Illegal Dumping

Matthew 24 January 2008 122

We all are victims of illegal dumping, whether you have hired a skip yourself and found it full by the time you got home from work, or just the bags of rubbish blowing throughout the bush. Some of us even see the illegal dumping in our waterways and the sea itself.

Today however an illegal dumper got caught, the photo’s are here:

The culprit.

The rubbish.

The act itself.

The rego.

The wife and dog.

[Ed – Matthew even sent in an image of an address on one of the packages dumped, which we have decided not to run. Does anyone know who you contact if you have a complaint regarding illegal dumping? Matthew have you done this or are you happy just to shame them on Riot?]

122 Responses to Illegal Dumping
1 2 3 7 Next »
Mælinar Mælinar 4:10 pm 24 Jan 08

Be careful about the home delivery option – they may remember where they dumped it and pay a return visit.

Sands Sands 3:54 pm 24 Jan 08

where was this?

toriness toriness 3:50 pm 24 Jan 08

maelinar – a home delivery of sorts, yes 🙂

Matthew Matthew 2:45 pm 24 Jan 08

I’m happy to shame them, though I did post the rego sticker and plate picture to ACT Roads asking “is this out of date” ;-). You might also have spotted that the vehicle is LPG equipped – something that also needs testing each year at rego time…

philbert83au philbert83au 2:14 pm 24 Jan 08

While we’re on the topic, I’m just about ropable (but without photographic evidence) that just after the council last week removed the huge pile of junk that seemed to automatically grow after a single lounge was dumped in my quaint NSW border-town neighbourhood, some bugger goes and dumps more stuff in the same place.

PS If anyone wants a PS/2 keyboard or telephone handset, someone has left about 30 of them cnr Mowatt & Truncullo in Quangers so help yourself.

barney barney 2:06 pm 24 Jan 08

Boy you are something special. Posting rego plates etc. You should get a life and stop being such a nosey d*ckhead. Sure somebody did something bad, does that give you the right to attempt to shame them. Perhaps you already have a job on ACA.

GET A LIFE.

Swaggie Swaggie 2:04 pm 24 Jan 08

They may be high Ralph, I paid $8 to dump a trunk full of stuff at Christmas but I still did it, I’m not sure what gives this guy the right to dump insomeone else’s skip because he thinks charges are too high.

Looking the wife and Dog and eventually deciding the wife was the one on the right I kind feel sorry for the guy….

Mælinar Mælinar 1:59 pm 24 Jan 08

arrange home delivery ?

toriness toriness 1:58 pm 24 Jan 08

what a mental patient to illegally dump stuff including an envelope with his home address on the it! i know what i’d do if it was my skip…

Jonathon Reynolds Jonathon Reynolds 1:46 pm 24 Jan 08

For serviceable/usable items I’d suggest using Freecycle:

The worldwide (!) Freecycle(TM) Network is made up of many individual groups across the globe. It’s a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. Each local group is run by a local volunteer moderator (them’s good people). Membership is free.

I had 2x two-seater couches on Freecycle (via a friend) for less than 24 hours before they were snapped up.

On the matter of the Salvos: I have offered (taken to the shopfront during business hours) what I have thought were perfectly good and serviceable household/kitchen items on a number of occasions only to be told they were not interested in them.

bd84 bd84 1:33 pm 24 Jan 08

you could also report him for driving an unregistered vehichle.. looks like the rego sticker is a bit out of date 😉

Ralph Ralph 1:28 pm 24 Jan 08

I don’t see why this is supposed to be ‘illegal dumping’ they were putting it into a skip.

At least it hasn’t ended up in the bush somewhere.

This is another indicator that waste disposal charges are too high.

hingo hingo 1:23 pm 24 Jan 08

LOL @ neanderthalsis

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 1:16 pm 24 Jan 08

He should have completed the dumping job and got rid of the car, dog and wife in the process…

farout farout 1:13 pm 24 Jan 08

But of course you can see it on page 3 of Matthew’s Photo Gallery.

caf caf 1:11 pm 24 Jan 08

I’ve found the “leave it on the curb” method a reasonably reliable way to be rid of unwanted-but-serviceable furniture – even got rid of an old mattress that way.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 1:11 pm 24 Jan 08

They were putting it in a skip, so I don’t think TAMS would do much to chase them.
I know when I worked in Phillip and we had a huge skip random people from all across Woden would come and put whatever they could into it (lawn clippings, fire hoses, children’s toys, old computers and chairs…) and then we’d get told off by TAMS that we had to keep our waste ‘below the top of the skip and off public land’.

Re: Illegal Dumping from TAMS

Littering Offences
The City Rangers investigate any matter relating to any littering offences or illegal dumping incidents on unleased land.

depositing of litter in or on a public place
depositing of litter that is likely to cause an injury to persons or damage to property in or on a public place
transporting refuse or waste and failing to arrange, contain, fasten or cover it so as to prevent any part of the load from falling or being blown from the vehicle
depositing of commercial and garden waste in or on a public place
occupier of commercial premises failing to take reasonable steps to prevent litter from the premises being deposited in or on a public place
depositing or abandoning a dangerous container in a public place or public tip
placing advertising leaflets ets., in or on a motor vehicle in a public place
Canberra Urban Parks and Places organise the cleaning up of litter on unleased land.

Contact Details
Contact Number
(02) 6207 7132

Facsimile
(02) 6207 7133

city.rangers@act.gov.au

tuggers tuggers 1:09 pm 24 Jan 08

Did you report this to the City Rangers?

Joe Canberran Joe Canberran 1:07 pm 24 Jan 08

Old lounge? give it to the salvos, sell it to a second hand dealer or pay a couple of bucks and take it to the tip.

Don’t leave it on the curb as no one will take it. Put a price tag on it though and someone will pinch it 😉

hingo hingo 1:02 pm 24 Jan 08

This appears to be one for A Current Affair or Today Tonight. I know it sucks if you are the one who hired the skip and someone else has used it, but it could be worse, he could have dumped it on the street or out in a forest. I am going to buy a new lounge soon and I have no idea what to do with the old one. The best solution I have so far is to dump it out on the kerb and hope someone takes it away. Its still a decent lounge and I’m sure someone would want it. Put a price tag on it and it will get stolen – even better!

1 2 3 7 Next »