Julian Assange protest comes to Canberra

johnboy 11 December 2010 48

Assange van [As seen in the Inner North]

Facebook brings word of a “Protest to Defend Wikileaks and Julian Assange – Canberra”, set to happen in Garema Place next Thursday.

Join the protests around Australia and the world to defend Assange and Wikileaks. The Canberra demo will be on Thursday the 16th of December – two days after Assange’s next court appearance.

Spread the word.

Briefly some thoughts on this:

1. A lot of people are projecting their own fantasies onto Julian Assange.
    2. Almost nothing has been leaked that is news to anyone who was paying attention to the world in the first place.
    3. The actual leaker Bradley Manning is likely to die in prison making Julian Assange a hero for very little actual increase in public knowledge.
    4. Get a subscription to The Economist if you have been taken by surprise by wikileaks revelations and would like to keep up from here on in.
    5. Have a thought to your future security clearances if you start taking part in Assange protests, and remember you could get jail time for joining the “Anonymous” payback attacks.
    6. You’re a grown up, make up your own mind.

poster

UPDATE: The Register is now drawing attention to the fact that Bradley Manning’s defence fund has not had one red cent out of Wikileaks.

What’s Your opinion?

48 Responses to
Julian Assange protest comes to Canberra
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
pepmeup 10:25 am 11 Dec 10

If he is a rapist who cares about anything else he can never be a hero.

I think we will get a huge number of ANU Arts students (read rent a crowd) turning up to the protest.

Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot 10:21 am 11 Dec 10

dvaey said :

I-filed said :

I’m inclined to wait for the outcome of any Swedish rape trial before I come out in support of Assange.

I think there’s too much potential for trendoid rentacrowd business with this protest.

Amazing, 28 comments before someone even mentioned what the trial is about. This trial that Julian Assange is involved with at the moment has nothing to do with leaking US secret documents, and everything to do with 2 rape allegations against him by 2 separate women, one of who used to be his spokeswoman and who he lived with while in Europe. This isnt just some random stranger told to make up a story by the CIA.

If you want to defend his actions of leaking secret documents, thats all well and good, but dont be blind-sided that this court case (or protest) has to do with that. The protest will no doubt focus entirely on the wikileaks side of his life, and hardly at all on the rape allegations theyre claiming to be defending him from.

There are no ‘rape’ allegations.

There are no doubts that the sex was consensual with both women.

But his condom broke. “Sex by surprise”.

Bizarre Swedish laws.

CraigT 8:51 am 11 Dec 10

“The attack of WikiLeaks also ought to be a wake-up call for anyone who has rosy fantasies about whose side cloud computing providers are on. These are firms like Google, Flickr, Facebook, Myspace and Amazon which host your blog or store your data on their servers somewhere on the internet, or which enable you to rent “virtual” computers – again located somewhere on the net. The terms and conditions under which they provide both “free” and paid-for services will always give them grounds for dropping your content if they deem it in their interests to do so. The moral is that you should not put your faith in cloud computing – one day it will rain on your parade.”

Pommy bastard 8:04 am 11 Dec 10

So the footage of American soldiers gunning down unarmed civilians, including women and children, from a helicopter and laughing about it should not have been released?

It’s a sure sign of how low the US has slipped in the eyes of the world that Assagne is getting the amount of support which he is.

The leaks are also an indication of how much the US is prepared to meddle in other nations government for its own ends.

I see both good and bad in the leaks

Arbib is as much a leaker as Assagne, he should be tried..

dvaey 6:53 am 11 Dec 10

I-filed said :

cleo 12:06 am 11 Dec 10

How did a private get access to diplomatic cables?
SIPRNet is a US Govt system of Secret (NOFORN) or higher level access that uses a Permit All Once Access Granted, Only Deny If Requested user access architecture in response to Sept 11’s “We had it on file but nobody knew about it” problems.
Manning abused that inherent flaw.

It has a user base of three million people, and evidently confidential diplomatic cables are also filed in it.Much to the frustration of people like Kevin07 and Arbib, since it meant they weren’t actually being treated as confidentially as they seemed to expect.

Julian, I just want to know if Alians are real!

Deano 10:33 pm 10 Dec 10

fozzy said :

I thought a better comparison was that WikiLeaks is to Governments what Facebook is to the general public – neither respect the right to privacy.

