News

Excellence in Public Sector consulting

Jamo Mall Brawl

By Kramer 1 October 2007 31

My family and I were just completing our grocery shop at Jamison this afternoon, when in the middle of the newly refurbished mall a brawl broke out. It seems (from our distanced view) a couple of blokes had a disagreement out the front of Aldi, which became a bit heated and resulted in the younger guy bottling the older guy. Things stepped up from there, with a few mates from either side running in to help; a checkout chick from Coles running in, as it was her dad who was bottled; Aldi & Coles staff stepping in to break things up; and no real form of mall security. The guy was then kicked and hit while on the ground by the main offender. A number of mobiles were pulled out by customers in the area – half I expect were calling the police, while the other half filmed the event for YouTube.

The end result was a puddle of blood, glass, and grog left on the floor in the middle of the newly laid tiles; a couple of police cars outside; a guy with a cold compress on his head and a bit of blood all over; and a guy in cuffs on the curb.

So it’s a new look Jamo, but the customers are still the same.

What’s Your opinion?

31 Responses to
Jamo Mall Brawl
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Panhead 3:18 pm 02 Oct 07

After living my whole life in cook and using Jamo on a weekly basis I bring my conclusion to the block of public housing on the Wests rugby side, Canberra High and Emu Bank. When i was 12 me and a few friends were chased from Jamo and around Aranda by some scum Canberra High kids trying to take our bikes. The reason we didn’t fight back? they were at least 4 years older then us and they are prone to pull weapons like what happened to your father. I really fell for you and I have an idea who they might be, it seems to be the same people every time. Jamo has improved with the renovations because more people from nicer suburbs are coming to do there shopping, not so many deros I noticed.

philbert83au 2:16 pm 02 Oct 07

Looks like the simple answer is there are derros and mingers all over Canberra and environs…

While we’re at it, bases not yet covered where I’ve witnessed antisocial behaviour in two years here: Kingston, Manuka, Griffith, Belconnen, Dickson, Kambah, Eastlake though surprisingly not Tuggers Hyperdome.

Snahons_scv6_berlina 1:58 pm 02 Oct 07

punks these days have no respect… Perhaps they can turn the new gaol into a “Prison break” style set up. Lock em-up and let em fend for themselves – I’m sure they’d gain some respect then. Even the ANU anthropology dept could use it for study 🙂

Princess-Halez, I wasn’t trying to imply your old man was asking for trouble. I guess the ‘asking for trouble’ was by engaging a piece of scum to ask them to stop being offensive – something I may well also have done if it was my wife and child nearby. I hope he’s ok, and the assholes who did this get theirs.

Deadmandrinking 12:07 pm 02 Oct 07

If growing up near Queanbeyan legitimizes a comment, then call me an authority.
Justbands, I’ve been to the Woden PLAZA (goddamn town-centre goddammit, that’s what it is goddammit) and I’ve witnessed a fair few fights there. But that, nor jamo, can compare to the bogan glory that is the queanbo town centre.
Jamo really isn’t that bad, I spent my years since fifteen in the area and used it regularly. Only once have I ever feared getting bashed, and that was when I was young – an incident that could have happened anywhere.
The fact that this man felt confident to ask those trouble-some youths not to swear indicates that jamo really isn’t much of a rough area. There’s just a few loose cannons every once in a while.

hingo_VRCalaisV6 11:52 am 02 Oct 07

He should have shoved that bottle of wine up their ass, sideways. Hope your fatehr is ok halez.

Thumper 11:36 am 02 Oct 07

Actually, sorry, this is just scum…

Apologies to bogans…

Thumper 11:35 am 02 Oct 07

Scum bogan lowlife….

But hey, he’ll get a slap on the wrist and a stern talking to….

Stung 11:30 am 02 Oct 07

Trolley poles hey, what a lowlife. Did the bloke get arrested for it??

princess-halez 11:06 am 02 Oct 07

The old guy that was beaten yesterday is my Dad and yes I am the ‘checkout chick’ from coles.
He was not bottled, he was struck with a trolley pole by a degenerate for asking him to watch his language in the presance of young children while standing in the Aldi store register line. ONe of the group of 3 boys proceeded to the door and waited for my father to approach before attacking him as his left the store.
[people pull the handles off the trolleys and carry them around up their sleeves and in their jackets, which is what this guy did].

Well actually ‘VYBerlinaV8 now_with_added grunt’, in regards to your earlier comment, My father wasn’t looking for trouble, he was infact just buying meat and a bottle of wine for our family BBQ when the attack occured. So I guess your theory that he must have been looking for trouble was just blown out the window.

S4anta 11:04 am 02 Oct 07

stung,
the lowest forms in life unfortunately tend to congregate in the open areas of canberra, north and southside. Its generally easiser to round them this way before recruiting them to the armed forces.

Stung 10:39 am 02 Oct 07

you can almost guarantee an encounter with the lowest forms of life in the Northside areas of Canberra, it’s amazing.

Further to JustBands comment, if you don’t go looking for trouble, you rarely find it. And I make this comment having grown up in Queanbeyan.

/cue now the indignant stories about how bad stuff happened that wasn’t the poster’s fault/

hingo_VRCalaisV6 10:00 am 02 Oct 07

With the amount of junkies who hang out in front of McDonalds at Woden Plaza, you would think it was required by law.

justbands 9:43 am 02 Oct 07

> Woden town centre

Firstly, it’s WODEN PLAZA…blerrggg to “Town Centre”. 🙂

Anyway…have been going there for decades, I take my 10yo there all the time & have never witnessed or been a part of one single incident of this sort. I’m sure they happen, just saying that they probably don’t happen that often.

hingo_VRCalaisV6 8:47 am 02 Oct 07

Let me be the first to say…

SHIT BAGS!

asp 3:49 am 02 Oct 07

Bah. Lanyon Market Place and the guys/animals from Lanyon High make this look like a meeting of the Country Womens Association.

Try a brawl with 200 kids from two opposing schools and dozens of cops breaking it up. That’s what happened in 2005 when Lanyon Kids had a brawl with kids from a certain religious school in Isabella Plains.

ant 10:05 pm 01 Oct 07

They sound like thoroughly revolting people. Makes Queanbeyan look upmarket. Mind you, Riverside Plaza has security guards wandering around. And Woolies groggery has a full-time security chap also.

Deadmandrinking 7:07 pm 01 Oct 07

Screw you Sammy, Jamo forever! (well, I only go there for aldi’s nowadays, as belco is closer).
But it really isn’t that bad a shopping centre. I used to work at Kippax and that was ten times as crap. But even that can’t compare to say, Woden town centre or sometimes Garema Place (I recently noticed a bunch of junkies who’d obviously been experimenting with meth and were being very aggressive towards another junkie, when they weren’t singing loudly or abusing random passer-bys). In fact, most shopping centres in canberra are used by violent, anti-social people. Why? Because we live in a CITY – it’s just spread out so everyone thinks it’s a small town and soils their pants every time something that commonly happens in cities actually occurs.

Sammy 6:19 pm 01 Oct 07

You can take Jamo out of the mall, but you can’t take Jamo out of the customers.