A man has been extradited from Queensland over allegations he committed an act of indecency over 25 years ago on a girl aged about 10.
The Australian Federal Police allege the incident took place at a residence in Canberra in the mid-1990s.
The now 55-year-old, who lives in Ipswich, was served a summons in relation to the charge of committing an act of indecency on a child but failed to appear before the court.
With the help of the Queensland Police Service, the man was arrested in Ipswich and investigators with the ACT Policing Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Team extradited him to Canberra.
He did not apply for bail when he appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Friday, 19 March.
Chief Magistrate Lorraine Walker said the act of indecency allegedly took place in Canberra between August 1995 and January 1998, when the complainant was aged between eight and 10.
She also said the man had been charged with negligent and dangerous driving, which allegedly occurred in 1999.
The man’s lawyer, Elizabeth West, said not guilty pleas would be entered to the indecency charge as well as two counts of failing to appear after a bail undertaking, and that representations would be made to the prosecution on the latter charges.
Chief Magistrate Walker said, given the delay in processing the driving charges, there would be no harm in continuing them to the same date as the other charges and remanded the man in custody with his matter to be heard in court again in late April.
The man, who was appearing over audio-visual link, nodded and said “no worries” before the hearing ended.