Lifestyle

Part of the Canberra community
for over 30 years

How do you feel about shark fin soup?

By johnboy - 16 February 2012 79

shark

A friend sent me a link to the Canberra Restaurants named as selling shark fin soup with this note:

Hokay, I don’t normally post these sorts of things, but shark fin soup is whack and this website provides a list of restaurants in Canberra (and all of Australia) that actually sell it. Sharks are amazing animals, critical to aquatic ecosystem functioning and, as a SCUBA diver, I need all the good shark karma I can get. Rather than just not eating at these restaurants, I recommend if you’re in the neighborhood, stop by and tell them WHY you’re not eating there!

The restaurants are: Happys Chinese Restaurant (Civic), King Fook Restaurant (Florey), Noble Palace Chinese Restaurant (Phillip), Prince Palace Chinese Restaurant (Emu Bank), Ruby Chinese Restaurant (Dickson).

While I’m not a fan of killing sharks just for their fins I’m not convinced eating fins is ethically that different to eating any other part of a fish. What do you think?

[Photo by StormyDog CC BY 2.0]

What’s Your opinion?

79 Responses to
How do you feel about shark fin soup?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Mysteryman 4:11 pm 16 Feb 12

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

qbngeek said :

Mysteryman said :

I agree. But honestly, this issue doesn’t rank too highly on my list of concerns.

And that is the issue. Too many people think exactly like you and nothing ever changes. It takes about 5 minutes to write a letter and send it to all your local members of the assembly and federal parliament. Are you really that busy?

Its the same a people who go ‘I don’t care where the food comes from as long as I can get it at Colesworths’ Spend a cuple of hours each weekend going to the farmers markets, find sources of local products and decrese your footprint on the world. When you have seen how much better the food is, you will see why it is right.

I didn’t say I was too busy. I said it doesn’t rank highly on my list of concerns. Essentially, I don’t care enough about the issue to spend my time on it. Whether you like it or not, that’s the way it is.

Don’t think that just because you want to support something, the rest of us should have to also. You are more than welcome to be anti-shark fin soup, anti-whaling, anti supermarket food, anti-whatever you want. I would encourage it, even. There are many causes worth supporting and it’s your right as an Australian so make every legal effort to change the things you don’t like. We need people to care about things like this. But don’t expect that everyone should jump on board with you. Your crusade is not everyone’s. Some of us find our efforts focussed on other things. Some people probably don’t even agree with you. They probably don’t care where their food comes from. That’s ok too. They have a right not to care. It doesn’t make their opinions any less important than yours, and it doesn’t make your cause any less meaningful or worthwhile.

You certainly spend a lot of time commenting on stuff you purportedly couldn’t care less about.

I care about being understood. You should care more about reading comprehension.

SnapperJack said :

More crap from animal activists trying to force wimpy vegetarianism and veganism onto us.

Sharks are a predator and dangerous to humans so the more that are killed the better. The same applies to crocodiles.

Every time animal activists open their mouths they should be either ignored or viciously slapped down.

obvious troll is obvious.

poetix 4:02 pm 16 Feb 12

Gungahlin Al said :

… not even starting to breed until about 25.

So you don’t see many of them in Gungahlin then?

SnapperJack 4:00 pm 16 Feb 12

Jim Jones 3:55 pm 16 Feb 12

Mysteryman said :

qbngeek said :

Mysteryman said :

Thumper 3:47 pm 16 Feb 12

Gungahlin Al said :

A truly horrible practice that also screws up the natural order.
Agree that you can’t pick sustainable from cruel so the only solution is to boycott it altogether.

On a related issue, is anyone else bothered to see the fish shop in the Canberra Centre selling Orange Roughies? This is a massively overfished resource with individuals living to 150 years and not even starting to breed until about 25.

Yeah, Flannery wrote about the Orange Roughie in his book the Future Eaters.

Good example of how we are tampering with nature and really have no idea what will happen.

Mysteryman 3:41 pm 16 Feb 12

qbngeek said :

Mysteryman said :

Gungahlin Al 3:36 pm 16 Feb 12

A truly horrible practice that also screws up the natural order.

Disinformation 3:34 pm 16 Feb 12

Thumper said :

I have a duck that attacks people.

Seriously.

When this duck savages a small child or pensioner, this post will be evidence that you knew that your duck was a menace and did nothing about it.

Thumper 2:38 pm 16 Feb 12

neanderthalsis said :

poetix said :

As I endlessly post here, I’m a vegetarian, but I’d rather eat foie gras than this stuff. At least the Frenchies aren’t totally depleting the oceans of their top predators, and throwing the whole ecosystem out of whack.

I’ve know a few geese that fit into the top predator category, including one that made a very large mastiff/ridge-back cross pigging dog make a very hasty retreat.

I have a duck that attacks people.

Seriously.

dtc 2:37 pm 16 Feb 12

Sleaz274 said :

You are an idiot.

And you need to learn that sometimes statements are not intended to be taken seriously. You think I dont realise there is a slight difference between the number of sharks in Sydney harbour and, well, what is happening in the entire rest of the world?

jsm2090 2:15 pm 16 Feb 12

HenryBG said :

Cool, thanks for that, I intend to get me some Shark Fin Soup ASAP.

I really miss shark fin dumplings which are no longer served at Yum Cha as they were my favourite.

Not so long ago, they managed to make Tuna dolphin-friendly, so hopfully rather than this authoritarian approach by little people trying to feel big of banning stuff, the people who care about sharks so much can figure out a way to ensure the whole shark is used instead of just the fins?

They still serve shark fin dumplings! They take their name from their appearance; The inside is usually pork or prawn mince. Tuna production is a whole different kettle of fish, with it’s own serious problems…….

Oh and +1 to what qbngeek said. The produce from the farmers markets is cheaper, tastes better, lasts longer, and has travelled fewer kms. Well worth the inconvenience of going out there IMHO.

MERC600 1:49 pm 16 Feb 12

sm2090 said :

” Agree. The only way to curb the demand is to ban the dish.”

Hell I eat a lot of those chicken ‘buffalo wing’ things. So they hack off the wings then let the thing go free ?.

qbngeek 1:45 pm 16 Feb 12

Mysteryman said :

neanderthalsis 1:35 pm 16 Feb 12

poetix said :

HenryBG 1:34 pm 16 Feb 12

jsm2090 said :

Agree. The only way to curb the demand is to ban the dish.

You curb your own demand, and I’ll take care of mine. Busybody.

HenryBG 1:33 pm 16 Feb 12

Cool, thanks for that, I intend to get me some Shark Fin Soup ASAP.

EvanJames 1:25 pm 16 Feb 12

jsm2090 said :

And the Aboriginals without their turtles roasted alive in their shells.

Gobbo 1:10 pm 16 Feb 12

Australians eat lots of shark. That is what the flake from the fish and chip shop is.

As long as we are eating the rest, then the fin should also be utilised. However, no slaughter for the fin alone should be undertaken.

jsm2090 12:38 pm 16 Feb 12

Agree. The only way to curb the demand is to ban the dish. The ocean is exploited far too easily, because we can’t see the effects of our actions. Being of Chinese descent, I often come across dubious dishes like this at festivals and special occasions. They don’t interest me, because you can’t rule out the fact that the ingredients were obtained in a cruel fashion. The argument of tradition and culture is irrelevant and anachronistic; the Spanish will eventually live without their bullfighting, the Japanese without their whaling and the Chinese without shark fins.