Is this for real? Paying for disability parking at Canberra Airport

Ggreg 28 April 2011 61

From the Canberra Airport website:

DISABLED PARKING

A number of designated disabled car park spaces are conveniently located in the airport car parks. To access these parking spaces, enter the car park via the boom-gate and take a ticket from the machine as you would normally.

Upon leaving the terminal you will need to pay for parking at the pay machines before returning to your vehicle. Our pay machines have been specifically designed to enable people in wheelchairs to access them with ease. If you experience any difficulties with the ticket or pay machines, press the help button and a member of staff will come to your assistance.

[my emphasis]

61 Responses to Is this for real? Paying for disability parking at Canberra Airport
Thumper Thumper 6:44 pm 28 Apr 11

What are you? Some kind of commie? Jim Snow paid good money to the Liberal Party for that airport, and now he’s kind enough to make sure that his pay stations are wheelchair-friendly and all you can do is carp. The man’s a saint. A SAINT I tell you!

Geez bloke, did the liberal party kill your cat or something?

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 6:50 pm 28 Apr 11

Deref said :

Gold!

vg vg 8:35 pm 28 Apr 11

“I wonder if the AFP that books people in arrivals, also wander upto the carpark to book people parked illegally?”

Might need to get your facts straight as you’re wrong about the AFP once again. CAG has its own parking marshals that deal with those issues

EvanJames EvanJames 9:11 pm 28 Apr 11

Thumper said :

Geez bloke, did the liberal party kill your cat or something?

I can’t believe that you don’t realise he’s a SAINT! He’s going to bring wealth and 24 hour a day flights to Canberra! And OVER Canberra. And he’s letting disabled people help the cause by making it easy for them to put their money in the machines! He’s a goddam SAINT you understand?

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 9:20 pm 28 Apr 11

Thumper said :

Geez bloke, did the liberal party kill your cat or something?

No, but the Labor party wants to.

bd84 bd84 10:34 pm 28 Apr 11

The horror! Having to pay for parking like everyone else, poor sods..

I don’t see why the government allows disabled drivers to park in most car parks for free all day. They should be treated with the same timed parking fees as all other users. Fair enough to allow space for disabled drivers close to entries etc, but there is no reason for them to be exempt from paying. It’s a just a politically correct concession to allow people to have a false sense of being nice.

jasmine jasmine 11:14 pm 28 Apr 11

Why does anyne have to pay for parking at the airport? That is the real question. Airports used to be about people being dropped off or picked up from planes. Now as someone once put it, airports have become nothing more than retail malls with runways.

In my utopia parking would be free. Parking is what you need to do to go to work, do your shopping and got to the movies (among many other things). Why do you need to pay to simply park your car? It beats me. If you have a disability you don’t have the option of using public transport. The only way to beat the profiteers at their own game is not to use the facilities. Consumer power is strong but we never use it often enough and we pay the price.

Mr Lubberlubber Mr Lubberlubber 11:19 pm 28 Apr 11

Paying standard rates for disabled spaces in prime locations and almost guaranteed availability sounds pretty fair to me.

I use quite a few airports and they are all out to get you with their parking fees. It’s one of the more stable and significant cashflows at the Airport now (obviously including the car pars servicing all the offices).

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that they offer ten minutes free parking for pick-ups the other day and didn’t know Sydney has 15 minutes as I use cabs or rental cars there. You would need at least five minutes more to get where you need to go at Sydney airport.

It’s really not that far to walk from being undercover at Canberra Airport. I just wonder what the final arrangement will be when everything is finished as it changes every week.

Deref Deref 7:02 am 29 Apr 11

jasmine said :

Like it or not we live in a city that was designed around private transport. Low density, the “town centre” design and urban green belts mean that public transport will always be impractical, prohibitively expensive or both. Despite the grubbyment’s and the developers’ best efforts to fill all the green space with hideous blocks of flats and to reduce block sizes to a few centimetres, we’re not Sydney yet. Until we are we’ll need adequate roads and adequate parking.

ConanOfCooma ConanOfCooma 8:06 am 29 Apr 11

Am I missing something? Do disabled people normally get everything for free, or seomthing? I know I have to pay for parking at the airport, why would a disabled person be any different? It’s not a public parking site, it’s privately operated, so waivers do not apply at all, nor can they be expected.

Do you complain at Woolies when you have to pay for your groceries?

EvanJames EvanJames 10:02 am 29 Apr 11

vg said :

And the car they sit in, waiting for their prey, has a great big AFP painted all over it. It’s there right now, in the taxi area where people who’ve just arrived walk out of the terminal.

