I think I have a problem . . .

poptop 22 February 2009 27

This evening, I found this in my cats’ bowl, apparently trying to take an entire cat biscuit somewhere. There were a number of its friends with it.

It looks like a European Wasp to me.

I don’t know where it lives nor was I aware that Friskies™ were part of the wasp circle of life.

How does one track a wasp back to its lair?

27 Responses to I think I have a problem . . .
tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 1:38 pm 23 Feb 09

For people thinking about leaving European Wasps somewhere for a while, I offer the following picture.

Except that that article is from The United States of Obama and they are Jacket Wasps rather than Euros.

Either way – damage by both can be shocking apparently. I’d suggest to get it sorted ASAP!

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 1:27 pm 23 Feb 09

Thumper Thumper 1:23 pm 23 Feb 09

I had Phil remove a nest for me yesterday (sorry Thumper, didn’t cost me)

Actually, it was about $80. So, not that bad really…

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 1:11 pm 23 Feb 09

I have a nest behind some bricks of the house in a cavity… Haven’t really wanted to fork out the $200 to get it exterminated and tried wasp spray twice bu they kept re-building.\

Might wanna get that looked at Madman. I’ve been advised that they can cause nasty structural damage in time.

I’d suggest either calling Phil (if Mr Venom can post the number), or call Dr Maks pet control. He was awesome and fixed my problem for a very competitive price.

Madman Madman 1:07 pm 23 Feb 09

They go in and out of it all day and there is about 20-30 of them. There’s minimal activity early morning and after the sun has set.

My motorbike is parked 2 metres from the nest and I haven’t had a problem with aggressiveness.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:14 pm 23 Feb 09

I had Phil remove a nest for me yesterday (sorry Thumper, didn’t cost me)

Who’s this Phil dude, and whats hit contact numbers V Twin?

try feeding your cats real cat food instead.

Why, what do you feed you cats proofpositive? Somehow I think we won’t get a response to your idiotic point!

poptop poptop 10:35 am 23 Feb 09

In my defence, proofpositive, I feed my cats a range of things, usually on a bed of cat biscuits.

This gives my cats teeth a bit of a clean and provides a snack for the extensive other wild- and feral-life that seem to enjoy catty leftovers (this includes other cats, dogs, currawongs, magpies and now European wasps.

I thought I’d probably have to find the nest before calling the experts in. Following insects back to ther nest as night is falling seems a bit difficult, is all.

Muttsybignuts Muttsybignuts 10:34 am 23 Feb 09

In my experience they seem to mind their own business unless you have a go at them. Then, they get all angry and start looking for things to sting. Problem is, they don’t sting just once. They keep going and going and going.

V twin venom V twin venom 9:45 am 23 Feb 09

Contact the European wasp hotline. I had Phil remove a nest for me yesterday (sorry Thumper, didn’t cost me). He is a hell of a nice guy, professional and he takes the nest away for study. He even gave little venom a run down on how they make their nests and left him a bit of it and some literature to take to show at school.

The wasps had been around for many weeks but caused us and our pets no grief at all.

PBO PBO 9:30 am 23 Feb 09

I had some last year, got rid of them myself with bugspray, wire and fire. Not what i would recommend to most people, but in that situation it worked just fine.

pug206gti pug206gti 9:12 am 23 Feb 09

We’ve had them at bbqs a few times this summer. They really do get excited about that sort of fare, and generally won’t bugger off either.

Thumper Thumper 8:18 am 23 Feb 09

Yep. I had a nest in my backyard and it was underground. Cost me about $180 or so to get them removed.

Clown Killer Clown Killer 8:01 am 23 Feb 09

I’m given to understand that this time of year these wasps diet is predominantly meat or meat based, so its not surprising to see them having a go at pet food.

The one European wasp nest I have found was under ground. I was a hole about 5cm across and could only really be located by watching where the wasps were going. I’m told that they can get pretty agressive around the nest so it’s a good ida to get a professional pest exterminator in to deal with one if you do find it.

Granny Granny 2:05 am 23 Feb 09

cat food

noun
food prepared for cats

cat food. (n.d.). WordNet® 3.0. Retrieved February 22, 2009, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cat food

Per the dictionary, Friskies™ is real cat food.

proofpositive proofpositive 1:39 am 23 Feb 09

try feeding your cats real cat food instead.

geetee geetee 11:39 pm 22 Feb 09

A simple trap for European wasps is to put a jam jar (with some jam residue still left in it) near the transit route of the insects. Poke a few small holes in the jam jar lid with a knife or fork. Just sit it down and the trap is set.

It won’t kill the hive but you can perhaps use the jar to track where they are coming from and the jam inside will be more of a lure than your pet food or kids.

kevn kevn 10:04 pm 22 Feb 09

I seasol’d and powerfed (liquid fertiliser) a whole heap of my plants last Sunday and these pricks came from all angles. Hundreds of them buzzing around my back yard. Had to take the indoor plants back in via the front door.

The other day we had some fruit salad and they were buzzing around the open back door too.

I was tempted to post back here asking a similar question. I am 99% sure they aren’t on my property, but on the reserve we back onto.

Two things I have heard, but am happy to be corrected on:

They are constantly heading to and from the nest. (this seems at odds with thumper above?)
They will be buzzing about withing a relatively short distance from the nest (couple hundred meters?)

I was tempted to start some triangulation techniques involving either undiluted seasol or pineapples, but if anyone has a better idea, let me know. I’d love to find the pricks and get ACT Gov to come burn em out…

Danman Danman 10:01 pm 22 Feb 09

Move your pet food bowl inside, you do not want rover or moggy to eat one of these suckers.

Deano Deano 9:54 pm 22 Feb 09

Yep, its a European wasp. Pet food is one of the main attractants of these pests.

Thumper Thumper 9:49 pm 22 Feb 09

You’ll have to wait until dusk when they come back to the nest. I guess you have to be lucky to catch them…