Has the economic slowdown finally hit Canberra – or is it just me?

Lady_from_Holt 23 February 2009 30

Has the economic slowdown (I noticed they’re not calling it a crisis anymore) finally hit Canberra – or is it just me?

My house was broken into last week. This wasnt totally unexpected as I dont live in the best area of town, but what was taken was very intersting. A piggie bank, a ring, a pair of shoes and some frozen dinners.

Then on Friday, I lost my job due to “cut backs”. This was unexpected as I’m a very comfortable pube.

Now, I realise how much I need the piggie bank and frozen dinners, so I asked myslef, was the guy who broke into my home just some poor shmuck who has also hit the bottom end of the line?

And is Canberra really starting to feel the tightening of the rope due to the the ecomonic situation?

30 Responses to Has the economic slowdown finally hit Canberra – or is it just me?
realityskin realityskin 12:05 pm 24 Feb 09

DEEWR = Worst place on earth

candelabra candelabra 12:01 pm 24 Feb 09

@Lady_from_Holt They really took a pair of shoes?
Sorry to hear you were broken in to. Hope things look up job wise.

dexi dexi 9:08 am 24 Feb 09

“more like they are high on ice.”

That would be why they went for the frozen dinners in the freezer.

SheepGroper SheepGroper 7:16 am 24 Feb 09

DEEWR are starting a year long recruitment drive to replace the contractors they’re going to shed.

toriness toriness 7:07 am 24 Feb 09

i think this topic is a bit of a beat up until we see some actual real stats on a real increase in crime. my partner and i were broken into 3 times in the ‘good times’ with some completely bizarre items being nicked like toasty machine or chocolate. i don’t know that there is much rhyme or reason to junkies breaking into your house, lady from holt? i don’t think it means they are genuinely desperate due to the GFC – more like they are high on ice.

Piratemonkey Piratemonkey 1:33 am 24 Feb 09

I personally know two people with houses broken into in the last week or so and another with a car stolen a few days ago. Im starting to get a tad worried. I agree with steveu tho. Your view on the situation is impressive. Steal from me and you better hope i don’t catch you.

realityskin realityskin 10:33 pm 23 Feb 09

Just wait til Krudd slashes the APS budget by 20% come June.

smokey4 smokey4 7:17 pm 23 Feb 09

Time to avoid the overpriced frozen dinners and prepare your own from scratch. Suggest a visit to Fyshwick market and get the fresh stuff. You now have the time.

sepi sepi 4:14 pm 23 Feb 09

You can go back into the APS as a contractor. You can join ACT PS straight away as a permanent, as it is not part of APS.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 4:09 pm 23 Feb 09

ACT govt is still hiring like mad. I’d get in there quickly, before there are too many former APS staff queueing up to join.

I think generally APS staff who have been made redundant must wait 12 months before reapplying for jobs back in the APS. I could be wrong though.

steveu steveu 4:04 pm 23 Feb 09

Sorry to hear this, and I am impressed at your balanced approach to being the recipient of a burgularly. Good on you. You have more understanding than me, so this is a credit to you!
Im sure you will find another job soon, best of luck.
Cheers

jakez jakez 3:43 pm 23 Feb 09

sepi said :

And if I were a school leaver, I’d think seriously about working for a year before studying. It isn’t much fun graduating with no work experience, right into a recession/hiring freeze.

You said it buddy.

sepi sepi 3:21 pm 23 Feb 09

I know of two people who have lost their permanent PS jobs recently. It is happening, but it seems to be quiet taps on the shoulder these days, rather than large multi-sackings at once.

Lady_from_Holt Lady_from_Holt 3:17 pm 23 Feb 09

trevar said :

Forgive my ignorance, but I have never heard of a pube! Is that a nickname for a public servant?

yep – at least it is here…

Lady_from_Holt Lady_from_Holt 3:16 pm 23 Feb 09

Ahhh! I didn’t even realise I’d hit the submit button! Please ignore the spelling mistakes!

I was permanent… so there are options, but since we’ve put a freeze on recruitment (as with a lot of other agencies) there are slim pickings with redeployment

trevar trevar 3:11 pm 23 Feb 09

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 3:06 pm 23 Feb 09

Were you a permanent pube or on a contract Lady from Holt?

jakez jakez 3:02 pm 23 Feb 09

The printing business is very slow at the moment.

Hmm, hordes of ravaging sacked public servants…maybe I should rethink my policy on the size of the bureaucracy.

p1 p1 3:00 pm 23 Feb 09

if you can keep your job.

Exactly. If I keep my job, the next few years could be great for me, if not, I’m F#@Ked.

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 2:54 pm 23 Feb 09

I noticed they’re not calling it a crisis anymore

That’s because it has its own acronym now – GFC.

First I’ve heard of a govt employeee getting laid off. My sympathies.

I read some op-ed over the weekend extolling that recessions can be great times to get ahead (low rates etc) – if you can keep your job.

Region Group Pty Ltd