How you can fight the ACT Government’s Bag Ban

Mr Gillespie 9 February 2012 189

Are you sick of having to pay for your own shopping bags these days because of the ACT Government’s Plastic Shopping Bag Ban? I am looking for ideas to send Simon the message that we will not accept decisions about shopping bags being forced down our throats each and every time we go to the corner shop to get the groceries.

Despite what Labor and the Greens say, this ban is not about saving the environment. It is about penalising people financially for using plastic shopping bags, much like how Julia Gillard is penalising people financially, with her Carbon Tax.

I apologise in advance for sounding stupid when offering my own ideas, but I am happy to hear from anyone here on RiotACT who has better ideas on how to fight this menace before we finally get the chance to ‘bag’ the bag banners once and for all, at the October 2012 election.

Here are some of my own ideas:

• Bring your own “reusable” bags, but display protest messages about how disgusted you are with the ACT Government’s shopping bag ban, and a reminder about the October 20 election
  • If you haven’t brought your own bags, wait for the shop assistant to finish pricing all your groceries and you are ready to pay, before they ask you if you want any bags. Don’t accept the assistant’s question about wanting to “buy” any bags. Instead, refuse to pay for your shopping, and leave all items at the checkout counter.
  • Find a shop that hands out free bags (they can be paper bags, they don’t even have to be plastic). Refuse to accept having to pay for shopping bags.
  • Shop in Queanbeyan (sounds a bit silly, and not cost-effective if you don’t live in that side of Canberra)

I have also tried talking to a (Liberal-voting) high-profile Canberra store manager, and offered a petition, but he didn’t sound very optimistic and said I would need a huge number of signatures if I was to hope to make any difference, because the current Assembly has too many numbers supporting the ban. He suggested going on ABC Radio 666 in the morning when MLAs are likely to be listening on their way to work, and waiting for a related topic to come up.

What NOT to do (apart from the obvious):

• Don’t carry green-coloured bags around, or display any bag that bears “save the planet” or other environmental propaganda messages
  • Don’t pay the shop assistant for any bags, or allow yourself to be tricked into buying any bags
  • Don’t fall for the ACT Government’s environmental reasoning behind the ban

Remember — this is about our rights not to be bossed around by the ‘Nanny State’ like this. The Green’s agenda is all about trying to control our lives whenever they see a reason that has to do with “saving the environment”. They don’t care about basic facts like the ACT is a small, landlocked state away with very, very little access to the open ocean where the world’s waste collects into gyres like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. They don’t take into account the fact that there are a whole lot of other things made of plastic or something else non-biodegradeable that goes to waste in mass quantities. The Greens can reason all they like, but it doesn’t alter the fact that their policies intrude into our day-to-day lives to unacceptable levels.

Does it worry you what they will do next? The Greens-run Gold Coast City Council banned helium balloons. Do you want the same thing happening here?

[ED – more than usually, the poster’s views are their own]

189 Responses to How you can fight the ACT Government’s Bag Ban
Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 11:44 am 10 Feb 12

bitzermaloney said :

Jim Jones said :

If you really think that all the plastic bags were being used as bin liners, then I’ve got an awesome bridge to sell you.

The multicultural bridge?

That’s no good, with all the road closures nobody will be able to drive across it.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:26 am 10 Feb 12

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mr Gillespie said :

It’s not up to us to “set an example”!! If we want to set a rotten example and set a precedent showing that it is OK to cause unnecessary extra annoyances and inconveniences in people’s lives, then I want no part of that!

How about we set an example by not acting like spoilt, self-entitled jerkwads and instead try to reduce unnecessary consumption and waste?

Acting less like spoilt, self-entitled jerkwads is always good.

The new law doesn’t reduce unnecessary consumption in many cases as the free shopping bags were often used as bin liners, which now have to be purchased separately and still end up getting thrown in the garbage.

There’s a reason I said ” in many cases” and not “every single time”. Use the money from your bridge sale to buy books, and practice reading comprehension.

Ah, *some* bags are used for bin liners – what compelling support for your argument that the ban doesn’t reduce unnecessary consumption.

How about I reduce the price on that bridge just enough for you to buy a book on ‘how not to make a gigantic arse of yourself’.

Jethro Jethro 11:26 am 10 Feb 12

dixyland said :

If this isn’t a stitch-up, I feel sorry for you.

You’re obviously new to the musings of one Mr G.

Thumper Thumper 11:22 am 10 Feb 12

KB1971 said :

bitzermaloney said :

Jim Jones said :

The multicultural bridge?

With food on a stick?

Guinea Pigs on a stick?

Served in plastic bags?

dixyland dixyland 10:53 am 10 Feb 12

If this isn’t a stitch-up, I feel sorry for you.

