How you can fight the ACT Government’s Bag Ban

Mr Gillespie 9 February 2012 189

Are you sick of having to pay for your own shopping bags these days because of the ACT Government’s Plastic Shopping Bag Ban? I am looking for ideas to send Simon the message that we will not accept decisions about shopping bags being forced down our throats each and every time we go to the corner shop to get the groceries.

Despite what Labor and the Greens say, this ban is not about saving the environment. It is about penalising people financially for using plastic shopping bags, much like how Julia Gillard is penalising people financially, with her Carbon Tax.

I apologise in advance for sounding stupid when offering my own ideas, but I am happy to hear from anyone here on RiotACT who has better ideas on how to fight this menace before we finally get the chance to ‘bag’ the bag banners once and for all, at the October 2012 election.

Here are some of my own ideas:

• Bring your own “reusable” bags, but display protest messages about how disgusted you are with the ACT Government’s shopping bag ban, and a reminder about the October 20 election
  • If you haven’t brought your own bags, wait for the shop assistant to finish pricing all your groceries and you are ready to pay, before they ask you if you want any bags. Don’t accept the assistant’s question about wanting to “buy” any bags. Instead, refuse to pay for your shopping, and leave all items at the checkout counter.
  • Find a shop that hands out free bags (they can be paper bags, they don’t even have to be plastic). Refuse to accept having to pay for shopping bags.
  • Shop in Queanbeyan (sounds a bit silly, and not cost-effective if you don’t live in that side of Canberra)

I have also tried talking to a (Liberal-voting) high-profile Canberra store manager, and offered a petition, but he didn’t sound very optimistic and said I would need a huge number of signatures if I was to hope to make any difference, because the current Assembly has too many numbers supporting the ban. He suggested going on ABC Radio 666 in the morning when MLAs are likely to be listening on their way to work, and waiting for a related topic to come up.

What NOT to do (apart from the obvious):

• Don’t carry green-coloured bags around, or display any bag that bears “save the planet” or other environmental propaganda messages
  • Don’t pay the shop assistant for any bags, or allow yourself to be tricked into buying any bags
  • Don’t fall for the ACT Government’s environmental reasoning behind the ban

Remember — this is about our rights not to be bossed around by the ‘Nanny State’ like this. The Green’s agenda is all about trying to control our lives whenever they see a reason that has to do with “saving the environment”. They don’t care about basic facts like the ACT is a small, landlocked state away with very, very little access to the open ocean where the world’s waste collects into gyres like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. They don’t take into account the fact that there are a whole lot of other things made of plastic or something else non-biodegradeable that goes to waste in mass quantities. The Greens can reason all they like, but it doesn’t alter the fact that their policies intrude into our day-to-day lives to unacceptable levels.

Does it worry you what they will do next? The Greens-run Gold Coast City Council banned helium balloons. Do you want the same thing happening here?

[ED – more than usually, the poster’s views are their own]

189 Responses to How you can fight the ACT Government’s Bag Ban
kakosi kakosi 11:06 pm 04 Mar 12

A few shops still provide free plastic bags – but I don’t mind paying for the nice thick green plastic bags as they are only a few cents more per bag than the bin liners I normally buy and they have stronger handles. Not sure if the ban is actually saving the environment as there are still lots of plastic bags (and thicker ones) being produced. Guess it’s a gesture in a society where plastic coats and covers almost every item we buy.

Captain RAAF Captain RAAF 9:27 pm 04 Mar 12

colourful sydney racing identity said :

pajs said :

I don’t think Mr Gillespie is real. I think he is a character created by Johnboy for the purposes of troll-posting and driving site traffic. The newsreader fetishism, the speeding, now the bags stuff… no way that is a real cluster of issues. I won’t believe otherwise until Mr G has his own blog.

I have always suspected that he, Captain RAAF, that uni student and Homeless are the same person, whether that same person is JB I am not so sure…

Yeah, I have seen you make this claim before. I assure, he aint me! No way you would ever catch me living in Gungers!

Captain RAAF Captain RAAF 9:25 pm 04 Mar 12

My personal fave, take a roll of the clear bags from the fruit and Veg section and when they ask if you have any bags just hand them the roll, with a smile!

FBMKid94 FBMKid94 7:58 pm 04 Mar 12

if some prick did this to me while i was at work, i would go nuts.
im generally nice enough to just give the 15c bags for free.

Disinformation Disinformation 3:28 pm 16 Feb 12

johnboy said :

his youtube channel isn’t enough for you?

Hey, link or it doesn’t exist!

I’ll admit to morbid curiosity. It will be a good argument for the licensing of Internet users in future.

johnboy johnboy 3:08 pm 16 Feb 12

Between this and the allegations I was faking Samuel Gordon Stewart I have to say I’m flattered you guys think I’m capable of creating such outlandish characters.

Truth is stranger than fiction as they say!

