How do I dispose of fireworks.

krats 16 May 2010 22

While cleaning out my shed,Thursday .I come across some fireworks.I have them for years,but had forgotten about them.These day’s they are illegal,Not knowing what to do with them (letting them off was an option) I decided to phone Tuggeranong police for advice.

The officer said “put them in a plastic bag and bring them down”, to which I said “are you sure?”

He replied I will check…”NO” was the response. “They are dangerous and illegal phone work cover they will collect them.”

My next call was work cover. After telling them the story. The bloke told me I had to talk to Dangerous Good’s. After waiting what seemed an hour(probably only 10 minutes) he came back and said there was no one available. He could take my details and have someone contact me.

Well as I type it’s Saturday. Does any one know what to do with the firework’s??? (GREEN or RECYCLE bin?)

22 Responses to How do I dispose of fireworks.
Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 6:09 pm 17 May 10

I-filed said

“I wouldn’t elaborate if I were you Pork Hunt – or you’ll find yourself in all seriousness on a police watch list. One of the best indicators of future criminal behaviour is fantasising about or carrying out animal cruelty.”

Police watch list – what police watch list?
Does this mean I should remove the “Drive it like ya stole it” sticker from my mobility scooter lest I get spotted by the plod on my way to bingo…

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 10:57 am 17 May 10

buy yourself a box of matches. It is not really that hard.

nexus6 nexus6 9:22 am 17 May 10

Just put them in your car and park it somewhere the police will find very quickly, an obvious spot in the middle of town is good. its also a great time to get rid of any unwanted gas cylinders and unused fertilizer. best do it just before you leave to go overseas

Davo111 Davo111 9:20 am 17 May 10

lol i hope this is a troll. Just hold onto them until you have kids and/or give them to 99% of the population who wants them.

Captain RAAF Captain RAAF 8:59 am 17 May 10

Lame, very lame! Just fire the stuff off for christ sake!

If you are adamant that you want it disposed of legally, just ring the police and tell them you think you found one of grand dads WW2 souvenirs in the shed and the bomb squad will be falling over themselves to come collect it, may even make the Canberra times! 😉

But soaking in water will be just as effective albeit not very exciting.

Firing off during the million paws walk was a great idea and to all those owners of dogs, cats, cockatiels and cavies that suffer total bowel failure when they hear a bang, how about a can of harden up?

hellspice hellspice 8:50 am 17 May 10

yeah let them off secretly and run

Postalgeek Postalgeek 8:48 am 17 May 10

A bonfire will sort out the live from the duds for you.

threepaws threepaws 9:49 pm 16 May 10

I-filed said :

Pork Hunt said :

An irresponsible citizen could have had some fun with them at The Million Paws Walk today…

While I personally believe that fireworks border on animal cruelty (having a couple of dogs who are terrified of them) I don’t think that Pork Hunt was suggesting that the fireworks be used in a manner contrary to what they were designed for, rather just letting them off in the vicinity of a few thousand dogs. Did I read it wrong?

It would have been most amusing, with the PM’s entourage at the walk – I wonder how long it would have been between the ‘bangs’ and the arrest?

H1NG0 H1NG0 6:28 pm 16 May 10

WHAT!!?? This has got to be a joke. You wasted your time trying to decide how to dispose of fireworks? Even the police think you are an idiot. You could have totally destroyed a mailbox by now. Wake up to yourself.

Vic Vic 5:25 pm 16 May 10

If you have a bulk lot, the army bomb disposals will possibly take them off your hands.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 5:21 pm 16 May 10

In all seriousness, if workcover don’t contact you, put them in a plastic bad with no holes, tip in about half a litre of water, tie up the bag, put it in the garbage for collection.

Although it’s not the nicest stuff in the world, some sloppy cardboard and wetted old powder will be pretty harmless.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 5:17 pm 16 May 10

Just build a small fire somewhere, throw them on and walk away.

I-filed I-filed 5:16 pm 16 May 10

Pork Hunt said :

dannybear dannybear 5:11 pm 16 May 10

soak them in a bucket of water for a few weeks till they go soggy and then mush them up while still under water then just throw them out

p1 p1 5:07 pm 16 May 10

Post them to workcover?

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 4:09 pm 16 May 10

hetzjagd1 said :

I’ll take them off your hands

Nah don’t give em to him. He’ll just go use them. I’ll dispose of them safely for you 😉

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 2:50 pm 16 May 10

hetzjagd1 hetzjagd1 1:03 pm 16 May 10

I’ll take them off your hands

necrocelia necrocelia 12:14 pm 16 May 10

oh my god. set them off. are you kidding me? you paid good money for them. what kind of law abiding citizen are you? you suck. i can’t believe you’d go to the trouble of getting rid of them when its about 5000 times easier to just set them off. how about give them to me and i’ll do it for you, pussy.

mr reason mr reason 11:52 am 16 May 10

Also ask them about all those dangerous superfluous apostrophes 😉