Jets and Vapour streams over Canberra

loki964 9 December 2009 57

[First filed on: Dec 6, 2009]
Hi all,

So, has it just been me noticing all the Jets flying over Canberra today?? (Sunday) I have watched more planes flying over head all very close together today then I think have ever flown over Canberra before (ok slight over statement…but you get the idea…), Anyone know if there was any military ops going on as im sure there cant be that many people flying to and from Sydney and melb!!

[Ed] I took some photos of what was left:
Only possibilities I came up with was RMC or ADFA graduation but RMC is probably not until Tuesday.

57 Responses to Jets and Vapour streams over Canberra
    1 2 3 Next »
    stonedwookie stonedwookie 12:20 pm 07 Dec 09

Chemtrails for sure why would a plane do two u turns?
    Contrails are water based and should evaporate not stick around for hours n block the sky like chemtrails do.
    They seem to been laying most trails near the sun almost blocking it out.i think there trying to reduce its uv damage but chemtrails can be used for many things.
    vist my youtube for video’s http://www.youtube.com/user/CanberraChris
    Or Search Dtic http://www.dtic.mil
    For barium ion clouds/Barium radar

Deano Deano 12:02 pm 07 Dec 09

sloppery said :

They are actually formed from water vapour that condenses in the turbulence coming off the wings – hence their name – contrails, short for condensation trails. Basically they are long thin clouds, hence their white colour.

I noticed the high number of contrails yesterday as well. Must have been an unusual combination of very still upper atmospheric conditions and high humidity.

jase! jase! 11:54 am 07 Dec 09

sloppery said :

not that surprising, from burning hydrocarbons in oxygen there are 2 main resultant products, CO2 as you have mentioned and H2O.

the trails up there have a lot in common with the white exhaust that is visible when your car is cold on a cold day.

bileduct: I figured you were being silly and thought i would respond in kind, hence the 😀 smiley

ozmackem ozmackem 11:17 am 07 Dec 09

Could be Santa practising, and one of th reindeer has bad wind?

harvyk1 harvyk1 10:52 am 07 Dec 09

loki964 said :

Do you think they were passenger planes? I saw 3 all flying pretty dam close in the same direction, and 2 others flying in a similar way in the other direction, I thought passenger planes had to keep quite a bit of distance, which this lot certainly weren’t doing…

Yes, they need to keep their distance, but the amount of room they are allowed to have between them depends on a lot of factors, including the size of the various types of planes (eg an A380 and a B737 need far more space between them than two B737’s). The distance apart is roughly 8 km if both planes are at the same altitude, however they may technically fly on top of each other provided there is at least 600 meters of air between them. On the ground there is no way you’d pick up altitude differences without some sort of measuring equipment. (Can you look to an object 10km away and accurately guess how far it is away to the meter using only your eyesight?)

Also as for the numbers of planes at once, well don’t forget that there are at least 5 different airlines (that I can think off the top of my head) which fly that route, Qantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Tiger, United Airlines (LAX – SYD – MEL and vice versa) and I’m sure there are a couple of other international or minor airlines which fly the route as well.

BTW I’m sorry to any pilots if I have the numbers wrong…

housebound housebound 10:45 am 07 Dec 09

White rainbows – cool.

Hercsie Hercsie 10:03 am 07 Dec 09

I understand that a qantas aircraft has some technical issues and was given a priority clearance to Melbourne. Everyone else had to give up their “slots” which caused the traffic jam visible heading south.

sloppery sloppery 9:56 am 07 Dec 09

It’s surprising that the trails are white, I thought most carbon derivatives were black. The emissions from these jets have lots of hydrocarbons and carbon dioxide, PLUS they’re up so high that plants reach them to metabolise them.

bileduct bileduct 8:50 am 07 Dec 09

jase! said :

bileduct said :

Chemtrails!

kooktrails 😀

LOL.

I should have used sarcasm tags, though I thought it was obvious.

harvyk1 harvyk1 8:13 am 07 Dec 09

Two things, one we are right under the 4th busiest air route in the world (Sydney to Melbourne). Second of all that big oval circle is actually an aircraft holding pattern.

I’d guess that Sydney airspace was a little crowed yesterday afternoon, and thus just before decent air traffic control decided to put an aircraft into a holding pattern.

Whilst it’s a little unusual for the contrails to remain, it could have been due to no high altitute winds (jet streams).

Either way, it still looked pretty cool…

taninaus taninaus 7:13 am 07 Dec 09

Saw the white trails too and was wondering why – thought maybe a recreational pilot?

And the white trails are no longer the official name after my nephew christened them white rainbows! cute

JC JC 3:46 am 07 Dec 09

bileduct said :

Chemtrails!

No they aren’t. They are (water) vapor trails.

jase! jase! 11:47 pm 06 Dec 09

bileduct said :

Chemtrails!

kooktrails 😀

Mr Evil Mr Evil 11:24 pm 06 Dec 09

“I think your photo would be showing a plane doing a holding circuit before being allowed descent into Sydney.”

Agreed. Bloody Sydney air traffic congestion!

Northbound civil passenger flights passing over the ACT travel along the western side of the ACT, while southbound flights travel along the eastern side.

Military traffic can sometimes be seen passing directly over the centre of the ACT at fairly high altitude.

loki964 loki964 10:21 pm 06 Dec 09

GottaLoveCanberra GottaLoveCanberra 9:56 pm 06 Dec 09

Yeah I’ve noticed this too. Many many large passenger aircraft flying over ACT.

bileduct bileduct 9:53 pm 06 Dec 09

Chemtrails!

Deckard Deckard 9:13 pm 06 Dec 09

It’s probably a passenger plane in a holding pattern waiting to enter Sydney airspace. I’ve seen them making figure 8’s over Canberra before.

s-s-a s-s-a 9:12 pm 06 Dec 09

The one in your pic was quite spectacular – we saw the latter 2/3 of it and couldn’t work out whether (initially) the pilot had left the iron on at home and was doing a U-ey or (later) just random zooming around.

Anna Key Anna Key 9:02 pm 06 Dec 09

I also thought it looked quite spectacular today. At one stage saw 3 heading to MEL, one to SYD, and one flying directly north (no idea – Hobart to Brisbane???), all leaving very prominent contrails.

1 2 3 Next »