Greens move on battery hens in Canberra

johnboy 24 April 2009 82

Mark today down as a red letter day, the Greens have put out a media release!

And it’s a good one too. Caroline Le Couteur has announced that if they get their way the battery farming of chickens in the ACT will come to an end, amongst other things.

Canberra’s single cage egg farm is Parkwood, which is owned by Australia’s biggest egg producer, Pace Farms. Parkwood is over 25 years old, with fully depreciated infrastructure, and employs fourteen people. It ships its eggs to NSW for packaging and distribution. However, Pace Farms also produces free range and barn laid eggs in other parts of the country.

Ms Le Couteur’s draft legislation would also require retailers to display cage eggs separately from other eggs, along with signs that describe the egg production method.

“Providing this information at the point of sale is an important additional step, especially since the ACT can’t ban imported cage eggs, and because egg carton labels are often confusing or misleading”, Ms Le Couteur said. “In a recent survey, 85% of ACT residents said they thought battery cage systems were cruel.”

You can find the proposed legislation online.

82 Responses to Greens move on battery hens in Canberra
Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 4:50 pm 24 Apr 09

Jivrashia said :

Apologies. Link: “Only 2 Free Range Layer farms are accredited…”. Section “Free Range Eggs”, bottom of paragraph.

My thanks for the clarification.

However, the fact that the RSPCA has not “accredited” a free range producer, doesn’t in anyway mean that the free range eggs bought are less than of a standard.

ant ant 4:47 pm 24 Apr 09

turtle said :

ant said :

On the topic of eggs, does anyone know if any chookeries use 2nd hand egg-boxes? I’ve got a growing tower of egg boxes, as does the family.

Egg sellers at farmers’ market often take them from you – and they give you a discount on the eggs you buy if you trade them an empty carton. I’ve done this at Phillip CIT Farmers’ market before.

Egg-cellent. I’ve got about 30 boxes! I’ll never have to pay for eggs again.

No I am not going to the offal thread. I’m going to look for beer.

ant ant 4:46 pm 24 Apr 09

Jivrashia said :

Nothing personal. Just the effect of alcohol, or lack of…. I’ll be right after Beer O’clock.

Where’s mine? I’m offended by the complete lack of beer here.

motleychick motleychick 4:41 pm 24 Apr 09

I’ve been counting down for beer o’clock since about 8 this morning when I got into work!! Bring on the long weekend. Sorry i just went completely off topic.

Granny Granny 4:31 pm 24 Apr 09

Jivrashia said :

Granny said :

Hey, it’s Friday!!

turtle turtle 4:28 pm 24 Apr 09

ant said :

deezagood deezagood 4:26 pm 24 Apr 09

turtle said :

deezagood said :

So whilst I strongly support this ACT Green’s initiative, I would hope that they also push for more accurate labling regarding the non-cage-produced eggs too (so that people like me, who think they are doing the right thing, don’t continue to be duped by false advertising).

I think they’re on to this problem. I see they put this bit in the bill (I found this in the discussion paper at: http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/ed/db_34441/default.asp)

“This section requires the Minister to take all reasonable steps to promote a permanent
ban by States and Territories on the keeping of poultry in cage systems, and to take all
reasonable steps include promoting …. revised definitions of key terms in the model code such as ‘cage systems’, ‘barn systems’ and ‘free range systems’ to improve the welfare of poultry”

‘model code’ refers to the ‘model code for the welfare of poultry’ which is where ‘barn’, ‘cage’, ‘free range’ etc is defined.

Very helpful advice – thanks so much.

deezagood deezagood 4:25 pm 24 Apr 09

Jivrashia said :

Won’t we all!

Jivrashia Jivrashia 4:23 pm 24 Apr 09

Granny said :

deezagood said :

I didn’t even notice he/she changed our names Granny – wonder what on earth that is all about?

I suspect you both said something quite wicked and mortally offensive …. Let me know if you find out what it was!

*lol*

turtle turtle 4:18 pm 24 Apr 09

deezagood said :

Granny Granny 4:13 pm 24 Apr 09

deezagood said :

*lol*

ant ant 4:09 pm 24 Apr 09

I guess I’d want to know if the chooks are that squished in their shed. Because I suspect that those open sheds are the “barns” that barn-raised chooks are in. I imagine (and hope I’m right!) that the chooks have room to walk in these sheds. They’re not wedged up against each other. We need a chook farmer to come and explain it to us.

deezagood deezagood 4:01 pm 24 Apr 09

Granny said :

You can’t make your point without resorting to juvenile name-calling?

threepaws threepaws 3:57 pm 24 Apr 09

Another term that is used is ‘cage-free’

Granny Granny 3:57 pm 24 Apr 09

You can’t make your point without resorting to juvenile name-calling?

deezagood deezagood 3:56 pm 24 Apr 09

ant said :

I am happy to buy eggs that are produced by contented chooks. I don’t care about organic etc so much, and think they really should be concentrating on the big issue first: are the hens kept in cruel little cages, or not?

Chooks kept in a big barn where they can scratch around are OK, I think. The RSPCA actually seems to prefer the barn-raised chooks to free range ones that are outside.

I have no preference, just so long as the chooks can walk, have dust, can make nests if they want to, and aren’t crammed into tiny cages on top of one another.

As for where to buy cruelty-free eggs, just about every place I get eggs from has these. Aldi, Coles, Woolies, the butcher shop, the fruit shop, even the grog shop! Lots of local egg growers have shops they sell their stuff through. Coles have many brands of barn and free range, the box I currently have comes from some mob in Queensland.

That’s just the thing Ant; reading about Pace Farms (who supply Aldi et al) on the Choice site suggests that these chooks may not be contented at all. Certainly they wouldn’t have room to make nests or even walk/stretch if they are stuffed into a barn with 1000 other chooks and can’t even find the exit if they want to. Maybe better than cages, but not exactly my idea of ‘free-range’.

Jivrashia Jivrashia 3:55 pm 24 Apr 09

deezabad wrote:

deezagood said :

I don’t think they should be permited to use the term ‘free-range’ at all if the chooks are trapped in a massive barn and never see the light of day. How is this even legal????

Unfortunately the world “free-range” isn’t regulated… Something for the Greens to champion.

anteater wrote:

ant said :

cruelty-free eggs

That’s it! Let’s start calling them that ’cause they aren’t really “free-range”.

Granny Granny 3:54 pm 24 Apr 09

Great!

: )

deezagood deezagood 3:53 pm 24 Apr 09

I’m onto it Granny (and I agree with your sentiments regarding the greens).

ant ant 3:47 pm 24 Apr 09