Mysteryman Mysteryman 10:46 am 10 Feb 12

Jim Jones said :

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mr Gillespie said :

Acting less like spoilt, self-entitled jerkwads is always good.

p1 p1 10:44 am 10 Feb 12

Thumper said :

colourful sydney racing identity said :

Mr Gillespie said :

Since when did we become the guinea pig state?

Since the guinea pigs took over with the tacit approval of the reptoids

I bow to our new guinea pig overlords.

Besides, much cuter than reptoids…

I will never bow to the collaborating Vichy guinea pig scum!

cubicle01 cubicle01 10:41 am 10 Feb 12

Me no fry said :

NoImRight said :

In my youth I worked as a grocery packer. Remember them? WE packed your groceries and then carried them to the car.

Yes Im that old.

So am I. Growing up in Newcastle, I remember shopping with mum at Woolies, and having the groceries packed in paper bags (then, instead of taking them with you, you could either get the bags home delivered – at a cost – or pick them up in the car from a sort of drive-through hatch. What a great idea that was).

I never was convinced that the switch to plastic bags was such a great idea. But you get used to things. I’m sure people will get used to the plastic bag ban in the ACT, even if it isn’t as environmentally friendly as is being claimed.

Yes!! They use to do this at Westfield Kotara /nee Garden City /nee Kotara Fair.

KB1971 KB1971 10:40 am 10 Feb 12

bitzermaloney said :

Jim Jones said :

The multicultural bridge?

With food on a stick?

bitzermaloney bitzermaloney 10:26 am 10 Feb 12

Jim Jones said :

The multicultural bridge?

Thumper Thumper 10:19 am 10 Feb 12

Brianna said :

What a crock of crap. Why not get a different band wagon? What about all the global companies who package their items too much? Individually wrapped soaps for instance………

Totally agree.

The amount of packaging on consumable, and non consumables for that matter, is quite ridiculous.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 10:17 am 10 Feb 12

Mysteryman said :

Jim Jones said :

Mr Gillespie said :

Acting less like spoilt, self-entitled jerkwads is always good.

Brianna Brianna 10:07 am 10 Feb 12

Buzz2600 Buzz2600 9:49 am 10 Feb 12

Rusalka said :

As all my opinions have been expressed more eloquently by most other people already, I will just say that if you can’t remember to take your bags to the supermarket watch this and you’ll never get the idea out of you head. Worked wonders for me, I have a shopping song.

This is gold!

Mysteryman Mysteryman 9:45 am 10 Feb 12

Jim Jones said :

Mr Gillespie said :

Acting less like spoilt, self-entitled jerkwads is always good.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 9:37 am 10 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Thumper Thumper 9:33 am 10 Feb 12

colourful sydney racing identity said :

Mr Gillespie said :

Since when did we become the guinea pig state?

Since the guinea pigs took over with the tacit approval of the reptoids

I bow to our new guinea pig overlords.

Besides, much cuter than reptoids…

davo101 davo101 9:31 am 10 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Maybe because they “forget”?? And now “forgetting” comes at a price, a penalty, the 10c or 5c or 15c or whatever fee the shop charges to cover the cost of the more expensive >35µm bags they have to sell because of this law.

Would you like to have a guess at how much it would actually cost retailers to provide you with a bag?

A 20 Litre checkout singlet bag that compiles with AS4736 costs 6.2 cents the non-biodegradable version costs 2.5 cents. That’s right, the evil government has increased the cost of a supermarket providing you with a plastic bag by 3.7 cents.

nsn nsn 9:15 am 10 Feb 12

This thread has been very entertaining. I hope it wins the Mully. And I am also hoping for a FOTW from Mr Gillespie when the fact that some people approve of this policy, in spite of his increasingly bizarre arguments, finally goes from causing a mere nervous tic to a full-on brain explosion.

Gershwin Gershwin 8:49 am 10 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

Since when did we become the guinea pig state, and since when did Australia become the guinea-pig country of the world for some Marxist’s socialist ideals??

Clearly you don’t have the slightest glimmering of an idea what Marx’s socialist ideals actually are. I’m not even going to touch the implied One World UN-run conspiracy theory in there, refreshing though it is to see it at the local level.

Here’s an action plan for you:

1. Stop listening to Alan Jones.
2. Start doing some independent thinking.
3. See your GP and get on some appropriate meds.
4. Remember to take a bag when you go shopping. I think you’ll find it’s quite easy and will save you the added risk of a cardiac event over the long run.

Any argument that has “I’m too arrogant and lazy to remember to do one simple thing that saves me a small amount of money” is doomed to failure. Do you get this incensed when you forget to pay for parking and get a ticket?

Region Group Pty Ltd