News

Fly direct from
Canberra to New Zealand

How much fuel do you need?

By Pork Hunt - 8 April 2012 49

The Canberra Times tells us that ASIO wants to store 600,000 litres of diesel fuel at their new HQ to run back up power generators.

April fools day was last week, what’s going on?

600,000 lt is about 15 semi trailer tanker loads of diesel fuel which would be enough to run the biggest genny in the world for about 10 years.

What’s Your opinion?

49 Responses to
How much fuel do you need?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Sgt.Bungers 1:44 pm 10 Apr 12

Innovation said :

The whole building is a decoy. I reckon the new ASIO building is actually being built underneath the Canberra airport… which is why the new terminal is taking so long 🙂

GardeningGirl 1:15 pm 10 Apr 12

JC said :

GardeningGirl said :

I feel bad for anybody living in the area who had concerns about the building and is now faced with a “we’ve already built the building so now you have to let us put in the fuel depot too” scenario. Is there a problem with me caring about what affects fellow Canberrans, or caring about how town planning decisions are pushed through?

Nothing wrong with caring about how this effects Canberrans, but tell me how does this effect Canberrans or should I say Campbellians? I mean to say it is fuel storage, not too dissimilar to a service station, which if I recall Campbell once had in the centre of the suburb? The main difference is the quantity which yes is more probably by about 3 times and of course it is located no where near the bulk of the houses. So what exactly is the issue?

Yes, and all those sorts of details should have come out originally.

Disinformation 12:47 pm 10 Apr 12

It never fails to amaze me how people conveniently forget the mobile petrol tankers that constantly drive throughout Australian suburbs and cities. These at least have a worldwide history of having accidents and causing flaming death along random stretches of road which could literally be right next to your house, or local preschool.

But point out that some stable and hard to ignite diesel is going to be put in the ground under a building in case the power goes out and people feel the need to be concerned about it.

As a good friend of mine once said. “People are idiots.”

Mr Evil 12:38 pm 10 Apr 12

Just wait until the bring in the gas turbine for the John Stanhope Memorial data centre they’re building underneath the ASIO building….

That’ll leave funny stains on the washing of the Campbellians! 🙂

niftydog 12:14 pm 10 Apr 12

dungfungus said :

There is. Two generators in fact. But I don’t recall seeing anything like a 600,000L tank.

john87_no1 12:06 pm 10 Apr 12

Chop71 said :

Fuel does have a shelf life, well so I have been told

Yeah it has a shelf life unless your Shell or BP…..

john87_no1 12:06 pm 10 Apr 12

Who cares, but im guessing its enough to prevent a catastrophic systems failure in the event of a disaster be it natural or manmade.

Chop71 10:48 am 10 Apr 12

Fuel does have a shelf life, well so I have been told

dungfungus 10:33 am 10 Apr 12

JC said :

GardeningGirl said :

I suspect there would be a similar set-up in Parliament house re emergency generators and fuel storage; also Canberra Hospital, half the clubs in Civic etc.

p1 9:10 am 10 Apr 12

Little_Green_Bag said :

dazzab said :

I reckon that building is fake and just a diversion. The real ASIO is probably deep under the lake accessed from a secret door in the Carillon. But don’t tell anyone.

Actually this is not as far fetched and satirical as it might appear at first…

That’s right.

JC 6:40 am 10 Apr 12

GardeningGirl said :

Little_Green_Bag 4:57 am 10 Apr 12

dazzab said :

Actually this is not as far fetched and satirical as it might appear at first.

In 1979 I read a newspaper article saying that a new spy headquarters would be built underground in the Parliamentary triangle and that there would be a secret tunnel leading to (Old) Parliament House for senior ministers to access. I remember seeing construction in the area at the time but no signs saying what was being constructed, unlike the new High Court and National Gallery sites.

In 2001 there was an open day at Old Parliament House and we were shown the old members’ and ministers offices. At one point there was a small corridor leading off to a door containing a push button security lock common in the 1970s and ’80s unlike other doors in the building which either had no locks or just plain deadlocks. I asked if we could go there and was told by the guide “Ah, no that’s no access”. Could that have been the door to the tunnel leading to the spy headquarters, if in fact the spy headquarters ever existed or still exists?

MightyJoe 9:00 pm 09 Apr 12

Wonder if they will sell by the litre? That way Finance / ASIO could make some money back on the $ blowout!

GardeningGirl 8:06 pm 09 Apr 12

shauno said :

GardeningGirl said :

I-filed said :

Innovation said :

I’m very surprised that this didn’t come up at the design stage. If it had, I imagine that there would have been a larger reaction than there likely will be now. I still find it strange that spooks would want such a prominent and easily identifiable building. It’s almost like they are chiseling away at what they need.

It will have come up at the design stage – I’m sure they strategically timed the request to be pretty much a fait accompli …

Just what I was thinking!
I usually have some sympathy for NIMBY’s because they’re the ones who have to live with the consequences so why shouldn’t they care. I did think the objections to the ASIO building weren’t really justified but now I’m disgusted by this attempt to sneak something else in later.

um why oh why are you concerned. lol

p1 6:29 pm 09 Apr 12

Are ASIO planning on keeping this fuel in a stack of Jerry cans in the back yard? Or do the plans include 600k Litres worth of tanks? If so, did no one notice the tanks on the plan and ask what they were for? Or did they never show anyone that part of the plan, in which case why is this even being reported?

I wonder if the people in Campbell worried about this have any idea how many cubic metres of fuel is at Russell or Campbell Park? (or for that matter, in the secret bunker under the lake?)

shauno 6:00 pm 09 Apr 12

GardeningGirl said :

I-filed said :

Innovation said :

Just what I was thinking!

um why oh why are you concerned. lol

GardeningGirl 2:46 pm 09 Apr 12

I-filed said :

Innovation said :

Just what I was thinking!

shauno 1:51 pm 09 Apr 12

US strategic petroleum reserve is around 727 million barrels of oil. Or around 160 litres x 727million = 116 billion or so litres haha.

johnboy 2:29 pm 09 Apr 12

the strategic reserve however is kept where the oil was found, in old oil wells, not in Campbell.

Sandman 1:26 pm 09 Apr 12

JC said :

Years ago I used to work at one of the larger servo’s in town. If I recall we had two 4 separate tanks, the ones for super and unleaded were about 120,000l each and the premium and diesel tanks were about 60,000l each. So about 360,000 in total, or about half what ASIO is planning.

I personally don’t see what the issue is anyway. It’s not like diesel is going to go ka-boom like petrol vapours do. Diesel is a lot harder to ignite and when it does it will just burn rather than explode and of course it is much easier to put out as a result. Additionally considering it is going to be used for generators the storage and use of it is going to be much more controlled than fuel that is held and dispensed into vehicles at a servo. So really seems like a non issue being beat up by ill-informed ‘local residents’ and those that are anti anything new.

Agreed. They’re obviously planning for a worst case scenario. If the s**t hits the fan and the power is shut off then the Defence Department and Asio need supplies to keep them running. May be hard to send a couple of Junior staffers down to Caltex with 20L jerry cans to keep the generators running in the case of a National emergency or invasion.

As a matter of perspective, an Olympic swimming pool is 2.5 million litres minimum. This only a quarter of that. Imagine the stockpiles somewhere like the US would have set aside to run their Military. It’d probably make the new Cotter Dam look like a puddle.

deye 12:43 pm 09 Apr 12

JC said :

Given how close it is to the lake, it could be interesting if a leak occurs.