John Hargreaves quits cabinet after drink driving charge

Kerces 7 June 2006 49

The ABC radio news just ran a story that Municipal Services and Housing Minister John Hargreaves has resigned from Cabinet after being charged with drink driving last night.

Police stopped him on the Tuggeranong Parkway, driving home after post-budget celebrations.

The ABC reported Mr Hargreaves measured 0.097 on the breathalyser.

I believe the Speaker has accepted his resignation.

UPDATED: The Chief Minister has put out a media release saying Mr. Hargreaves is not resigning from anything but rather is stepping aside pending “legal resolution of the incident”. (thanks to Areaman for the heads up)

FURTHER UPDATE: The ABC has finally got the story online including very sympathetic comments by Bill Stefaniak.

What’s Your opinion?

49 Responses to
John Hargreaves quits cabinet after drink driving charge
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
johnboy 11:09 pm 07 Jun 06

Sorry guys, what the hell does the dragway have to do with Hargreaves DUI charge?

seepi 8:48 am 08 Jun 06

yeah sorry – I’ve been itching to post about the dragway for ages, but wimped out cos I couldn’t face all the nimby/greeny attacks.

Indi 9:14 am 08 Jun 06

Seepi – I should have mentioned that I’ve read the report. In fact, I agree with your sentiments, with the exception of operating times.

In terms of ‘political speak’ I was simply pointing out just how far a pollie may go to appease one group at the expense of the effected residents who most likely vote for Stanhope anyway (or if the dragstrip goes ahead they may not!)

ant 9:25 am 08 Jun 06

Seepi, you should write an actual article about this. I lived “close” to the old Dragway. It’s all true, and more. The noise is horrific, there is nothing like it. The airport is nothing compared with the violent bursts of almost unbelieveable noise. How on earth can they contemplate building such a thing where people live?

Kerces 11:16 am 08 Jun 06

Seepi, may I take the liberty of pointing you at this helpful comment?

bonfire 11:46 am 09 Jun 06

ant – they are not building the dragway where people live. it is many kilometres away, with a ridge and bushland in between.

its also an election committment.

and i can guarentee the black mariahs are parked outside any drag event administering non RBT’s as people exit and enter. they usually take the opportunity to perform non random roadworthys.

Kerces 12:43 pm 09 Jun 06

Just dragging the discussion back on thread for a moment, the CT seems to be being a day late with their Pryor cartoons but I did like this one from yesterday. Think he reads RA?

terubo 2:00 pm 09 Jun 06

I’ve got a title for that:
“The Three F**kmuppeteers”.

seepi 4:12 pm 09 Jun 06

Bonfire – you can walk to the dragway site from my house in Hackett. It isn’t ‘many’ km away at all. There are also 26 rural residences in the Majura Valley who will be so badly affected they are being advised to take subsidised weekends away from their homes whenever the dragway operates. Not to mention the sweet elderly couple whose land the dragway is actually being built on – their house is pretty close by.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.