Ideas for what Canberra shopping centres do need

Feathergirl 15 December 2008 68

After reading the article “Canberra Retail?” I was thinking of what kind of “shop/idea” would be original and useful in Canberra. What do you think?

I thought it would be nice to have a women’s club/cafe at one of the centres. With a menu full of nice small meals at about $8.00. It would have internet access, a kids area with toys and room at tables for prams.

A quiet room/area with books and magazines that can also be booked for mothers groups, knitting circles, group project get togethers or book clubs would be handy. Also if they could have a healthy take-away dinners menu we could call them at 4:00pm and pick up dinner on the way home from work. I’d also like theme lunch days – I would be in heaven. Mmm pancakes on Mondays or Sushi Thursdays.

Since I’m this is my fantasy I’d also like:

• One of those flame heaters that look like a real fire for winter.
  • Dessert tasting platters.
  • A community notice board.
  • Waitresses that dress-up on special days (nobody wears Easter bonnets anymore!)
  • They could offer cooking classes too.

Men could also attend the women’s club if the wish, but it would be aimed at women, as I just think it’s a neat idea to have somewhere truely homey and comforting to go with the girls. Free to eat slowly, eat lady sized meals, read the trash mags (or RiotACT if you have your laptop of course) and get away from the food court/club dinners crowds.

Tags

68 Responses to Ideas for what Canberra shopping centres do need
1 2 3 4 Next »
harvyk1 harvyk1 3:17 pm 15 Dec 08

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

{cue insecure men and accusations about sexism in five, four, three…oh, you’re here}

Not really. Reverse sexism is completely accepted and will only get worse unless us men say “no, sexism in any form is still sexism”.

And yes, I am against both female only gyms and male only clubs which still exist. If there is a senario where one gender perfers to use a specific service over the other then so be it, but it shouldn’t be policy.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 3:15 pm 15 Dec 08

…and apparently only Mums to be the one who look after the kids during the day. What about the Dads who stay at home looking after the little ones?

I think the underlining tone thathas raised comments is about “exclusion”. These days, it only seems to be women wanting exclusion – not the blokes.

peterh peterh 3:12 pm 15 Dec 08

poptop said :

I don’t recall you all leaping on the PC bandwagon when there have been wildly inappropriate RiotACT posts about the objectivisation of women so let’s not get to precious about playing the discrimination card on this topic. It’s a fantasy.

It is a fantasy, but I think that if some of the malls had a similar concept open to parents and grandparents, where the littlies could be left whilst you were shopping, I would pay money for the privilege to do it. Or if i could enjoy a cappuccino without being badgered for the froth, the sugar or the entire thing, it would make shopping much more enjoyable.

at least they wouldn’t see my evil side come out when trying to get their present. I could have it gift wrapped, in the trolley and they would be none the wiser.

there aren’t these venues yet. But maybe one day…

I hope feathergirl has someone to rub her feet at the end of the day, or rub some body butter into her belly. I saw it as a small price to pay, considering the hell my wife went through the second time around with twins.

pregnancy in summer (it is summer, isn’t it??) is apparently very uncomfortable.

grundy grundy 3:09 pm 15 Dec 08

Was there in April poptop. 😉

And I was serious, I actually did like her idea.
I think Mrs G would really enjoy something like that while I go running around JB/DickSmith/Any other techie/gadget store….

poptop poptop 3:00 pm 15 Dec 08

This poor girl is waddling round heavy with child and probably addled with the hormones racing around her system (I could barely remember how to spell my name, some days) – let’s not chide her for being a little unselective in her language.

What Feathergirl seems to want is a quiet haven within the maelstrom that is mall shopping. It was going to be girly, with dainty meals and comfy chairs and gossipy mags and chocolate and ruffles and gingham (I imagine foot massages too).

Boys are allowed, provided they play nice and don’t expect manly things.

Grundy needs to go to Japan – they have those cosplay cafes!

grundy grundy 2:58 pm 15 Dec 08

Don’t be scared away by the harsh comments Feathergirl. I actually liked your idea!

I’d love a cafe were the waitresses dressed up in manga style maid/nurse/easter bonnet outfits! 😀

Mr_Shab Mr_Shab 2:58 pm 15 Dec 08

My suggested improvements:

Sprog-check: Your foul urchins restrained and sedated for the duration of your shopping trip.
Crowd control: Security personnel with cattle prods to break up any snarls caused by morons congregating in thoroughfares.
Reality: You’re not going to get an 8 buck lunch and take as long as you want yakking with your gal-pals. You’ll have to pay for that privelage, Feathergirl.

trevar trevar 2:56 pm 15 Dec 08

There should just be a men’s cafe as well:

with big armchairs for waiting for the womenfolk to make up their minds what they want, beer on tap, LCDs with Sports playing, and waitresses with themed outfits…

Oh wait… all we really need is to move the shopping centres so that they’re built around a pub!

