Is this for real? Paying for disability parking at Canberra Airport

Ggreg 28 April 2011 61

From the Canberra Airport website:

DISABLED PARKING

A number of designated disabled car park spaces are conveniently located in the airport car parks. To access these parking spaces, enter the car park via the boom-gate and take a ticket from the machine as you would normally.

Upon leaving the terminal you will need to pay for parking at the pay machines before returning to your vehicle. Our pay machines have been specifically designed to enable people in wheelchairs to access them with ease. If you experience any difficulties with the ticket or pay machines, press the help button and a member of staff will come to your assistance.

[my emphasis]

61 Responses to Is this for real? Paying for disability parking at Canberra Airport
Erg0 Erg0 12:06 pm 12 May 11

At Perth airport they have a bloke who moves you on if you wait in the pick-up bays for more than a certain amount of time (2 minutes?). Works pretty well out the front of the airport, though you end up with a lot of cars parked on the verges of the roads approaching the terminal.

vg vg 12:15 pm 12 May 11

“The “security” excuse is the standard one, and I don’t know anyone who really believes it.”

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 1:02 pm 12 May 11

vg said :

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

You can drive right past the front of the terminal. Do you really think a naughty fanatic will be worried about a parking fine? And assuming said naughty fanatic leaves the vehicle – are there procedures in place to remove the vehicle quickly? I’d be impressed if someone who stopped a car, walked quickly to a waiting vehicle and was whisked away could be caught.

FioBla FioBla 1:06 pm 12 May 11

vg said :

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

No… I could just call Sydney Airport, and get the same answer.

EvanJames EvanJames 1:11 pm 12 May 11

vg said :

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

Well, looks like one person believes it.

Clown Killer Clown Killer 2:29 pm 12 May 11

vg said :

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

Yeah, ’cause the only people at an airport with a bomb would be trying to leave. See that’s where the logic defeats the bullsh!t. If it was a security issue you wouldnt be allowed kerb side drop off either.

vg vg 3:18 pm 12 May 11

Clown Killer said :

vg said :

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

Please, regale us all with your contemporary airport security knowledge and experience, and I’m not talking about you locking yourself in the bogs in the old Canberra Terminal in 1995.

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 3:51 pm 12 May 11

vg said :

Clown Killer said :

vg said :

Give Glasgow Airport a ring and see if they disagree with you

Alternatively, how about you explain the protective security risk that is being mitigated by not allowing parking there?

EvanJames EvanJames 3:56 pm 12 May 11

vg said :

Please, regale us all with your contemporary airport security knowledge and experience.

You first.

You’re always hinting at some secret security/law enforcement insider knowledge.

Out with it!

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are the guy in the AFP-marked van at Departures, booking people trying to get their friends.

bethybobs bethybobs 1:43 am 13 May 11

Melbourne Tullamarine Airport also has a small pick up area, and last time I was there I was pretty sure the airport was bigger than Canberra’s airport. Yet it seems to work well. No one can “wait” there for someone to arrive. A very alert traffic guy or girl will make sure you move on if you do. It is for people to swing by and pick someone up already waiting. Works well.
Also a little off topic but I was pleasently surpised recently arriving at one of South Korea’s airports. The subway ride from the airport to the centre of Seoul cost about $1AUS. Clean, convenient and fast. Sure beats the 15min ride from Sydney Central that costs a whopping $12 or whatever it might be now. This was the first airport I have come across in a long time with cheap public transport. At first I thought I got the currency conversion wrong :D.

EvanJames EvanJames 10:16 am 13 May 11

Every US airport I’ve used has very well-thought-out arrangements for people to pick up their friends and relatives, they actually facilitate it. You can’t park there, so many airports have Park And Wait lots outside the airport, on the approach road, with big LED signs with status of arrivals. Your arrival phones on their mobile, says what number they’re near (yep, they have big numbers along the pick up area) and in you go to get them. Works for hotel shuttles and chauffers, too.

The Canberra airport, in contrast, lets people stand at the kerb outside arrivals, but if their rides drive in to get them, a bloke leaps out of the AFP van and books them.

Felix the Cat Felix the Cat 4:47 pm 13 May 11

ConanOfCooma said :

Do you complain at Woolies when you have to pay for your groceries?

When I’m paying $13 per kilo for bananas I sure as hell do!

Anna Key Anna Key 8:22 pm 14 May 11

You can do a “kerbside” pick up in the multistory car park, as long as you are in and out quickly – at least it happened to me last time I flew into Canberra. Not sure what the time limit would be but we were parked for about 5- 10 mins and no charge at the pay machine.

vg vg 9:26 am 15 May 11

“a bloke leaps out of the AFP van and books them.”

No they don’t, as has been previously articulated…….but your comprehension has been shown to be less than top notch on more than 1 occasion

Nick Nick 10:04 pm 02 Jul 12

funny all the comments grumbling about free disabled parking mostly at local shops or shopping centres or even the airport…. if there’s no disability to pull out a wallet or purse at the shops then paying to park at the door shouldn’t be a stretch….

troll-sniffer troll-sniffer 11:15 pm 02 Jul 12

Canberra Airport remains the only airport I’ve ever been to that is mean enough to charge for the baggage trolleys. Sure it’s their right but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of visitors used to more civilised attitudes to patrons.

G-Fresh G-Fresh 9:31 am 03 Jul 12

ConanOfCooma said :

Am I missing something? Do disabled people normally get everything for free, or seomthing? I know I have to pay for parking at the airport, why would a disabled person be any different? It’s not a public parking site, it’s privately operated, so waivers do not apply at all, nor can they be expected.

Do you complain at Woolies when you have to pay for your groceries?

devils_advocate devils_advocate 11:07 am 03 Jul 12

bethybobs said :

Singapore is about the same, changi to marina bay sands is a couple singapore dollars, a buck and some change in AUD.

Funky1 Funky1 12:35 pm 03 Jul 12

gazzo1365 said :

When was the last time you tried to pick someone up kerbside in Sydney?You havent been able to do it there for years.
I asked the question why you cant do pick up anymore and was told it is because its a security matter.that makes it end of story.

Agreed that it’s a security matter. It relates to the security of their parking income! 🙂

Disinformation Disinformation 2:14 pm 03 Jul 12

GuyIAm said :

The other thing that really peaves me is that you cannot pick anyone up even if you can see them standing there 20 feet away

no you got to pay park to collect them.
Thanks Canberra Airport for all the great considerations for the old and infirm

What part of 10 minutes free parking don’t you understand?
How hard is it to wait until someone calls you on a mobile so that you can drive into the pay park area, load luggage and people and drive out within 10 minutes?

I really can’t see the problem to get around having to pay for parking if you have a mobile phone or a prearranged routine.

Region Group Pty Ltd