Julia trapped by an angry mob at the Tent Embassy?

johnboy 26 January 2012 341

We’re hearing there have been ugly scenes at the tent embassy with the Prime Minister needing to be rescued by police.

If you were there please tell us all about it in the comments or mail pictures through to images@the-riotact.com .

Here’s Nine’s take on it:

julia gillard bundled into a taxi mopo

341 Responses to Julia trapped by an angry mob at the Tent Embassy?
Mr Evil Mr Evil 7:25 pm 26 Jan 12

Nice bit of PR work by the Aboriginal ‘Embassy’ hangers-on, fans and their cheer squad. This will really do wonders for them and their cause. They really thought this one through, didn’t they……….

And as to Tony Abbott’s comments, I don’t think they were inflamatory at all – and as others have said, he only said it was time to move on as a lot had changed in Australia since 1972.

After today’s effort, it’s definitely time to get rid of this ’embassy’ eyesore and all the idiots who hang out there – they’re not doing themselves any favours now, and are an embarrassment to their own people.

Overheard Overheard 7:25 pm 26 Jan 12

Don’t these protestors understand that true social change is effected by writing stern letters to the editor and banging on anonymously on the internet? I mean, honestly, what WERE they thinking?

Biggest shame about this is the disruption of an event recognising emergency service personnel. But put that down to the genius who decided to hold it in a floor-to-ceiling glass building in that particular area on Australia Day/Invasion Day [delete one]. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

gooterz gooterz 7:25 pm 26 Jan 12

Did they rescue her?

I-filed I-filed 7:15 pm 26 Jan 12

Here’s an indication of just how powerless the Indigenous rabble are who did this – police simply aren’t bothering to press any charges.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 7:08 pm 26 Jan 12

fgzk said :

Ive watched the footage a couple of times. What I saw was a gunman dragging our PM down the steps. I saw other gunmen punching on. I saw gunmen driving through a crowded road. Way to go gunman.

Curioser and curioser…

Tool Tool 7:06 pm 26 Jan 12

fgzk said :

Ive watched the footage couple of times. What I saw was a gunman dragging our PM down the steps. I saw other gunmen punching on. I saw gunmen driving through a crowded road. Way to go gunman.

Keep trolling, you are clearly a sympathiser. The idea that our PM should be held ransom by this lot is a joke, cops should have smashed them and not been so reserved in my book. No head of government should ever be subject to that crap.

Holditz Holditz 7:03 pm 26 Jan 12

ABC News has a police spokesman saying that no charges nor action will be taken.

cranky cranky 7:02 pm 26 Jan 12

fgzk said :

WTF?

milkman milkman 6:59 pm 26 Jan 12

fgzk said :

Gunman… Oooooh!

Thumper Thumper 6:46 pm 26 Jan 12

fgzk said :

Right on Thumper. The man handling of our Prime Minister was outrageous. I noticed Mr Abbot was smiling.

As I suspected. You really are a complete nob.

Nothing more.

Jethro Jethro 6:44 pm 26 Jan 12

fgzk said :

Jethro …are you sure you have stood up for the Tent Embassy. You seem to have a deluded opinion of what they are about.

Reread the previous threads regarding the embassy.

LSWCHP LSWCHP 6:38 pm 26 Jan 12

I’ve had a look at the available videos. I’d say the police were taken by surprise at the size and heat of the protest, and they appear to be substantially outnumbered. It looks like they were unable to contain the protesters, with the result that they were able to get up close to the restaurant and start pounding on the windows.

After the fact it may look like it was a mistake to evacuate Gillard and Abbott, but the guys on the scene at the time probably made the reasonable call that an invasion of the premises was imminent. If the demonstrators had tried that, there’s no way the cops on hand would’ve been able to keep them out without resorting to batons at least, and perhaps firearms.

Under those circumstances, Getting Out of Dodge would definitely be safer than going hand to hand inside the restaurant with a bunch of rioters equipped with knives, glassware and other improvised weapons. “PM Glassed in Restaurant Riot” would not be a good headline.

I also saw some footage of a young bloke carrying a bloody spear! He abused and spat on a police officer, and when the cop went after him he threatened the cop with the spear, raising it as though he intended to stick him with it.

None of what I could see happening was OK. If these people really are the representatives of the tent embassy, then all I can say is that I don’t like them, or the way they behave, and the tent embassy should be shut down tomorrow.

honeybee honeybee 6:28 pm 26 Jan 12

Looks like the police are fending photographers and the media off rather than protesters.

fgzk fgzk 6:22 pm 26 Jan 12

Holditz Holditz 6:16 pm 26 Jan 12

This was the ABC News piece that was broadcast last night.

Dilandach Dilandach 6:14 pm 26 Jan 12

If it were up to me I’d wait for a couple of months until things died down and the tent reverted back to the couple of tents instead of the shanty town it is now. In the middle of the night, arrest all on the grounds. Pull down all the tents, move the shipping container and lock down the surrounding areas until further notice. Anyone breaching the area to be arrested.

Where the tent embassy once stood, some general ‘works’ to take place including bulldozers and large piles of dirt and other obstacles which would make re-establishing the tent embassy both difficult and unpleasant.

The tent embassy is nothing more than a blight, it doesn’t live up to the ideals it was once established under. For that, its time to go.

fgzk fgzk 5:59 pm 26 Jan 12

milkman milkman 5:56 pm 26 Jan 12

If the Tent Embassy was involved, it needs to go.

Thumper Thumper 5:53 pm 26 Jan 12
Postalgeek Postalgeek 5:53 pm 26 Jan 12

Yeeah, let’s get the full story first.

And from what I understand, having a bite to eat at the Lobby after making a controversial suggestion to move the embassy on the day extra crowds come to the Embassy to mark it turning 40 takes a special kind of smarts.

Region Group Pty Ltd