Fiona Fiona 2:56 pm 15 Dec 08

Agree with you on the kids thing, Roma… I nice place to sit, drink coffee, and not have to deal with children would be lovely.

peterh peterh 2:54 pm 15 Dec 08

sepi, there are a couple of venues targeted at kids and parents. The problem is that all but one are in locations away from shopping.

The ones i know of are:

Fun Factory: Kambah – cafe for a good coffee / food, kids food and large area for play.
Kid’s Rampage: Tuggeranong Square – cafe for a good coffee, kids food and medium sized area for play.
Kid City: Mitchell: cafe for a good coffee / food, kids food and massive area for play.

I cannot remember the name of the one at brand depot, but it is really great. The tour we took was awesome. the kids loved it.

I would prefer a place like these existing ones that caters for parents. not male, not female, but parents. Where you could go to have a cuppa, wear the kids out by letting them run around, leave them if it is an option provided, do the shopping, pick em up and go home.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 2:51 pm 15 Dec 08

I thought it would be nice to have a women’s club/cafe at one of the centres.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one struck by this. I remember back to the not so distant past when there was (was it the Commonwealth Club?) and the rage that women were not allowed in.

But I suppose a little point equalising is conducive to evening out the score, even if it is 15 or 20 years later – with sex equality and all. Will the waitresses need help lifting those heavy cast iron tables and kegs – or just have a couple of hefty German beer maids for the heavy work?

I wouldn’t call it insecure…I’d call it WTF.

justbands justbands 2:47 pm 15 Dec 08

> I love how quickly the men jump to whining about feeling excluded. And yet women who complain about sexist behaviour are dismissed as whingers

Don’t put words into my mouth. I don’t like sexism…whichever way it’s directed.

sepi sepi 2:45 pm 15 Dec 08

OK – I”m now thinking that ‘Bobby McGees’ restaurant under the Lakeside that used to have dressed up waiters who sang to their tables would make a great ‘kiddie theme restaurant’.

sepi sepi 2:43 pm 15 Dec 08

Canberra does desperately need a cafe that is small children friendly.
It is a goldmine waiting to happen for someone to start one up.

I’d have booth seats so the littlies can’t escape. A tiny playground area, highchairs available, kiddie menu (nuggets etc), but also real food for the parents.

Somebody please start one up!!

– I love how quickly the men jump to whining about feeling excluded. And yet women who complain about sexist behaviour are dismissed as whingers. I think this imaginary place is themed primarily for women as it is feathergirl’s own fantasy shop. Feel free to have your own fantasies….

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 2:40 pm 15 Dec 08

peterh peterh 2:37 pm 15 Dec 08

harvyk1 said :

Why aim it at only women? I know you have said that men could also attend the women’s club, but why have gender play any part of the role of the “club”.

Us blokes from time to time also need to go shopping, we hate standing around just as much as the women, and would you believe, us men from time to time also have to look after our small children without the child’s mother there?

When shopping, I find that the parent’s room is a safe haven for other dads. seriously, if you want to try pre-christmas shopping madness with a 3yo and twin 18mo’s bolted into a pram, and no mummy in sight, go right ahead. I did my christmas shopping months ago.

on my own.

A place to go and let the kids run around and around and around whilst you shop is great. Ikea has one. Brand Depot now has one. The other shopping centres should have one as well. This would also solve the littlies at knee height, designed to trip up people who aren’t used to walking with one eye cast down, to avoid toddlers, as mentioned on another earlier post on RA.

and don’t women have the women’s clubs that are built into some of the gyms in the malls around canberra?

where are the men’s clubs?

if there was one, the discrimination champions would be over it like a rash…

harvyk1 harvyk1 2:24 pm 15 Dec 08

justbands justbands 2:11 pm 15 Dec 08

I couldn’t read past “women’s club/cafe” sorry….sexist rubbish.

barking toad barking toad 2:08 pm 15 Dec 08

An excellent idea.

And it should extend to clubs/pubs as in days gone by. Ladies not allowed in the bar (or kids) but they can sit in the Ladies Lounge and sip shandies until the old man needs a lift home.

I’m all for it!

Roma Roma 2:04 pm 15 Dec 08

I vote for the above, minus the kids.

Oh, and minus the waitresses dresseed up. I think waitresses have it hard enough without having to dress up in themey outfits 😉

1 2 3 4 Next »