If you were one of Kostka’s victims its past time to lawyer up

johnboy 1 October 2013 43

The ABC reports on the first compensation case against Marist to have the compensation published:

Now in one of the first cases to be made public, the ACT Supreme Court last month approved the awarding of $135,000 to a victim who claimed the Trustees of the Marist Brothers had breached its duty of care.

Efforts by the brothers to have the matter thrown out as scandalous and embarrassing were dismissed and the ABC understands that the majority of other cases settled for far more money.

43 Responses to If you were one of Kostka’s victims its past time to lawyer up
IrishPete IrishPete 7:25 pm 02 Oct 13

chewy14 said :

johnboy said :

Scouts have had issues no doubt. But nothing like the institutional efforts to protect perpetrators in the catholic church (to my knowledge, I’ll be happy to stand corrected once the royal commission get some real data on it)

The only time in scouts I felt threatened was around older boys from the catholic education system. (anecdotal I know)

But do you think this behaviour is still widespread within the Catholic church and system?

The royal commission should give some answers but from what I’ve seen most of these cases are decades old. I went through the Catholic system after these times and never once felt threatened by any of the religious people or staff. Maybe they went on but I never got the slightest inkling of it if it was.

It would not surprise me one jot, if it was the case. Cases are decades old because the children often don’t report it until they are adults (if they ever do). And sometimes mature adults, like in their 30s, 40s or 50s.

The Aaron Holliday case in the Scouts was not very long ago.

IP

milkman milkman 5:33 pm 02 Oct 13

johnboy said :

Well no.

If you were a pedo and there was a respected public institution with a track record of protecting your kind AND presenting easy prey do you think you might make a beeline to it?

You mean join the catholic church explictly for the purpose of seeking out victims in the hope that the institution would protect you?

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 4:56 pm 02 Oct 13

Roundhead89 said :

Deref said :

steveu said :

Remove the benevolent institution status from the church. Make them pay tax. That’s a start.

Hear, hear.

Does anyone know the truth and/or details of this?

Reminds me how the Baptist Church started a company called Turf the Lot which was in competition with Canturf. Because the Baptist Church was a religious institution they were tax exempt and were able to undercut Canturf’s prices considerably. I remember a story on the old 7:30 Report where the boss of Canturf said “I can compete with another company but I can’t compete with God”.

Same with alltek. Exclusive brethren assholes are tax exempt so they drop their gst from tenders and easily get all the work.

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 2:37 pm 02 Oct 13

Robertson said :

chewy14 said :

Until all those who were responsible for the cover-ups, for protecting the perpetrators, and for instigating aggressive legal maneuvers against the victims are exposed, punished, and kicked out of the Catholic hierarchy, then you can’t say the situation is in the past.

+1. There are definitely questions to be answered. In some ways I think the cover ups are actually worse than the pedos themselves.

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 2:36 pm 02 Oct 13

johnboy said :

You don’t think that a record of covering pedophilia up would lead to an influx of pedos?

I doubt it, as I suspect that most don’t think they’ll ever be caught. And if pedo’s had been successfully covered up in the past, how would other pedos know about it anyway?

It’s also worth noting that there are an awful lot of catholics who hate this just as much as the rest of us. Although there’s been cover ups in the past, I doubt it would happen to anything like the same level today.

Robertson Robertson 2:30 pm 02 Oct 13

chewy14 said :

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 2:16 pm 02 Oct 13

johnboy said :

I agree the catholic church has a bloody poor record of covering things up, but I don’t think that, as an organisation, they necessarily had a greater proportion of paedo’s than the general population.

Hopefully the royal commission will get to the roots of this stuff and make real improvements in professional standards in such organisations.

johnboy johnboy 2:33 pm 02 Oct 13

chewy14 chewy14 1:13 pm 02 Oct 13

johnboy said :

The Canberra cases are talking about the 90s, hardly ancient history.

Wasn’t this guy found guilty of cases up to 1989? Either way, its still 20 odd years ago, not ancient history but not recent either. Maybe more will come out, who knows.

chewy14 chewy14 11:58 am 02 Oct 13

johnboy said :

johnboy johnboy 12:53 pm 02 Oct 13

The Canberra cases are talking about the 90s, hardly ancient history.

