News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Ice, Meth and E soon to be sold by the cops

By paperboy - 5 July 2008 163

ABC recently reported that the laws are being upgraded in the ACT to allow our local police to possess and sell drugs.

It brings our laws into line with other states, allowing officers to buy and sell drugs, without fear of being prosecuted themselves for possessing the illegal substance.

It’s probably surprising they haven’t had this power before now, but when the laws are passed, it will certainly change the atmosphere in and around many of Canberra’s better known nightclubs. Not to mention a few of the city’s dark lanes and back streets.

What’s Your opinion?

163 Responses to
Ice, Meth and E soon to be sold by the cops
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
serpico 1:50 pm 10 Jul 08

The War on drugs will never be won because you so called experts do not understand WHY people who take hard drugs for the FIRST time decide to continue to use them.It is not because they are instantly addicted.The REASON is because the drugs make you feel so good initially.The real problem is temptation and availability and no one can stop that.Look at what happened during prohibition of alcohol in America between 1920-1933.It was a complete failure.And all you know alls who have never tried illegal drugs,you have no idea what your talking about.

farq 8:41 am 10 Jul 08

Well farq me.

This thread is getting way out of hand, and for once it’s not my fault. Can’t we just pretend to listen to each other?

Do you want Jazz to have to close another thread?

Petsy: Thanks.

Ingeegoodbee 7:15 am 10 Jul 08

MRB,care to point out one single post on this thread where I have expressed an opinion on this topic? Anyone …. anyone …. Bueller? Diddn’t think so.

All I’m doing is poking a little fun at the idiots here who what to muscle up when the single synapse connecting their live brain cell with the dead one starts to overload under the stress of dealing with other people that hold different but equally valid points of view.

Buddy, I may not always be right, but I’m rarely wrong … when I am though it’s usually seriously wrong and I’ll take responsibility for that.

MRB 1:17 am 10 Jul 08

Geez, I’d love to be like DMD and Ingee…you know, the type that no matter what anyone else says, you are always right. Although I’d imagine that you’d be a right pain in the a#s to you friends in ‘real’ life, that is, assuming you do have real friends.

“Quality control as well would drastically reduce the amount of overdoses and possibly the likelihood of addiction”.

Are you serious????

“Hello, welcome to the quality control heroin distribution centre, QCHDC. Are you a 80%, 50% or 30% pure recipient? We have all three flavours. Please note however, as we are quality controlled, if you don’t tell us the truth, we are not responsible!”

People that are used to x percent pure will eventually need more to get the same high, and make no mistake, that’s what they’ll be chasing. This is achived by either by a higher purity, or more of the product. Quality control has got sweet FA to do with it.

DMD etc. I really can’t believe that someone with your apparent intelligence (“apparent” being obvious to yourselves) belives this stuff. Although I do wish it was a problem as easily solved as you suggest, the reality is that it is not.

serpico 8:10 pm 09 Jul 08

Pesty said :

Thumper said :

Interestingly, who is to say that the so called war on drugs has been lost? After all, there is no bench mark to say yes or no.

Yes, there are smackies and methheads in civic.

For all we know, it has been won and there would be ten times more without the current regime.

Who knows? As I said, there’s no measurable way to tell. Therefore the tired old mantra that the war of drugs is lost that gets peddled out everytime this issue arises, is totally and absolutely irrelevant.

On the news today was an item regarding smuggling drugs “internally” apparently there has been a resurgence of this practice believed to be the result of greater detection of consignments in containers etc at the ports. So, all is not lost, far from it it would seem.

Referring to the first paragraph.Have you ever heard of statistics.

Deadmandrinking 8:06 pm 09 Jul 08

And look…you’re an anarchist, Headbonius.

Deadmandrinking 8:02 pm 09 Jul 08

Aw, poor baby.

Headbonius 7:55 pm 09 Jul 08

dmd AND iNGEE YOU HAVE NO IDEA.