Mr Waffle 9:52 pm 10 Dec 10

Thanks for that, Skidbladnir. That’s just… wow. 3 million people with access to that much content…

(Also, I’m suddenly reminded of and amused by the thought of previous riotact articles about our local political party offices having vast databases of information on us)

cross 9:24 pm 10 Dec 10

Some bureaucrats and corporations just don,t get the whole Interwebs tubes thing,the more attention wikileaks get the worse it will get for them.
System admins unite.

peterepete 9:15 pm 10 Dec 10

Jungle Jim says – “Why does there need to be a derogatory ‘yankees’ statement at the bottom of “message”. Totally agree Jungle Jim – whats the dislike of 500 million people based upon their origin got to do with the issue? I don’t get how these wicked van types/hippies can be so discriminatory. I hate how IF you ever turn up to protest about an issue you end up marching under 50 other banners that you are opposed to that have got nothing to do with the issue. Its why I never go.

Skidbladnir 8:24 pm 10 Dec 10

How did a private get access to diplomatic cables?
Manning abused that inherent flaw.

creative_canberran 6:58 pm 10 Dec 10

Chaz said :

anyone else have a feeling that this wikileaks issue will lead to net censorship?

The FCC is actually working on legislating regarding “Net Neutrality” at the moment because service providers are attempting to censor what users access. Should be interesting to see what they come up with given whatever they do will reflect on their own ability to censor sites.

I-filed 6:15 pm 10 Dec 10

I’d also like to know whether Wikileaks’ transparency extends to their financial affairs. Has Assange made serious money out of the venture? And what’s with this “no money for the leaker’s defence fund!” What the!

I have reservations about the “Assange worship” that seems to be based on his looks (though they are fading fast)

Frankly, a hack attack on the possible rape victims’ lawyer’s website was disgusting – I don’t think Assange has come out and decried that act.

BerraBoy68 5:20 pm 10 Dec 10

To me, the odd thing about the public’s reaction to the information now coming out on wikileaks is that everybody seemed to ‘believe’ that the behavior contained in the leaked documents went on behind the scenes anyway… they just didn’t want to have ‘know’ that it actually does go on.

housebound 5:14 pm 10 Dec 10

Let’s face it, in a an ideal world, a lot of that ‘classified’ information would not have been written because it is nasty gossip, but in this world it is passed off as intelligence and kept secret (until now).

On the other hand – outing Arbib as an American patsy may have done us all a favour.

I tend to come down on the side of those who say if Asange has done the wrong thing, then so have all the media he has co-opted into publishing the material as well.

Mr Waffle 4:29 pm 10 Dec 10

I’m sure I read last week that wikileaks is going broke since it doesn’t actually have any sort of income (eg advertising) other than donations. Can’t recall where now…

Also, I’m still confused as to how a mere Private in the US Army could gain access to and leak diplomatic cables. Why would the military have access to those?

fozzy 3:45 pm 10 Dec 10

Some meta thoughts:

1. I think the points listed above are helpful and well balanced, with one caveat, about security clearances. Engaging in public protests does not (IANAL) someone getting clearance. Only if you go further than a peaceful protest may that not be the case.
2. The best summary I’ve seen of the whole discussion is that WikiLeaks is to Governments/Diplomacy/Statecraft what Napster began 10 years ago for the music and movie industries. They are still hanging onto their old business models rather than re-inventing themselves. Will it also take governments 10+ years to figure out what it means to live in a digital age?
3. As has been said, none of the leaks are particularly revelatory for any News junkie. But the overall meta-analysis has been great, particularly Guy Rundle’s pieces in Crikey.

Me no fry 3:15 pm 10 Dec 10

Deref said :

Skidbladnir said :

In other news, the US State Department took a break from pursuing Wikileaks only for long enough to announce World Press Freedom Day.

Here’s a challenge to all RiotACTers – find a greater example of hypocrisy.

This reminds me of a bit from the movie Mars Attacks, where the aliens are running through the streets shooting everyone they can see while at the same time carrying a machine which says “we come in peace” (or words to that effect).

joller 2:39 pm 10 Dec 10

johnboy said :

I hope you’re not suggesting there’s anything wrong with having one night stands with groupies.

I’m jeleaous, I don’t have groupies 😉

I just hope it isn’t a criterion by which one is considered ‘a real man’ and I can’t really figure out what other claims to being ‘a real man’ this guy could possibly have.

I guess one should ask the van owner what the criteria are for being ‘a real man’.

johnboy 2:32 pm 10 Dec 10

joller said :

Also the rest of the statement ‘my kind of man – a real man’ – what is that supposed to mean? the rest of us are what, not real? you’re only a real man if you leak secrets and have one night stands with groupies, whether consensual or not?

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.