Has anyone seen Olivia?

johnboy 16 November 2010 135

[First filed: Nov 15, 2010 @ 13:02]

Steve Tucker [Steve Tucker and friend courtesy of Facebook.]

We’re given to understand the below email was sent to the entire staff of the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

We can only hope Steve finds his girl.

UPDATE:

SAVE STEVE!

Word reaches us that Steve has been sacked! If you’d like DIAC to reconsider this harsh decision the best contact I can find is here.

Should DIAC have mercy on Steve?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Further Update: We’re still waiting for a response to our media enquiry to DIAC. But we can show you Steve’s Facebook profile in which he seems cooler than many of you might have thought.

(If either Steve or Olivia would like to talk on-record about their experience please email john@the-riotact.com )

Another Update: A spokesperson for DIAC has been in touch to assure us that no one is going to sack Steve. Also, if you’re so inclined, Facebook now has a Steve Tucker Appreciation Society.

OMG UPDATE: The poll has hit new records for us (and bear in mind our spam excluders stop huge numbers of people from voting) and the terrifying women of maternal.com.au are treating this as the essential reference.

Also the SMH’s Ben Grubb is quoting you buggers.

This whole story is now second for this site to Mount Monaghan, which frankly makes me very sad.

The Email:

Good Morning Everyone,

There is a person that works here at DIAC, who has a housemate by the name of “Olivia”.

This message is for you.

Olivia is tall and olive skinned. She moved to Canberra from Sydney last February to work in the Public Service.

Briefly, I met Olivia on the Saturday night just passed. She left a strong and positive impression on me. Unfortunately, people got in the way after we met and I didn’t get to finish our meeting how I wanted to. This has been bugging me ever since.

If you can kindly let Olivia know that I would like to get in contact with her or alternatively get in touch with myself, I will be very appreciative.

Disclaimer: I understand this is not the most appropriate channel. It is not my intent to misuse this email address.

I have struggled to write and send this message. It has taken all of my willpower to do so.

Life is too short for regret. This phrase I know you all can identify with.

Have an awesome Monday.

Steve Tucker
Level 1, Magenta Building
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Ph: +61 (02) 6225 6323
Email: steve.tucker@immi.gov.au

135 Responses to Has anyone seen Olivia?
Holditz Holditz 3:25 pm 16 Nov 10

beep said :

Very nice work Postalgeek.

Pity Genie beat the Postalgeek by 40 minutes or so.

beep beep 3:17 pm 16 Nov 10

Postalgeek said :

In a galaxy far far away

Very nice work Postalgeek.

Poor Steve has tough competition for the Mully this month. He should have waited until December.

Davo111 Davo111 2:27 pm 16 Nov 10

no sympathy from me.

Postalgeek Postalgeek 1:25 pm 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Knowing the girl in the picture personally, I can say:… She was with her very long-time partner at the party that is picture. The picture was taken a long, long time ago.

In a galaxy far far away

joejoe15 joejoe15 1:16 pm 16 Nov 10

jessieduck said :

I know Steve- Olivia could do a lot worse.

And you know Olivia?

joejoe15 joejoe15 1:13 pm 16 Nov 10

What a massive douche.

How does 1+1=5? (They obviously didn’t hit it off when he spoke to her)

Must have an inflated sense of self, or he is a massive stalker type… I feel sorry for this Olivia woman!

olivia olivia 12:53 pm 16 Nov 10

Hi Steve, it’s Olivia here. Sorry I don’t remember you.

Your only hope is if I gave you one of my tickets. I gave out over two hundred on Saturday night so don’t feel too special. have a look in your shirt pocket, that’s where I slip them in if I allow you to get close enough.

No ticket? Sorry, have a good life anyway!

Genie Genie 12:45 pm 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Knowing the girl in the picture personally, I can say:

2. She was with her very long-time partner at the party that is picture. The picture was taken a long, long time ago.

In a galaxy far far away ?

jessieduck jessieduck 12:11 pm 16 Nov 10

I know Steve- Olivia could do a lot worse.

I’m so glad he hasn’t lost his job. Sending an all-staff email is completely misguided but certainly brought the lols.

Bosworth Bosworth 12:04 pm 16 Nov 10

wtf is this crap

astrojax astrojax 11:35 am 16 Nov 10

qwerky said :

But cut the guy some slack about his inappropriate use of ‘myself’. Since the wonderful Dr George Stern passed on, the standard of the Plain English writing courses that many public servants have attended has detoriated.

no! this sick tucker needs to be made a lesson to us all – poor grammar gets you nowhere, children. listen up.

rosebud rosebud 11:24 am 16 Nov 10

I just checked online and it is there too on the Age online: http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/search-for-olivia-becomes-a-public-service-20101115-17ufd.html – which also mentions Riotact as their source. Their poll however, has had over 13,000 votes! Yikes.

johnboy johnboy 11:33 am 16 Nov 10

I’m yikesing our poll! With our spam controls they’re normally limited a fair way lower.

rosebud rosebud 11:02 am 16 Nov 10

A friend told me it made the front page of The Age today!

qwerky qwerky 10:49 am 16 Nov 10

If I were the girl in the picture I’d be really annoyed about having my picture splashed all over the internet. The guy was too stupid to crop her out, and even the picture of him with his hair in his eyes and a gormless expression doesn’t create a good impression, to Olivia or anyone else.

bahbah bahbah 10:40 am 16 Nov 10

#26jimmyjames wrote:

‘steve is that you??’

No, I don’t work at DIAC. LOL.

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 10:33 am 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Fair enough, Holden. It wasn’t so much about access to the picture but how it was used.
“Olivia” is not interested, doesn’t actually remember him, and feels very intimidated and uncomfortable by all the attention.

Yeah, I can understand that.

This “fame” or attention will pass pretty quickly, though. In a day or two it will be pretty much forgotten I expect.

el el 10:05 am 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Let us know how you get on with the lawsuit against Facebook/teh whole internets!1!!! after receiving your ‘final legal advice’.

Ori said :

Perhaps read the original article again. R-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y if need be. Nobody (except for you) has suggested that the lass in the picture (taken from Steve’s facebook profile) is Olivia, the subject of Steve’s misguided all-staffer (who is “tall and olive skinned”).

Erg0 Erg0 9:49 am 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

You must be quite socially connected to know both Olivia and the person in the old Facebook picture. Been following Steve around?

el el 9:48 am 16 Nov 10

Sunrise just aired the same (incorrect) photo, I bet the poor bloke (whoever he is) has been getting a few phone calls this morning…

Jim Jones Jim Jones 9:48 am 16 Nov 10

Ori said :

Um … how do you know? You know the girl in the picture, but that’s not Olivia (and Olivia is her real name, it’s not a pseudonym as you seem to believe).

Region Group Pty Ltd