Has anyone seen Olivia?

johnboy 16 November 2010 135

[First filed: Nov 15, 2010 @ 13:02]

Steve Tucker [Steve Tucker and friend courtesy of Facebook.]

We’re given to understand the below email was sent to the entire staff of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

We can only hope Steve finds his girl.

UPDATE:

SAVE STEVE!

Word reaches us that Steve has been sacked! If you’d like DIAC to reconsider this harsh decision the best contact I can find is here.

Should DIAC have mercy on Steve?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Further Update: We’re still waiting for a response to our media enquiry to DIAC. But we can show you Steve’s Facebook profile in which he seems cooler than many of you might have thought.

(If either Steve or Olivia would like to talk on-record about their experience please email john@the-riotact.com )

Another Update: A spokesperson for DIAC has been in touch to assure us that no one is going to sack Steve. Also, if you’re so inclined, Facebook now has a Steve Tucker Appreciation Society.

OMG UPDATE: The poll has hit new records for us (and bear in mind our spam excluders stop huge numbers of people from voting) and the terrifying women of maternal.com.au are treating this as the essential reference.

Also the SMH’s Ben Grubb is quoting you buggers.

This whole story is now second for this site to Mount Monaghan, which frankly makes me very sad.

The Email:

Good Morning Everyone,

There is a person that works here at DIAC, who has a housemate by the name of “Olivia”.

This message is for you.

Olivia is tall and olive skinned. She moved to Canberra from Sydney last February to work in the Public Service.

Briefly, I met Olivia on the Saturday night just passed. She left a strong and positive impression on me. Unfortunately, people got in the way after we met and I didn’t get to finish our meeting how I wanted to. This has been bugging me ever since.

If you can kindly let Olivia know that I would like to get in contact with her or alternatively get in touch with myself, I will be very appreciative.

Disclaimer: I understand this is not the most appropriate channel. It is not my intent to misuse this email address.

I have struggled to write and send this message. It has taken all of my willpower to do so.

Life is too short for regret. This phrase I know you all can identify with.

Have an awesome Monday.

Steve Tucker
Level 1, Magenta Building
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ph: +61 (02) 6225 6323
Email: steve.tucker@immi.gov.au

135 Responses to Has anyone seen Olivia?
OzChick OzChick 9:45 am 16 Nov 10

Ninemsn are reporting that “Olivia” does not even remember Steve Tucker.

astrojax astrojax 9:40 am 16 Nov 10

we all seem to think mr tucker is after something amorous with this phantom olivia – all he said was he was having a nice chat (meeting), someone interupted and he’s like to continue. what was on the agenda fgor this meeting? perhaps they were discussing camus’s view of existentialism as it relates to the current french national football team?

ah, the riot is so quick to assume…

🙂

Lazy I Lazy I 9:31 am 16 Nov 10

news.com.au are running this as their main story (currently)

Links back to here as well, and uses the same image from Facebook.

Also, nick work Ori.

Rollersk8r Rollersk8r 9:05 am 16 Nov 10

Fairfax have got the wrong guy’s photo – this is not the Steve I know.

Rollersk8r Rollersk8r 8:57 am 16 Nov 10

SMH’s picture is not the same guy!

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 8:56 am 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Fair enough, Holden. It wasn’t so much about access to the picture but how it was used.
“Olivia” is not interested, doesn’t actually remember him, and feels very intimidated and uncomfortable by all the attention.

I feel quite sorry for Olivia. This is a crummy thing to happen to her. Personally, I hope her identity remains non-public.

PBO PBO 8:40 am 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Knowing the girl in the picture personally, I can say:

1. Her name isn’t Olivia. Most definitely not.

2. She was with her very long-time partner at the party that is picture. The picture was taken a long, long time ago.

3. And yes, this is stalker, obsessive behaviour, which is being pursued pending some final legal advice.

Pull your head in woman and learn to read. This is not about the lady in the picture.

Deref Deref 7:27 am 16 Nov 10

Slooooooooowwwww news day!

Ori Ori 7:03 am 16 Nov 10

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:59 pm 15 Nov 10

Ori said :

Knowing the girl in the picture personally, I can say:

1. Her name isn’t Olivia. Most definitely not.

Nobody ever suggested the girl from the Facebook image was supposed to be Olivia. Nobody ever suggested she was supposed to be a in a relationship with Mr Tucker.

Haha, “obsessive behaviour”. Really? Either the pic was sent in to JB or he may have spent a grand total of 2 minutes checking Facebook.

Don’t want people to have easy access of random pictures of yourself? Then don’t put them on the internet.

I suggest having a cup of cement while you digest that, too.

screaming banshee screaming banshee 11:32 pm 15 Nov 10

So, can anyone confirm the existence of a restraining order?

New Yeah New Yeah 11:09 pm 15 Nov 10

All staff emails are normally fairly drab affairs, I’m sure his colleagues welcome the distraction. At least he wasn’t trying to flog tickets in a footy club raffle.

st st 10:27 pm 15 Nov 10

It’s now on abc news: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/15/3066956.htm must be a slow news day

pols182 pols182 10:10 pm 15 Nov 10

Glad he hasnt been given the sack.
See if he can achieve cult status by pulling off a “great moment in hookup history”

Grail Grail 10:05 pm 15 Nov 10

I’m with CraigT on this one. The people need the stern talking to are the ones to left the “all staff distribution” email address usable by all staff instead of just the PHBs.

I also agree with the opinion that if Olivia actually wanted to catch up with him again, she’d have done so regardless of an all-points-bulletin.

Ori Ori 9:59 pm 15 Nov 10

Knowing the girl in the picture personally, I can say:

1. Her name isn’t Olivia. Most definitely not.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 9:55 pm 15 Nov 10

What a silly tucker he is!

Inappropriate Inappropriate 9:24 pm 15 Nov 10

He made the Nine news http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8141022/lustful-bureaucrat-in-strife-over-party-girl-email

They say they’ve contacted DIAC: he hasn’t been sacked, just disciplined.

Chop71 Chop71 9:09 pm 15 Nov 10

….the internet can be so cruel.

Last week it was “A raider and a dog” he lost his job and will leave the country.

So Steve, assuming you don’t have any interesting pics you would like to add, you’re still doing better than the other guy.

RuffnReady RuffnReady 8:56 pm 15 Nov 10

missmaldita said :

I feel so sorry for Steve – 1. He’s idiot; 2. He’s a hopeless romantic and 3. He will be ridiculed the world over.
It will be the start of something beautiful, maybe not with Olivia, who I’m sure is now in hiding, but with the 666 ABC talkback, then Today Tonight and maybe Oprah might give him tickets to her Sydney show.

I agree that Steve sounds like a hopeless romantic, and he’s certainly a bit naive about the way the world works. As for his negligence as a Public Servant, dismissal seems overly harsh unless there are other factors involved, although I guess DIAC is rightfully leery of someone with such poor judgement. Note to all who haven’t worked it out yet: the email system is NOT your personal dating site!

However, I reckon Steve might find himself more than a few dates soon enough. In a culture of celebrity worship everyone who becomes famous (no matter how puerile the reason) seems to be attractive to someone out there. A date with Olivia is unlikely from this position though (unless she too is a lonely hopeless romantic).

Region Group Pty Ltd