm 14 Dec 11

CEAM, you really are making yourself appear stupid and uninformed – the pipeline from Angle Xing to Googong goes nowhere near Namadgi National Park.

In general It help to have your facts certain before ranting in a public forum!

Duffbowl Duffbowl 4:29 pm 14 Dec 11

ceam said :

This is a NATIONAL PARK and as it says in the NATIONAL PARKS ASSOCIATION OF THE ACT
http://www.npaact.org.au/category.php?id=6 under Nature and Purpose:

” A key element of Namadgi National Park is its unique natural landforms and panoramic scenery. NPA ACT strongly supports the protection of these essential environmental elements from any incursions or disturbances, such as communication towers, power lines, pipelines or road works.”

PLEASE READ THE ABOVE BEFORE MAKING ANY FURTHER COMMENTS omg

ceam, do you understand that the NPAACT does not adminster, manage, or control in any way the National Parks within the borders of the ACT? It is a lobby, support and promotion group for the National Parks; however, management, etc., remains in the mandate of Territory and Municipal Services.

Please read the above before making any further comments. Oh your god 🙂

creative_canberran creative_canberran 4:42 pm 14 Dec 11

colourful sydney racing identity said :

Late comer to this thread due to my 4, 6 hour daily showers but wow, just wow….

oh dude tell me about it. I only just got a chance to read this thread again. I spilt my $5 latte on my alloy wheels, had to spend an hour or so rinsing it off to make sure it didn’t harm the finish. Had to rinse the drive way too, coffee on concrete is a bad combo, really spoils the pure white.

Region Group Pty Ltd