Deadmandrinking 7:48 pm 09 Jul 08

Shut-up Maelinar. People with brains and opinions are talking.

Thumper, I was not questioning whether you knew ambos. I said hypothetical ambo, because you said ask any ambo, not a specific ambo,so I can’t really say a specific ambo would deal with…God f-king christ, Thumper, I know you’re not stupid. You must know what I mean!

Mælinar 7:38 pm 09 Jul 08

WMD, Thumper works with ambo’s all the time. Either pull your head in or pass on whatever qualification level you have in the field of medicine so we can doubly gaze in wonderment at your qualifications and your ability to pile s4it that high off the ground.

I salute your ability at binding feaces.

And yes, that was a comment directed at you. Don’t expect an answer though to whatever peurile drivel you type addressed to me next.

Special G 7:36 pm 09 Jul 08

I have no sympathy whaysoever for a junkie who OD’s. I have spoken wih a number of ambos who narcan the same person several times in a night as they don’t learn too quick.

Less drugs on the streets is a good thing however it comes about. Our society doesn’t tolerate hard drugs so legislating the Police to get rid it is a good thing. Now we just need to work on the courts.

Pesty 7:33 pm 09 Jul 08

Deadmandrinking said :

[Original Moderated]

**Flame business section ends. Discussion section below**

Pesty, on the taxpayer thing…alcohol and tobacco are heavily taxed. People who purchase these products enough for them to cause health problems are pretty much funding their own health-care costs. I assume it would be the same with drugs.

Quality control as well would drastically reduce the amount of overdoses and possibly the likelihood of addiction (Btw, you don’t become addicted to heroin the first time, usually, although it depends on the person). A good number of the cases Thumper’s hypothetical ambo would have been dealing with that were heroin-related would have been the result of the heroin being too pure or cut with something bad.

I was making comment on the use of drugs as things are at present, and will be for the forseeable.I have no doubt should they ever become legalised & thus controlled, they will be taxed to buggery!

Pesty 7:27 pm 09 Jul 08

farq said :

Petsy, I sort of covered that when I said:

…(both of which impact on society through the provision of health and welfare services)…

I guess we could say that after you fill up on fatty foods and play xbox most of your life, which tax payer funded hospital will you expect help with your cardiovascular problems from?

As I said, it’s a complex issue.

Fair comment

Deadmandrinking 7:01 pm 09 Jul 08

So you’re talking about a certain ambo in particular?

Thumper 6:59 pm 09 Jul 08

Not hypothetical?

No, real.

As in real people doing a real job. no hypotheticals about it.

Deadmandrinking 5:51 pm 09 Jul 08

[Moderated]

**Flame business section ends. Discussion section below**

farq 4:50 pm 09 Jul 08

Petsy, I sort of covered that when I said:

As I said, it’s a complex issue.

Pesty 4:25 pm 09 Jul 08

I think there is certainly a case for very limited controlled supply of “Pot” for pain relief, but prolonged recreational use of this too can cause serious mental issues.

farq, after you fill yourself up with whatever drugs you see fit, as its your body! Which non tax payer funded hospital will you be expecting help from when it all goes bad for whatever reason, after all, its non of our (tax payers) business what you do…is it?

dalryk 3:33 pm 09 Jul 08

I don’t know what people have against ‘dealers’, like they’re the devil incarnate or something.

Crime gangs, sure, they’re mostly pure evil; violence, theft and intimidation are all bad, and often these things happen in the context of maintaining their drug empires. But in my time I’ve known lots of people who have been involved with the drug trade, and they were all perfectly normal, mostly decent people looking to make a buck.

I’m sure most people here won’t even contemplate the thought for more than a second, but purely selling a product that people want is not an inherently evil act. It’s all the crap that goes along with it that most people take issue with.

farq 2:10 pm 09 Jul 08

CK: Agreed, it’s hard to have sympathy for dealers, especially the ‘up-stream’ ones making the big $$$.

I’m sort of surprised that we did not already have that law.