How you can fight the ACT Government’s Bag Ban

Mr Gillespie 9 February 2012 189

Are you sick of having to pay for your own shopping bags these days because of the ACT Government’s Plastic Shopping Bag Ban? I am looking for ideas to send Simon the message that we will not accept decisions about shopping bags being forced down our throats each and every time we go to the corner shop to get the groceries.

I apologise in advance for sounding stupid when offering my own ideas, but I am happy to hear from anyone here on RiotACT who has better ideas on how to fight this menace before we finally get the chance to ‘bag’ the bag banners once and for all, at the October 2012 election.

Here are some of my own ideas:

• Bring your own “reusable” bags, but display protest messages about how disgusted you are with the ACT Government’s shopping bag ban, and a reminder about the October 20 election
  • If you haven’t brought your own bags, wait for the shop assistant to finish pricing all your groceries and you are ready to pay, before they ask you if you want any bags. Don’t accept the assistant’s question about wanting to “buy” any bags. Instead, refuse to pay for your shopping, and leave all items at the checkout counter.
  • Find a shop that hands out free bags (they can be paper bags, they don’t even have to be plastic). Refuse to accept having to pay for shopping bags.
  • Shop in Queanbeyan (sounds a bit silly, and not cost-effective if you don’t live in that side of Canberra)

I have also tried talking to a (Liberal-voting) high-profile Canberra store manager, and offered a petition, but he didn’t sound very optimistic and said I would need a huge number of signatures if I was to hope to make any difference, because the current Assembly has too many numbers supporting the ban. He suggested going on ABC Radio 666 in the morning when MLAs are likely to be listening on their way to work, and waiting for a related topic to come up.

What NOT to do (apart from the obvious):

• Don’t carry green-coloured bags around, or display any bag that bears “save the planet” or other environmental propaganda messages
  • Don’t pay the shop assistant for any bags, or allow yourself to be tricked into buying any bags
  • Don’t fall for the ACT Government’s environmental reasoning behind the ban

Remember — this is about our rights not to be bossed around by the ‘Nanny State’ like this. The Green’s agenda is all about trying to control our lives whenever they see a reason that has to do with “saving the environment”. They don’t care about basic facts like the ACT is a small, landlocked state away with very, very little access to the open ocean where the world’s waste collects into gyres like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. They don’t take into account the fact that there are a whole lot of other things made of plastic or something else non-biodegradeable that goes to waste in mass quantities. The Greens can reason all they like, but it doesn’t alter the fact that their policies intrude into our day-to-day lives to unacceptable levels.

Does it worry you what they will do next? The Greens-run Gold Coast City Council banned helium balloons. Do you want the same thing happening here?

[ED – more than usually, the poster’s views are their own]

189 Responses to How you can fight the ACT Government’s Bag Ban
Baldy Baldy 11:53 am 09 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Thumper said :

The bag ban is undoubtedly a feelgood, do nothing policy, however, it costs 10-15 cents to buy a bag.

In the whole scheme of things this is nothing.

Just buy them.

What??? Why the fuck should I buy them!!!! Do you like throwing your money away on waste? because I don’t!!! It is MY DECISION ONLY if I want to use a reusable shopping bag or not!!!

It’s not the money, it’s the principle. It is bad form to just take people’s money when they don’t consent to supporting a cause they don’t believe in.

So what you are complaining about is having to spend 10-15c??? wow

Baldy Baldy 11:51 am 09 Feb 12

Heh. this is the silliest post I have read on here.

First world problems huh?

davo101 davo101 11:42 am 09 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Why don’t you try complaining to your friendly retailer? There is nothing in the law that says they have to charge you for bags. Ask, nicely, why they are not providing you with biodegradable bags and explain that if they don’t you’ll take your business elsewhere (Queanbeyan).

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 11:41 am 09 Feb 12

AnimosiTy said :

at first it was a bit frustrating but when it comes to the bottom line it’s good to not have heaps of plastic bags… well non bio degradable ones.
suck it up.. it’s not that much if you NEED to buy a bag. or be more onto of your life and remember to bring them with you!
and remember to have a good laugh at people juggling their piles of groceries to the car! lol!
everything is over priced now adays any way… just be grateful that we are doing good for the environment in the long run! 🙂

Sorry Animosity, but that’s the sort of “feel-good” greenie reasoning that is used to justify this unnecessary annoyance. As I said, there are a lot more things made of plastic than just bags, that go to waste into landfill.

