News

Fly direct from
Canberra to New Zealand

Is it Idiot Week on the roads?

By aevans - 1 November 2012 190

Is there some sort of driving Idiots convention going on in Canberra at the moment?

I’ve seen 8 P-Plate morons (all different ones) speeding around at about 20 km/h above traffic flow (way above the speed limit); two of them were red plates and three either almost rear-ended someone or swerved across traffic in a dangerous way.

The icing on the cake was some drugged-out tradie in a van that couldn’t keep his lane, stalled the van at some traffic lights, and generally shouldn’t have been on the road.

When I watch this I really wonder what good those stationary white vans do for the community when there are all these morons ripe for the picking.

What’s Your opinion?

190 Responses to
Is it Idiot Week on the roads?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
EvanJames 10:57 pm 03 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Hey know, don’t you know that’s not only dangerous but also illegal? You are not allowed in the right hand lane unless its to speed or tailgate.

Winning comment!

Ever noticed how tailgaters indicate constantly? It’s weird but true.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 10:02 pm 03 Nov 12

Felix the Cat said :

I like the mental midgets that commute to Civic on Belconnen Way/Barry Dr and stay in the left lane until ANU Exchange before they try push their way into the right lane to turn into Marcus Clarke St. How about using some brain power and move to the right lane earlier (maybe before you get to Clunies Ross St CSIRO/ANU intersection) when the traffic isn’t all banked up because of the roadworks.

Felix the Cat 6:50 pm 03 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 5:38 pm 03 Nov 12

milkman said :

What does everyone think seems to be the bigger and more dangerous issue here:

Legally doing the speed limit in the left/middle/right lane

Or

Illegally speeding in the left/middle/right lane and illegally tailgating peeps

Pretty basic stuff. One option is the safe, legal and correct thing to do, the other option is dangerous, illegal and dumb thing to do.

Choose but choose wisely or forever out yourself as small brain, small donger and total self important cretin that thinks other people’s safety and the law do not apply to them.

Keep left unless overtaking (as is the law on most parts of the Monaro) and it will never be an issue.

Again, where did I say this is exclusively a right hand lane problem?

Also are you saying its justifiable to tail gate someone just because they are in the right hand lane?

Does it magically become safe to tailgate if its right hand lane only?

milkman 4:38 pm 03 Nov 12

What does everyone think seems to be the bigger and more dangerous issue here:

Legally doing the speed limit in the left/middle/right lane

Or

Illegally speeding in the left/middle/right lane and illegally tailgating peeps

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 1:34 pm 03 Nov 12

DrKoresh said :

I think it’s jim jones who phrases it best in threads like these.

IM A MOTORIST GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!

DrKoresh 1:25 pm 03 Nov 12

Why is everyone who is ripping into CGN forgetting that tailgating is also illegal? Also, a lot of these same people who insist you should almost never be in the right lane seem to be trying to get other people to keep left so they can power on through in the right lane. I should make the point that speeding in the right lane isn’t the same as overtaking and that the right-lane isn’t there for people to drive as fast as they damn well please, which some of you folk seem to think. Bloody hypocrites.

Pork Hunt 12:22 pm 03 Nov 12

What does everyone think seems to be the bigger and more dangerous issue here:

Legally doing the speed limit in the left/middle/right lane

Or

Illegally speeding in the left/middle/right lane and illegally tailgating peeps

I’d like to out myself but don’t have a small brain or donger. Can we haggle?

maxblues 11:21 am 03 Nov 12

‘Keep Left Unless Overtaking’ applies in every state and territory, however the level of enforcement varies considerably between jurisdictions, leading to a little bit of confusion and a lot of privilege taking.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 10:56 am 03 Nov 12

What does everyone think seems to be the bigger and more dangerous issue here:

Legally doing the speed limit in the left/middle/right lane

Or

Illegally speeding in the left/middle/right lane and illegally tailgating peeps

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 8:14 am 03 Nov 12

KB1971 said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

As quoted in the ACT Road Rules handbook (Road Rules 2011 Part D1 – Road Craft)

Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

This rule applies on a multi-lane road where:
• the speed-limit is over 80 km/h; OR
• a keep left unless overtaking sign applies.

I don’t see the term fast lane there :/

Nor do I see the term you are a dick for doing the speed limit there :/

I actually don’t remember you saying you did it in the right hand lane?

Good point! I don’t think I did. But I do it in whatever lane I am currently in that some halfwit decides its a good idea to tail gate me.

And yeah, the dicks that don’t let people into there lanes are almost as bad as tailgaters. What difference is it going to make tolet someone in front of you who will more than likely be getting off the road soon? Depending on time of day, I will happily sit in the right lane for the entire trip if I need to eventually turn right. Then I don’t have to fight morons to let me in so I can exit.

tuco 7:55 am 03 Nov 12

Aeek said :

KB1971 said :

I actually don’t remember you saying you did it in the right hand lane?

Tailgaters getting aggro rather than legally(just be careful) overtaking in the left hand lane should be worth bonus points.

