News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Is it Idiot Week on the roads?

By aevans - 1 November 2012 190

Is there some sort of driving Idiots convention going on in Canberra at the moment?

I’ve seen 8 P-Plate morons (all different ones) speeding around at about 20 km/h above traffic flow (way above the speed limit); two of them were red plates and three either almost rear-ended someone or swerved across traffic in a dangerous way.

The icing on the cake was some drugged-out tradie in a van that couldn’t keep his lane, stalled the van at some traffic lights, and generally shouldn’t have been on the road.

When I watch this I really wonder what good those stationary white vans do for the community when there are all these morons ripe for the picking.

What’s Your opinion?

190 Responses to
Is it Idiot Week on the roads?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
what_the 8:53 am 30 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

rhino said :

How do you gather it is helping your safety? They will get even closer if you slow down. And then you become a dangerous obstacle for others.

You could just steer left and all well be well in both people’s worlds. No need to be pissing them off. Even if you pretend you aren’t doing it deliberately, you must be aware that that is what you are doing. If not, you have now been informed.

It’s way safer to be hit from behind at a lower speed than a faster speed.

How about not being hit in the first place by putting yourself in danger of getting hit in the first place? Acting as a rolling road block by intentionally slowing down is not safe. You’re doing it to piss the person behind you off which in turn pisses the people off behind them and has a domino effect of slowing traffic behind. So lets not pretend its about safety and just be honest about it.

farq 8:36 am 30 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

When peeps tailgate me, it inconveinences me as I have to slow down for my own safety. By your own logic I’m doing the right thing then you say it’s the wrong thing.
Also when have I ever said I cut anyone off???

CGN, you trolling is of poor quality. Either that or you are quite stupid. Nothing you said is logical.

MonarchRepublic 9:05 pm 29 Nov 12

Solidarity said :

Pitchka said :

Solidarity said :

I’ve never been tail-gated.

Nobody else can keep up….

Till now bro, lets meet up bro, tell me a time and place bro, nothing can out run my worked RB26DETT!

More than you can afford pal,

Ferrari

‘smoke him’

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 8:44 pm 29 Nov 12

milkman said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

rhino said :

JC said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

farq said :

I work with somebody who like CGN, likes to be an ass and block the overtaking lane (A Divine Righter). Last year he did it to wrong person and ended up being dragged out of his car at the lights and getting a fat lip and black eye for his troubles.

I’m not suprised. If you go around pissing people off on purpose, one day you will encounter someone who likes to solves things with violence.

I dont believe that anyone is going to get violent with me just for being safe.

Its not about pissing peeps of either, its about safety.

Being safe is one thing, but going out of your way to piss others off to make a point is another. Take for example my post above where I was overtaking a car before a merge. At the speeds we were going what I was doing would have been 100% safe and I would have made it through the merge without effecting the other vehicle in any way shape or form. But Mr Safe doing 70km/h in the right hand lane decided that speeding up to piss me off was a good way to teach me a lesson.

Exactly. Some people get all self righteous and forget that the world works better with being considerate and thinking about what inconveniences others. That’s the main thing that matters, above anything else. Laws change, consideration and common sense doesn’t. I’m sure CGN probably would have cut someone off on the GDE going 82 last year in the right hand lane when the speed limit was 80 and he was going 78 and he would have felt self righteous and justified by the number on the sign. Shortly later, even the government decided that 90kph was perfectly safe on that road. So that would make his idea of himself as a high and mighty upholder of safety fairly invalid.

Also when have I ever said I cut anyone off???

My arse your slowing down for safety, you’re doing it to get back at the person behind you. If it was about safety you’d move oveer into the left lane.

No I probably need to turn right at some point. That’s the only time I’m in the right lane.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 8:42 pm 29 Nov 12

rhino said :

It’s way safer to be hit from behind at a lower speed than a faster speed.

JC 8:21 pm 29 Nov 12

milkman said :

Very true and if the left lane is indeed free then than law or no law that is the safest and most courtesy place to be driving.

milkman 8:01 pm 29 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

rhino said :

JC said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

farq said :

I dont believe that anyone is going to get violent with me just for being safe.

Its not about pissing peeps of either, its about safety.

Also when have I ever said I cut anyone off???

bundah 5:45 pm 29 Nov 12

@ Comic Nerd

We’ve got plenty of Autobarns here but bugger all autobahns

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 5:41 pm 29 Nov 12

rhino said :

JC said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

farq said :

I dont believe that anyone is going to get violent with me just for being safe.

Its not about pissing peeps of either, its about safety.

Also when have I ever said I cut anyone off???

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 5:35 pm 29 Nov 12

rhino said :

Slowing down to stop a tailgater tailgating is far less dangerous than tailgating.