For God sake, there is enough stress in our lives, how many more unnecessary problems are people prepared to let lunatics like the Greens impose on us all, while we just sit back and make a mockery of all the “little things” without thought to the fact that these little things have a habit of adding up to a day’s worth of stress, annoyance and inconvenience!!!

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 11:39 am 09 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Thumper said :

In the whole scheme of things this is nothing.

Just buy them.

like spending tax dollars on the military?

Jungle Jim Jungle Jim 11:37 am 09 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Thumper said :

In the whole scheme of things this is nothing.

Just buy them.

Why is it you think you’re entitled to FREE shopping bags anyway?

Free bags are no longer offered. Live with it. Either bring your own bags or only buy what you can carry in your arms each time you shop. You’re not being forced to use (and therefore pay for) plastic bags.

Deref Deref 11:36 am 09 Feb 12

“I apologise in advance for sounding stupid”

You can’t help how you were born.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 11:33 am 09 Feb 12

Thumper said :

In the whole scheme of things this is nothing.

Just buy them.

AnimosiTy AnimosiTy 11:31 am 09 Feb 12

…. the 10 or 15c bag will be the CHEAPEST thing you can buy from wollies! lol

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 11:30 am 09 Feb 12

poetix said :

‘I am looking for ideas to send Simon the message that we will not accept decisions about shopping bags being forced down our throats each and every time we go to the corner shop to get the groceries.’

I wasn’t aware that there was a law to force shopping bags down our throats on such a regular basis. What do they think we are, endangered sea turtles?

This kind of mockery is just a reflection of your stupidity and ignorance, not mine.

AnimosiTy AnimosiTy 11:29 am 09 Feb 12

poetix poetix 11:27 am 09 Feb 12

davo101 davo101 11:24 am 09 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Sorry to have to break it to you greenie supporters but I kinda don’t like having to pay for my own bags when I forget to walk from the checkout back to my car 5 metres away in the carpark to “BYO” bag!!

Wow, where do you shop? I can never get a parking spot that close.

arescarti42 arescarti42 11:22 am 09 Feb 12

What garbage.

The plastic bag ban is at its worst a law with questionable environmental credentials that mildly inconveniences or imposes trivial costs on some people. Had you proposed a sensible and reasonable way address it, for example, by writing to the government or making people aware of the reasons why it is environmentally questionable, you may have gotten some support.

Instead you blow the issue out of proportion, calling the law a “menace”, and make a bunch of stupid and unreasonable suggestions. Explain to me how wasting my time, ruining some poor cashier’s day and wasting the resources of local businesses is going to send a message to the government, or achieve anything at all.

And to top it all off, you use the issue as a guise to voice your own personal, general opinion of how political parties that aren’t the Liberal Party are terrible and out to destroy the country.

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 11:22 am 09 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

I am stupid, I should just move on and get a life.

Wow, for once I completely agree with something you said!

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 11:20 am 09 Feb 12

I see that all of a sudden, everybody is supporting this greenie rubbish and sweeping it under the carpet as a “non-issue”, I am “stupid”, making a complete mockery of me for speaking out, and I should just “move on” and “get a life”.

It is that kind of apathy that makes the green movement think it is OK to just walk all over us and impose their own agenda on all of us, with “little” changes that add up to their own satisfaction of their wishes and to hell with the majority!!

davo101 davo101 11:12 am 09 Feb 12

dundle said :

Exactly the point of the ban I think you’ll find.

davo101 davo101 11:09 am 09 Feb 12

Why direct all of your anger at the government? Retailers are allowed to keep giving you plastic bags provided that they comply with AS4736-2006. I’m guessing they don’t because they cost a few cents more than the cheapies they were importing from China and they have a financial incentive to give you no bag and tell you it’s the “government’s fault”.

dundle dundle 11:00 am 09 Feb 12

I don’t think it’s worth getting worked up about. In general reducing plastic bags will help a little. To make any environmental change it’s a small step. It’s easy and cheap to get re-useable bags. If you’re really cheap you can even steal the plastic ones for fruit.

The only thing that bothers me is that I’m going to have to buy bin liners soon, I don’t understand how they didnt think of that considering that’s what most people use the bags for. I suppose having to buy them ensures they will be used for their purpose rather than littered about.

djk djk 10:45 am 09 Feb 12

“Despite what Labor and the Greens say, this ban is not about saving the environment. It is about penalising people financially for using plastic shopping bags, much like how Julia Gillard is penalising people financially, with her Carbon Tax.”

And once people are “penalised financially” by having to pay for bags (or carbon), they will tend to do less of the thing they were penalised for and look for more cost efficient options, thereby helping to save the environment.