Keijidosha Keijidosha 10:09 am 29 Apr 11

dvaey said :

molongloid said :

Am I missing some info here? Why wouldn’t you pay? What has that got to do with the disability? …. Are you saying that in other locations disabled parking is for free? I never knew that. Seems a bit odd.

* For an unlimited time, if the time limit on the parking sign is more than 30 minutes.

This is a slight tangent, but I am looking out the window of my office at a Civic street with 1HR metered parallel parking. Every car space within sight is taken up by a vehicle with a disabled permit. The majority of these cars will remain there all day, many returning every day. I don’t want to cast aspersions on the disabled, rather point out that the policy of allowing unlimited time parking for any area marked over 30 minutes is flawed. In this case it prevents people with business to conduct in the area from having access to convenient short-term parking.

dvaey dvaey 10:33 am 29 Apr 11

bd84 said :

The horror! Having to pay for parking like everyone else, poor sods..

I agree with the extension of time, as most genuine users of disability parking cant simply park, run into the shops and be out 2min later, where a more able-bodied person can, but I also agree that the current system of alllowing all-day parking doesnt really work. I think the rule should be changed so parks over 1hr become all-day, anything else becomes 2hr.

This is the problem at the airport. People with a disability dont mind paying their way, but for the airport to financially penalise the driver for taking more time, seems to be the problem. Maybe options need to be looked at like being able to present your disabled parking label to have your parking ‘validated’, or even issuing a magstripe card with disability permits, which is universally accepted by boom-gates so the system can apply suitable concessions. There are many options.

GuyIAm GuyIAm 11:10 am 01 May 11

As a disabled driver I am not so shocked about paying, but totally blown away by the fact that disabled drivers have to travel further to the airport terminal than folks with rental cars. The other thing that really peaves me is that you cannot pick anyone up even if you can see them standing there 20 feet away no you got to pay park to collect them.
Thanks Canberra Airport for all the great considerations for the old and infirm

gazzo1365 gazzo1365 9:07 pm 11 May 11

When was the last time you tried to pick someone up kerbside in Sydney?You havent been able to do it there for years.
I asked the question why you cant do pick up anymore and was told it is because its a security matter.that makes it end of story.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 10:06 pm 11 May 11

gazket said :

Nearly all people I see using disabled car parks are fat fatties. Pensioners have to pay what makes fat fatties any different.

Does RA have any sort of award for an outstanding contribution to public discourse? If so, I would like to nominate this post for that award. The eloquence and grace of expression, combined with the sentiment that is expressed is almost more than I can bear.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 10:09 am 12 May 11

LSWCHP said :

gazket said :

Unfortunately it seems to be ineligible because of lack of committment. Use of the term ‘fatty boomsticks’ would have made all the difference.

EvanJames EvanJames 10:19 am 12 May 11

gazzo1365 said :

And yet, you can drop people off kerbside, right at the front door to the new terminal. Try it, you follow the sign that says “Departures” and go up a fancy new ramp. Security my arse. Security of profits, maybe.

Who cares what you can or can’t do in Sydney? This isn’t Sydney. Fact is, they’ve made it very difficult for people to pick up friends and relatives at Canberra airport, and given Canberra Airport’s well documented interest in making money, it’s not a stretch to draw the logical conclusion.

FioBla FioBla 10:27 am 12 May 11

gazzo1365 said :

It’s standard procedure at the Sydney Domestic Terminal, at least for Qantas (T3). Just not at the International Terminal. Both terminals also now have the new pick up arrangements identical to those at Canberra Airport—grace period in a paid parking area. It probably encourages a good use of limited space, since drivers & arrivers are encouraged to use mobile phones to coordinate themselves better and scoot away quickly instead of loitering about as does tend to happen.

After a decade of forced parking for pickups at Sydney International Terminal, this was a welcome concession.

The “security” excuse is the standard one, and I don’t know anyone who really believes it.

dvaey dvaey 10:56 am 12 May 11

gazzo1365 said :

‘Security’ is their way of not wanting to explain it. Picking up passengers works well if you manage to coordinate properly, the problem is youve got space for maybe 20 cars in the pick-up area, so assuming everyone came and left straight away, you could almost pickup 10% of passengers from one plane in a round. Try bringing in 200 cars to do pickups, and a few people are held up waiting for their bags or the kids in the toilet, and suddenly all those convenient parking spaces are being taken up by cars parked and waiting. Maybe we need an automated process, pick-up and set-down bays, with sensors that issue you with a fine if youre there for over 2min.

Region Group Pty Ltd