Community

Experts in Wills, Trusts
& Estate Planning

Jeez Mardi, way to sell your home to the world

By johnboy - 12 April 2012 89

The SMH has a lengthy piece on the torrent of abuse unleashed on Canberra last night on American TV (and on Eleven last night too where it raised my eyebrows).

If Guy Pearce wants to slag us off I guess that’s fine, and who cares what Ajay Rochester thinks about anything.

But local girl “Mardi” seems to think the only thing worth doing in Canberra is going to Sydney.

Which suggests to me she really needs to get out more, or possibly stay there.

So does anyone know this woman (the one on the right)?

mardi

Perhaps Craig should at least make a visit before devoting his show to slagging off 300,000 people.

Here’s the full horror show:

If the embedded player isn’t working you can see it on Eleven’s catch-up site.

UPDATE 12/04/12 12:40: Multiple sources have confirmed it’s one Mardi Croke of Jerrabomberra, who frequently stars in the Queanbeyan Age on netball related matters. Trading up Quangers for Canberra just to slag it seems like an odd strategy.

UPDATE 12/04/12 13:37: And for those whom Eleven is not working we now have it via YouTube:

UPDATE: And now the magic of YouTube brings us Ajay and Mardi enjoying their three minutes and twenty seconds of fame:

UPDATE 12/04/12 16:14: The Canberra Times has had a chat to Mardi who now says it was Ferguson’s idea:

Part of me did get the guilts because I do love Canberra and I often go there for the beautiful restaurants.”

But Mardi says the whole thing was meant to be taken as a joke.

“It was all very quick, it was all very funny and it was all light-hearted and I just can’t believe it’s turned into this. I love a good laugh as much as anyone else,” she said.

Mardi now jokes she’ll be wearing her “I love Queanbeyan” t-shirt when she gets home after having to deny where she was from on US television.

“I’m a staunch Queanbeyanite and love my home town,” she said.

What’s Your opinion?

89 Responses to
Jeez Mardi, way to sell your home to the world
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
LSWCHP 10:08 pm 12 Apr 12

Frustrated said :

SnapperJack said :

Is this fair dinkum? A show on US TV hosted by a Pom interviewing an Australian? Which country is suffering the cultural cringe now?

First of all, Ferguson is an ex-pat Scot, you moron.

Thirdly, I am another who wont retire here and happy tell anyone who cares to listen.

I suggest you run along then, otherwise the ennui, tedium, boredom, soullessness and bad weather will surely lead you to an early grave.

Mr Evil 9:59 pm 12 Apr 12

The only funny thing about the Mardi & Ajay clip is that neither of the dumb moles noticed that Ferguson actually pulled the New Zealand flag out of his pocket……….

molongloid 9:55 pm 12 Apr 12

smont said :

I don’t there’s necessarily any particular ‘thing’ that Canberra lacks or needs to make it more interesting – but it definitely does lack ‘something’, and I’ve never been able to put my finger on quite what it is……Love the place – but it’s definitely missing that vibrant, interesting character of each of the other capitals. And it’s nothing to do with size. Wellington, NZ, is no bigger than Canberra, and it has a great feel about it – like a little San Francisco or Sydney. My theory is that Canberra is a little too ‘over planned’, they tried a bit too hard with the utopian city thing – which ironically has actually stunted the development of the city’s natural, vibrant feel.

Sufficient size – 350,000 people is plenty. Structure is the problem – split across five town centres we’ve not reached critical mass. Less than the sum of its parts even. Love the place, but it has to work against the original planning before we get the extra bustle and buzz that you get in other towns of similar size.

dpm 9:50 pm 12 Apr 12

Frustrated said :

First of all, Ferguson is an ex-pat Scot, you moron.

Hahaha! Gold!
Though, the funny thing about this is, when you’re on your death bed, how much you’re going to regret wasting a large chunk of your life in Canberra.
What a pity! You should have left ages ago by the sounds of it. You only get one shot at life mate, why waste it somewhere you hate? Still, you’ll have your invalid retirement years to enjoy somewhere else. Hahahaha! Silly bugger.

c_c 9:43 pm 12 Apr 12

Frustrated said :

First of all, Ferguson is an ex-pat Scot, you moron.

According to Oxford English Dictionary, Pom is applicable to any British person, i.e. from the United Kingdom.

He’s an ex-pom.

jinkies 9:42 pm 12 Apr 12

Nifty said :

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

To be fair, Queanbeyan really is a far better place to live than Canberra. And Jerrabomberra is the best part of Queanbeyan.

Go on, tell us about the fine dining options and boutiques in Jerra. It’s a commuter wasteland populated by cashed up bogans like Ms Mardi. The only excitement is when a Snowtown bound jet strays off the flight path and starts the rottweilers barking…

PS

The best part about living in Queanbeyan: the lack of delusional Jerra-ites.

Perhaps the problem of Canberra is a lack of aptitude for change. Alot of people have forgotten how to have fun, and wait around for somebody to create “fun” for them.