Plus, it’s a great addition to Canberra driving bingo.
* White commodore going sideways.
* Hyundai hatchback with frangipani stickers.
* Guy slowing, slowing, slowing in the right hand lane shouting That’ll learn ya all!”

milkman 7:37 am 03 Nov 12

It’s interesting that at a couple of places on the Monaro Hwy (where Lanyon Drive merges in, and where the Newcastle St traffic merges in) people are surprisingly sensible and move over to let the traffic merge in smoothly, yet at the form one lane at the airport end of the Monaro Hwy heading south everyone rushes up to merge point and jostles to get ahead.

Does it really matter if someeone merges in front of you? Put some music on and calm down a bit.

wildturkeycanoe 7:05 am 03 Nov 12

rhino said :

460cixy said :

Reminds me of almost everyday that I get tailgated and I just keep on slowing down until they stop doing it. Slowest I have got to is 30 in a 80 zone(hindmarsh stretch up the hill). Peeps soon learn not to tail gate this way.

And again you prove your an a grade dick

Explain.

Easy to explain. You are being an A-grade dick by slowing down to 30kph in an 80kph zone to be spiteful of someone who wanted to go fast in the fast lane while you were going slow in the fast lane. That is down right dangerous. It’s common for people to be going 20 over in the fast lane and you are going 50kph under. That’s a 70kph difference mostly attribuatable to your own arrogance and very likely to cause a collision if there is not a decent line of sight ahead on the road for some reason.

No Einstein, doing the speed limit in the right lane is not going slow. In fact it’s being safe to slow down if someone is tailgating you. It’s going to lessen the impact of any collision the tailgater may cause.

Btw, there is no such thing as a *fast lane* in this town.

KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING – Don’t you read the signs, big ones, black and white. If your speedo indicates 80 but is out by 5%, you might only be doing 76, the car tailgating you may have larger radius tyres making their speedo indicate that they are only traveling at 70km/h. Whilst you defiantly slow down, not obeying the road signs, they out of pure righteousness keep at you for being a tool. Then the dozen cars behind them get frustrated at the blocked right hand lane, merge left into a stream of 80km/h traffic, slowing down that lane as well. All of a sudden, the whole roadway is in chaos thanks to the dimwit that can’t read or is too egotistical to follow the rules.

goggles13 6:21 am 03 Nov 12

yet another idiot driver thread.

love these

sadly nothing’s going to change until driver education changes – not simply having a test of your ability to parallel park and do a hill start as is the case at the moment.

also, nothing will change until a government rejects the passive approach to road safety, and takes a more active approach – more visible police presence on the roads and enforcement of real bad driver behaviour. of course this will never happen as government’s are addicted to the revenue from passive road safety enforcement.

bottom line, we will have to put up with idiots on the road for the rest of our lives because that’s what the government has forced upon us.

Chello 11:31 pm 02 Nov 12

Reminds me of this time when this idiot in a grey ute (with the southern cross tattooed on his left arm), going north on the GDE,who purposely moved into the right hand lane in front of me when I was going to overtake and then just sat there next to the person in the left lane – for a while till the person in the left lane slowed down after realising what the d#*k was doing next to her!

Never encountered such a blatant act of arseholism!!

Aeek 11:15 pm 02 Nov 12

KB1971 said :

I actually don’t remember you saying you did it in the right hand lane?

KB1971 11:04 pm 02 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

As quoted in the ACT Road Rules handbook (Road Rules 2011 Part D1 – Road Craft)

Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

This rule applies on a multi-lane road where:
• the speed-limit is over 80 km/h; OR
• a keep left unless overtaking sign applies.

I don’t see the term fast lane there :/

Nor do I see the term you are a dick for doing the speed limit there :/

I actually don’t remember you saying you did it in the right hand lane?

KB1971 11:00 pm 02 Nov 12

To the bloke in the blue VW Golf.

If you see someone in front of you that want to cross lanes, has his indicator on and has the room to do it, you are supposed to give way.

Not speed up, dive into the far right lane to speed past & nearly cause an accident.

You are lucky I was not in my older Nissan Patrol as I probably would not have yielded left as you pushed past me to be in the same place at the lights on London Circuit if you had just stayed behind.

I have to say it was the farktard act of the week in a motor vehicle apart from the P plater speeding past a cop car on Dairy Flat 15 minutes beforehand.

Friday farkwits?

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 10:36 pm 02 Nov 12

steele_blade said :

steele_blade said :

rhino said :

460cixy said :

And again you prove your an a grade dick

Explain.

Btw, there is no such thing as a *fast lane* in this town.

“fast lane” – Yes there is. If the speed limit is over 80, everybody should be in the left lane unless overtaking. That covers GDE, Parkway, Monaro Hwy. And I agree with the others about you being an A grade dick. Only I won’t fall for your trolling and explain why.

steele_blade said :

rhino said :

460cixy said :

And again you prove your an a grade dick

Explain.

Btw, there is no such thing as a *fast lane* in this town.

What part of doing the speed limit do you not understand?
Also can you show me any actual documentation referring to fast lanes?
And by your definition, turning right off the roads you mentioned is illegal. :/

As quoted in the ACT Road Rules handbook (Road Rules 2011 Part D1 – Road Craft)

Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

This rule applies on a multi-lane road where:
• the speed-limit is over 80 km/h; OR
• a keep left unless overtaking sign applies.

I don’t see the term fast lane there :/