[ED – The contents of this piece should be taken as no more than rumour]
The ACT Greens continue to be in disarray this week following the shock departure last Friday of their most senior and competent staffer, Meredith Hunter’s Chief of Staff, Louise O’Donnell.
It is understood that Ms O’Donnell was forced to resign with 12 hours notice following a bitter confrontation in the Greens caucus last Thursday afternoon.
This effectively amounts to a coup d’etat by the office of Shane Rattenbury, and is rumoured to be a product of ongoing bitterness and envy regarding Meredith Hunter’s elevation to the leadership following the last election. It also reveals the deep cracks that had been emerging over the last 8 months with Meredith and Amanda Bresnan attempting to work constructively with the government to achieve actual outcomes, with Caroline and Shane on the other side angrily arguing for a more activist, potshot driven approach in response to the desires of the (substantial) lunatic fringe of the Greens that helped them get up.
It is well known that Shane Rattenbury and Caroline Le Couteur favoured forming government with the Liberals rather than Labor following their success in the last election, and in light of the Ratt-enforced information lockdown over the last seven days, this coup has raised some strong conspiracy theories.
– Will the Greens now tear up the Parliamentary Agreement with the Labor Government?
– Where does this leave Katy G and Stanhope in terms of being able to deliver this coming budget and their own pet projects?
– Is it true that Shane Rattenbury will be pressing forward with his obsessive desire for a ministry?
– Is it true that Meredith is leader in name only, and the Green rebellion has forced her not to fill Louise’s position?
– Will we actually see the Greens being willing to work with BOTH sides in the Assembly now?