Slowing down to 30kph in the right hand lane to stop a tailgater? Has that ever worked? Never would a tailgater stop tailgating because you slowed down, you would simply antagonise them further and they will tailgate even more. And going down to 30kph in the right lane is incredibly dangerous. If you had to brake and the tailgater was behind you, in the worst case he might run into the back of you if you suddenly hit the brakes. In this circumstance, you would be going the same speed and the collision would just have the velocity of the difference between your braking deceleration, which wouldn’t be that much compared to someone going possibly up to 70kph faster than you and you your tailgater suddenly appearing in his windscreen very quickly. I know which accident I’d rather have. So I don’t see how you can say this is “far less dangerous” when it seems easily as dangerous from any reasonable point of view and I’d say far more dangerous really, due to the speed difference between yourself and others. That is why on the autobahn they have different speeds in different lanes, because having someone go slow in the right lane and quickly come up behind someone going slow is dangerous. When you think about it, the difference in speed is equivalent to someone jumping out in front of a car standing still at some normal road greater than suburban road speeds.

Firstly, we do not have auto barns.

Second, only once have I gone down to 30 kms. They would not stop tailgating so I kept going slower. Most times I only have to go like 10 or 15 kms slower and they get the idea.
Thirdly, no, it’s always stopped them from tailgating. Not once have they not backed off. If they get angry because I don’t allow them to break the law, then it’s there problem, not mine .

rhino 5:27 pm 29 Nov 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 5:09 pm 29 Nov 12

JC said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

farq said :

I dont believe that anyone is going to get violent with me just for being safe.

Its not about pissing peeps of either, its about safety.

When did I ever say I do it to piss peeps off? I do it for my own safety.

Mr Gillespie 4:52 pm 29 Nov 12

Pitchka said :

Madam Cholet said :

…….Finally, where do I get a bumber for my car?

Buts its okay to drive like a moron if you have another adult (say 18 years and over) in the car, because there life is not important?

Nice….
Here is your bumper sticker.. http://www.allthingsdemocrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Im-Stupid1.jpg

How does a bumper sticker meant to say “Hotlinking is bad, please save this on your blog”? Is this some sort of trick some website somewhere is pulling on you?

Pork Hunt 4:19 pm 29 Nov 12

Spiral said :

Jim Jones said :

Spiral said :

I’m not justifying speeding or rude driving

Yes you are.

You’ve overbooked your daughter with activities, that’s a sh1thouse reason for frantic driving.

And where did I say I was driving frantically?

Just because I’m not speeding and not tailgating doesn’t mean that I’m not in a hurry and not pissed off with someone driving 10kph below the limit on a good bit of road in reasonable traffic conditions in a modern car.

Yes I’m in a hurry, but I’m not driving frantically.

I’m with you Spiral. Now get up #108 as well.

devils_advocate 3:41 pm 29 Nov 12

Pitchka said :

Weaksauce. Nobody rocks a 2.6 bottom end any more. RB31dett FTW.

rhino 3:10 pm 29 Nov 12

Pitchka said :

Solidarity said :

I’ve never been tail-gated.

Nobody else can keep up….

What mods u got?

RadioVK 3:10 pm 29 Nov 12

Pitchka said :

Madam Cholet said :

Nothing sh1ts me more though than seeing people with children in their cars and driving like complete morons. If you get pulled over for moronic driving (I think that’s the official charge), and you have a minor in the car with you then the penalty should automatically increase for being a double moron for passing on your bad habits, and of course endangering a minor.

Finally, where do I get a bumber for my car?

Nice….

Adults have the option of not getting on the car in the first place. An option that is generally not available to children.

That’s why “endangering a minor” is a separate criminal offence.

rhino 3:04 pm 29 Nov 12

Jim Jones said :

Spiral said :

Yes I’m in a hurry, but I’m not driving frantically.

That’s nice! My apologies.

I suppose I interpreted otherwise because of the ‘I’m late for stuff and people are driving slightly under the speed limit’ thing.

To be honest, slowing down 10kph isn’t going to make jack difference to amount of time it takes to get anywhere in Canberra.

It does. 90 instead of 100kph will be 10% slower, which could make several minutes difference. For some, this may not matter, for others this could be crucial. So it’s fair to keep left to alleviate the stress of others, it won’t be any inconvenience to do so if you aren’t in a hurry.

Solidarity 3:00 pm 29 Nov 12

Pitchka said :

Solidarity said :

I’ve never been tail-gated.

Nobody else can keep up….

More than you can afford pal,

Ferrari

MightyJoe 2:45 pm 29 Nov 12

What i think he;s trying to say is if the sign says 80km/h be considerate and do the speed limit. (not just for speeders, but for people who like driving way under it.

This type of action causes more problems (imo) than speeding (85 in an 80 zones etc). people doing 20km/h less than the posted limit are an accident waiting to happen.. as they are the type of people to say / write all those tail gaters in Canberra… no, we’re not tail gating, we’re hopnig you actually speed up to the speed limit.

Rather than tail gate, I have found a sure way of getting serial under-speeders to speed up to the limit. flash them a few times and they get the message (if they’re paying attention whilst talking on the phone that is).

sorry, rant over.