GeneralMonash GeneralMonash 3:01 pm 16 Feb 12

johnboy said :

his youtube channel isn’t enough for you?

you sure put a lot of thought into this JB

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 12:06 pm 16 Feb 12

johnboy said :

his youtube channel isn’t enough for you?

he has a youtube channel? Is it as entertaining as John Moulis twitter?

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 12:03 pm 16 Feb 12

pajs said :

pajs pajs 11:54 am 16 Feb 12

GeneralMonash GeneralMonash 11:39 am 16 Feb 12

I’m suprised that you would complain about the plastic bag costs rather than the costs of the things in them, you astound even me good sir. Not that I think they are overly priced (but what do I have to compare to?) but if you think you deserve plastic bags for free, why not the food you carry in them? I don’t understand.

Also ‘gubiment’ cracks me up every time

sepi sepi 9:38 am 13 Feb 12

I’m in favour of the ban. Loads more people are bringing re-usable bags and keeping a fold up bag in their handbags.

I”m not sure why they couldn’t keep the old style thin bags in supermarkets and just charge 5c for them, and likewise the really thick plastic bags they use in coles are a bit too strong for the purpose, but too ugly for much re-using, but overall I think it is working as a policy and will work even better as people get more used to supplying their own bags.

Baldy Baldy 8:34 am 13 Feb 12

Ok then poll time. 6 Pages in what is the general consensus here?

The Plastic bag ban is is a well thought out policy or the ban is a waste of time and effort?

Also, is Mr Gillespie for real on this post or just trying to get this month’s Mully award with a silly post.

Futureproof Futureproof 9:11 am 12 Feb 12

The plastic bag law is a joke. I can go into a supermarket and buy 30 items of fruit putting each item in its own plastic bag (the ones you tear off near the vegies), but I cant put 30 items in one plastic bag supplied by the store.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 6:41 pm 11 Feb 12

If anyone is a rabid beast that should be put down in this situation, it’s Labor-Greens bureaucrats who make stupid, idiotic decisions that are a whole lot dumber than any comment made on any Internet message board by users such as me, Dr Koresh!

DrKoresh DrKoresh 1:22 pm 11 Feb 12

Mr Gillespie said :

It’s not up to us to “set an example”!! If we want to set a rotten example and set a precedent showing that it is OK to cause unnecessary extra annoyances and inconveniences in people’s lives, then I want no part of that!

Since when did we become the guinea pig state, and since when did Australia become the guinea-pig country of the world for some Marxist’s socialist ideals??

May I ask you, Sandman, why you voluntarily chose to use flimsy plastic bags before the ban coerced that choice away for everyone then complain about how the bag split open spilling its contents? Why didn’t you at least nest the bags inside each other so they wouldn’t have split open like this??

Please, for the love of God, shut-up. You are so dumb and, as your gratuitous use of ‘?’s and ‘!’s seems to indicate, suffering from severe mental deficiencies. I would argue against your points but clearly you’re beyond rational discussion and, like all rabid beasts, should just be put down.

trevar trevar 11:19 am 11 Feb 12

You know, six pages in (and not having read all of them), it occurs to me that the OP is based on a flawed premise; plastic bags were never free; how would a business person stay in business if they were paying for plastic bags and not passing that overhead on, just as they pass on the cost of the building, lighting, and so on. The only change is that the cost is now itemised on the bill rather than built into the pricing structure… although I expect few businesses will have reduced their markups in response to the change!

Jethro Jethro 9:30 pm 10 Feb 12

spinact said :

If this thread doesn’t win a mully I’ll be very disappointed! May RiotAct needs a Super Troll award as well.

Those pesky Greens with their women only pools might win out.

I don’t go swimming anymore, as I have no plastic bags to put my wet stuff in afterwards.

Mr Gillespie Mr Gillespie 9:22 pm 10 Feb 12

The Traineediplomat said :

……..Shop online and have the groceries delivered if you hate waiting in queues and parking 5m from the store.

It’s the same as any stick or carrot approach. Eventually it will change people’s behaviour. Like drink driving, remember how widespread and ‘normal’ that was in the 1970s etc? Now only arsehats continue to do it.

Maybe I’ve worked out Mr Gillespies ‘thing’, he’s a 1970s arsehat that refuses to change.

To clarify that tiny point, the parking 5m away from the shop comment I made earlier on, was not about the parking. It was a slight to show how ridiculous paying for bags is, to show the checkout operator that they can’t include the price of the bag when ringing up the groceries on the till.

You can’t compare shopping bag usage to drink-driving. The laws concerning drink-driving are a GENUINE, USEFUL law designed with safety in mind, however, the laws about plastic bags are designed only as a feel-good measure by the Labor-Greens Coalition, and their environmentally obsessed, brainwashed supporters. We’re meant to be doing something positive to help the environment, which means we ALL have to do without those low-cost, yet evil, nasty, non-biodegradeable plastic bags made of nasty, poisonous, petroleum-based environmentally unfriendly plastic that could cause an apocalypse worse than the dreadful climate-change scenarios their friends in the Federal Parliament are always dreaming up.

Go figure!