Riot-Act hive mind I am seeking your advice on how to evict a room mate/boarder, short of illegally changing the locks on them.
My partner owns the house we live in, and currently we rent out the other 2 bedrooms to our freeloader tenants. I’ll call them B1 & B2. Our main issue is with B1.
One of the boarders (B1) has been living there for about 18months or so, and they currently owe several months rent & bills. We are over the excuses as to why B1 WONT pay rent (boy there are some good ones) and have asked them to pay up what is owed and leave. It has also gotten to the point that the second boarder, B2 (who moved in earlier this year) is insisting they shouldn’t have to pay their rent, because B1 doesn’t pay anything.
To give you an idea this is what it is like to live with B1 at the moment:
– B1 loves to complain… about EVERYTHING !
– About the only cleaning B1 does, is mowing the dirt every other month. This includes the lack of cleaning up after themselves.
– They will quite happily pile their dirty dishes up on the sink all week and then complain there is no clean dishes. (we have a dishwasher.. it’s not that hard to pack and unpack it, but we are over cleaning up after them)
– B1 doesn’t like to buy “shared groceries” such as milk or dunny paper. Complains constantly when we run out instead of buying it themself.
– B1 carries on like it’s WW3 should you eat/drink anything THEY pay for. But will quite happily help themselves to any other food in the house and comes running like a starving animal if they know we have bought home bread or milk.
– Complained and acted like a 3 year old when we disconnected the internet and put a lock on the Foxtel.
– B1 will be in shorts and a t-shirt and complain it’s cold, duh it’s almost winter. Instead of putting warmer clothes on, B1 will just turn the heater on.
– heaven forbid you make noise late Sunday arvo because B1 is trying to sleep
– I could go on……..
While it’s kind of funny to put up with B1, we can no longer afford to support 2 room mates who don’t pay their way or help with household chores and would like both of them to move out ASAP.
As there is no written agreement (all done over a gentleman’s handshake) the best advice ACAT can give us is to provide them with a ‘Notice to Remedy” to pay back rent and if they fail to comply we can then issue a “Termination Notice” to evict them. This potentially allows them to stay in the property for another 2 months without paying a cent before we can legally evict them and change the locks.
So I’m turning it over to you… suggestions to speed up the process and be room mate free ASAP ? Or to try and get our money ?
- Food & Wine