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 11:36 am 02 Oct 13

johnboy said :

Well no.

You mean like Scouts?

johnboy johnboy 11:41 am 02 Oct 13

angrymonkey angrymonkey 11:16 am 02 Oct 13

I wonder if he is still living in the Catholic owned and run ‘apartment’ complex in the inner-north, wedged between two primary schools, he was put in when he was released from AMC. The residents and their visiting families had no idea of the wolf in their midst.

IrishPete IrishPete 10:56 am 02 Oct 13

Roundhead89 said :

Deref said :

steveu said :

Hear, hear.

Does anyone know the truth and/or details of this?

The Local Government association of NSW (LGNSW) recently released a report which amongst other things noted how churches, schools etc take advantage of their status. For example, a private school might buy a property next door, which then becomes rates-exempt, and rent it out, or operate a business from it, (not that they aren’t already operating a business, but that’s a different argument) with a significant cost advantage over competitors

IP

IrishPete IrishPete 10:53 am 02 Oct 13

Deref said :

steveu said :

Hear, hear.

I heard that the Catholic Church is given a special standing by the Australian Government which makes them immune to civil or criminal litigation. That would explain why it’s the Trustees who are being sued rather than the church itself and why paedophilia cases against the CC are settled through ex gratia (no pun intended) payments rather than court-awarded damages. It might also explain why no-one in the church has been gaoled for protecting these paedophiles.

Does anyone know the truth and/or details of this?

Something to do with the way their assets are held. I don’t think it has much to do with the government.

IP

Roundhead89 Roundhead89 10:13 am 02 Oct 13

Deref said :

steveu said :

Hear, hear.

Does anyone know the truth and/or details of this?

thebrownstreak69 thebrownstreak69 9:34 am 02 Oct 13

LSWCHP said :

No catholic priest or other functionary, from the pope on down, will ever be allowed near any of my children without supervision.

Note that I deliberately use a small “c” for catholic, and a small “p” for pope, to show my utter lack of regard for the whole crew.

These people are disgraced. The best thing that most of them could do to obtain some redemption is to withdraw quietly to the wardroom with a revolver and and a single bullet.

Just be careful. Paedophiles are likely just as present in the secular world. You wouldn’t want you dislike of an institution to blind you to the possibility of it happening elsewhere. Protecting kids is priority number one.

johnboy johnboy 9:52 am 02 Oct 13

Well no.

Deref Deref 8:29 am 02 Oct 13

steveu said :

Hear, hear.

Does anyone know the truth and/or details of this?

Kayem Kayem 10:46 pm 01 Oct 13

I studied under Kostka at the time these crimes were perpetrated. I saw him as a mentor. He used to drive me home after extra curricular activities when my father was away on business. There were rumours about this awful activity at the time rife in the student body. But nothing untowards ever happened to me.

So when this all started to come out over the last few years, as a grown man I wept. I literally wept at all the deception and the lies that had been built around my education. I wept for the pain and suffering that was surrounding me while I was ignorant or fooled. I wept for the colleagues I did not know needed help. And I remembered the bullying amongst students that reflected the institutional culture that allowed Kostka’s crimes to go unremarked and buried for so long.

I know the school has done a lot to try and clear its name, but it has also done a lot to cover up everything and, as earlier posters have noted, this is very bad form.

For the record, all my kids have gone to public school because I would not put them near a catholic school after my experience of Marist – but that’s just an anecdote.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 9:59 pm 01 Oct 13

steveu steveu 8:05 pm 01 Oct 13

How a multi billion dollar organisation with a position of trust in the community can cover this up is unforgivable.

OpenYourMind OpenYourMind 5:32 pm 01 Oct 13

While some of Kostka’s actions were in the distant past, the more recent and despicable way Marist Bros and the Catholic church acted is unforgiveable. The victims of Kostka struggle to this day with what went on at Marist.
Pedophiles are one thing, an institution covering up activity and fighting against the victims takes it to a whole new level.

The Catholic Church doesn’t act like your average organised pedophile ring. They are far more organised than those amateurs!