Just how many landcruisers do the cops have?

p1 23 January 2013 38

pano

The AFP were making use of the recently boarded up Alexander and Abermarle Buildings in for training again today. I wonder where they will move to when they are finally demolished?

I took note today specifically, as there were at least five similar landcruisers decked out with the unmarked car lighting, bullbars, roof-rack’s, and in some cases winches and snorkels. It set me to wondering just how many such vehicles a city the size of Canberra needs?

police training

38 Responses to Just how many landcruisers do the cops have?
G-Fresh G-Fresh 12:58 pm 24 Jan 13

c_c™ said :

They also have an armoured bearcat, a fleet of armoured BMW X5s based in Canberra, jet-skis and auxiliary vehicles for special tasks.

They also have a number of Jeep Cherokee’s with Hemi’s running around, Subaru Forester’s, Ford Territory’s etc

Haven’t seen them in a Chery yet.

Keijidosha Keijidosha 12:17 pm 24 Jan 13

Keep your shirt on, Pitchka! I’m not concerned about what it costs to equip our Police with the equipment they need, but a luxury 4×4 does strike me as slightly exorbitant, perhaps because I’m ignorant of features that the Landcruiser offers that the AFP need. Can you enlighten me?

(FYI: I know the difference between a dual cab and wagon 4×4, but besides the enclosed cargo area I can see no practical difference, hence my original question. Again, I’m happy to be educated!)

vg vg 11:58 am 24 Jan 13

They aren’t Police vehicles

Pitchka Pitchka 11:45 am 24 Jan 13

Keijidosha said :

Pork Hunt said :

Keijidosha said :

I think the valid question to be asked is do the AFP really need $80,000+ Landcruisers? There are plenty of capable 4×4’s available at half that price.

Such as ?

Holden Colorado, Isuzu D-Max, Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux… just to name a few.

And further to this post, do any of the Landcruisers pictures look like Dual cabs to you? of which all your suggestions are (some even come in single cab)? Nice to see you know the difference….

Pitchka Pitchka 11:43 am 24 Jan 13

Keijidosha said :

And what sort of capabilities do you think an AFP 4WD needs to have, or are you just focussed on price?
Its a vehicle used for law enforcement. I dont see you complaining about countless SES Officers in the APS who get $40 -$50k vehicles, for nothing other than private use.

Keijidosha Keijidosha 11:29 am 24 Jan 13

Pork Hunt said :

Keijidosha said :

Such as ?

Holden Colorado, Isuzu D-Max, Nissan Navara, Toyota Hilux… just to name a few.

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 10:51 am 24 Jan 13

Keijidosha said :

Such as ?

dpm dpm 9:39 am 24 Jan 13

ATypicalUsername said :

I think the point is not only do they have so many four wheel drives, but they have so many unmarked four wheel drives.
Surely you only need a few unmarked cars, and of those, you really don’t need ANY 4X4s. Surely one or two would be fine for most situations, if you really do need the utility such a vehicle provides, why not bring in one of the many fully painted police SUV/4X4s?

Yeah, but it’s a bit harder to use a marked 4WD as the family car on weekend etc, isn’t it? Hahahaha! 🙂

NellyBean NellyBean 9:19 am 24 Jan 13

ATypicalUsername said :

I’m sure the “bad guys” will wait for the SRG to borrow another divisions vehicle, or maybe they can check with the SRG beforehand to make sure they can actually turn up to the party?

Keijidosha Keijidosha 9:16 am 24 Jan 13

ATypicalUsername ATypicalUsername 3:47 am 24 Jan 13

Diggety Diggety 10:13 pm 23 Jan 13

200 Series?? Pfft.

I’d say it’s a bunch of soccer mums watching reruns of Ellen.

c_c™ c_c™ 10:12 pm 23 Jan 13

Ozi said :

This may alarm some but they may have more than 10 patrol cars too….

shhhhhhh though, that’s classified.

ACT Policing Fleet: 197 motor vehicles, 27 motorcycles

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 9:04 pm 23 Jan 13

Ozi said :

This may alarm some but they may have more than 10 patrol cars too….

shhhhhhh though, that’s classified.

Where? Never seen one…

Ozi Ozi 8:00 pm 23 Jan 13

This may alarm some but they may have more than 10 patrol cars too….

shhhhhhh though, that’s classified.

JC JC 7:34 pm 23 Jan 13

P1, do you do realise that the AFP does more than Police the ACT?

James_Ryan James_Ryan 7:20 pm 23 Jan 13

“It set me to wondering just how many such vehicles a city the size of Canberra needs?”

Well those dough-nuts aren’t going to fetch themselves.

c_c™ c_c™ 6:49 pm 23 Jan 13

So what is the OP’s problem, doesn’t like the cops buying 4x4s?

Doesn’t seem unreasonable, particular since the SRS and ORG were merged last year to form a single Canberra based division called SRG.

It’s not like their buying custom built BMW estate wagons for armed patrol cars like the Met does for CO19.

1337Hax0r 1337Hax0r 6:43 pm 23 Jan 13

They obviously know more about the Zombie Apocalypse and Reptoid Invasions than we do. Trust me, when you’re driving waist deep through battered zombies you’re going to be thankful you have a snorkel to protect yourself from their blood.

MERC600 MERC600 4:51 pm 23 Jan 13

I spent some good years at these 2 buildings. When are they due to be demolished ?

Region Group Pty Ltd