Children love birthday parties. The reality for parents, however, is that planning, organising and running a kids birthday party takes a lot of time and effort. Even small-scale celebrations need food, drinks, invitations, decorations and activities!
Whether you’d prefer to let someone else do all the work, or don’t mind taking a more hands-on approach, we’ve put together a list of fun Canberra kids birthday party ideas that are sure to make your child’s special day one to remember.
Things to consider when planning a kids birthday party
Like any event, the secret to a great kids birthday party is planning. Doing everything you can to get organised before the party will help minimise stress and ensure the day runs as smoothly as possible.
- When is the party? Successful parties can be planned at short notice, but if you’re looking to hire a venue keep in mind that you may need to book several weeks (or even months) in advance.
- How many kids and adults are you inviting, and what age are the children? If you’re inviting 150 people to a first birthday party, the venue and/or activity you choose will be different to the one you’d select for an eighth birthday party with ten guests.
- What is your budget? Again, this will influence where the party is held, what types of activities are available, and how many people you can invite. Once you set a budget, stick to it. Memorable kids parties don’t have to cost an arm and a leg.
- What kind of food do you want? Will you be serving lunch, or just snacks? Do any of the kids have allergies or intolerances? Will you need to organise food, or can the venue take care of it for you?
- What kind of games will the kids play? Make a list of all the supplies you will need to facilitate the games.
- How much do you want to be involved? Do you want to organise food and games, or do you want a venue that takes care of that for you?
Once you have answered these key questions, you are well on your way to planning a successful birthday party. Next step – pick the venue.
The best kids birthday party ideas in Canberra, according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
The Possum Patch at Pialligo Estate hosts birthday parties that connect children with their food, by creating experiences that share the science and wonder of growing and farming. It offers hassle-free, affordable and customisable party packages – with no mess to clean, no stressful late nights baking cakes and no last-minute blowing up balloons.
The Possum Patch’s play spaces encourage imagination and fun, and there are plenty of creative activities to keep kids entertained (think make your own pizzas, creating homemade bath products and picking fruit from the orchard for pirate sword kebabs). Party themes include teddy bears’ picnic, enchanted forest and pirate adventures.
Here’s what one parent had to say about their experience: “My daughter had a woodland/enchanted themed birthday party today and it was just fabulous. No detail was spared – from the gorgeous cubby houses and play area through to the table settings and room décor. Furthermore, the selection and quality of food provided were equally impressive! Claire and her team worked tirelessly to ensure everything was perfect for my daughter’s big day and we couldn’t be happier.”
Bowling, laser tag and a handful (or two) from the Candy Caddy can be included in Birthday packages for kids aged 5 and up. Midweek birthday specials and extra cake decorations. Who says you need to be a kid, this is a great party at any age! Google reviewer F Laimo says: “Friendly staff. Good bowling alleys. Good for birthdays parties and small groups.“
Starting at $17 per kid, birthday parties at Canberra Reptile Park are educational and fun! There are over 50 different species of reptile and frogs for the kids to meet and learn about while eating birthday cake and socialising. Owner, Peter has been a reptile lover since he was 10 years old and has grown his passion into a Zoo! Google reviewer Nico says: ‘Awesome place to have a birthday party. The show was cool, we got to meet some animals!’
With 2 great locations in Hume and Mitchell, Indoor Rock Climbing is an active birthday party for groups of 10 or more. There is access to downloadable birthday invites and no time limit for your party! Manager Riahnne started climbing for a bit of extra fitness and now she runs the show! Facebook reviewer Rachel says: ‘The girls had a great time, staff were friendly and available to assist, and the rock climbing itself was good fun.’
A favourite among Canberran’s, Power Kart Raceway hosts parties for kids aged 6-16 and offer a range of packages to suit your budget. Dan is focused on safety but at the same time makes sure all his staff are great at customer service and have a bit of fun! ‘Local Guide’ Google reviewer Cyan says: ‘Excellent experience, friendly helpful staff and great facilities.’
Your experience with kids parties in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the kids’ party ideas listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.