Thumper 9:36 pm 12 Apr 12

Frustrated said :

SnapperJack said :

First of all, Ferguson is an ex-pat Scot, you moron.

Then one must ask, if you hate the place so much, why the fuck are you here?

Frustrated 9:24 pm 12 Apr 12

SnapperJack said :

First of all, Ferguson is an ex-pat Scot, you moron.

Secondly, as someone who has been here since 1981, I still proudly tell people if they ask, I wasn’t born here. Canberra is a shocking place, mostly bad people these days, boring soul-less city and poor weather etc etc

caf 8:58 pm 12 Apr 12

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

Jerrabomberra is the Wanniassa you have when you aren’t having a Wanniassa.

Thumper 8:03 pm 12 Apr 12

Sydney, London, Paris: a lot of people would live exactly the same shitty lifestyle: go to work, buy something to eat, go home to a pokey apartment and plug into the TV or computer. Put them in Canberra and suddenly they’re bored…

Nailed it…

When I was in London I’d go and have a few pints in the pub then go home and watch TV or surf the net. See a band on a weekday night or a weekend.

Just like Canberra. Guess I’m just boring….

smont 7:50 pm 12 Apr 12

I don’t there’s necessarily any particular ‘thing’ that Canberra lacks or needs to make it more interesting – but it definitely does lack ‘something’, and I’ve never been able to put my finger on quite what it is. In the last 20 years I’ve either lived in, or regularly worked in, every mainland capital, and currently own a house and am raising a family in Canberra. Love the place – but it’s definitely missing that vibrant, interesting character of each of the other capitals. And it’s nothing to do with size. Wellington, NZ, is no bigger than Canberra, and it has a great feel about it – like a little San Francisco or Sydney. My theory is that Canberra is a little too ‘over planned’, they tried a bit too hard with the utopian city thing – which ironically has actually stunted the development of the city’s natural, vibrant feel. Ever walked down the National Mall in the centre of Washington DC? Washington is a planned city, and it has an incredibly vibrant, grandiose, proud feel about it. Canberra – regardless of the difference in size – does not have that same feel; but could if the ‘trying too hard to be the utopian city’ development controls were just relaxed a little bit. I love living in Canberra, and often find myself leaping to it’s defence. But you ask what it’s lacking? Well, that’s my two bob’s worth …

Nifty 7:13 pm 12 Apr 12

VYBerlinaV8_is_back said :

PS Jerra-ites don’t consider themselves part of Queanbeyan: they point proudly to the fact that they have their own postcode to prove it!

nazasaurus 6:35 pm 12 Apr 12

This has got me all thinking what would you do right now to make Canberra more interesting and fun to live in.. suggestions other than make it the size of Sydney and the population will take care of itself. If you were Head of tourism or events here what would you do to make it more interesting. Personally on the food and drink front alone, I think better public transport at night between City, Belco, Woden etc so people dont see it as a costly and massive effort to do anything but stay at home, more options to eat at night after 10pm not just McDonalds.. what do other people suggest?

Ben_Dover 5:28 pm 12 Apr 12

diced_mango said :

Ben_Dover said :

People still talk fondly of the times Nirvana (20 yrs ago) and Iron Maiden (27 years ago) played here.

In 20 years I suspect I will be talking fondly of the time The Darkness played ANU Bar back in May of 2012.

I doubt it, The Drakness are virtually a 70’s tribute band as it is.

diced_mango 5:18 pm 12 Apr 12

Ben_Dover said :

While the people we pay to spruik our tourism will no doubt be rocking in the foetal position today, it’s water off a duck’s back. People hear what they want to hear, and if this confirms their view, then they weren’t going to visit anyway.

A lot of our tourism seems to be based around government, diplomacy and academic conferences, and Year 6 kids (and their families). No physicist or biologist considering applying for a job at ANU or UC will think “I really want this job, but Craig Ferguson said it was boring, so I can’t live there”.

VYBerlinaV8_is_back 5:09 pm 12 Apr 12

R. Slicker said :

Postalgeek said :

Seriously, what do people require not to be bored?

I’d like to go back to the 1980s and early 1990s when every public toilet in the ACT was a gay beat and there were no less than six separate businesses in Mitchell, O’Connor and Fyshwick allowing gay sex on the premises.

Nowadays you have to go up to Sydney just to get your rocks off.

I only believe in gay marriage when both chicks are hot.

R. Slicker 4:44 pm 12 Apr 12

Postalgeek said :

Seriously, what do people require not to be bored?

Nowadays you have to go up to Sydney just to get your rocks off.

Postalgeek 4:33 pm 12 Apr 12

Seriously, what do people require not to be bored? What manufactured entertainment or artificial glamour do they crave that they can find in one city but not in another?

When I meet someone who is ‘bored’, generally it’s not the location that is the problem.

schmeah 4:21 pm 12 Apr 12

I think this is a good thing .. the last thing this beautiful town needs is a bunch of big city wanks invading it. Keep the barbarians at bay for God’s sake.

Chop71 4:18 pm 12 Apr 12