Kings Highway closed at Pooh Corner following massive landslide

johnboy 20 April 2012 58

landslide

The NSW RTA is showing the Kings Highway closed at Pooh Corner in both directions due to a landslide.

They advise taking the Illawarra or Snowy Mountains Highways as alternative if you’re heading to the coast this weekend.

screenshot

UPDATE: 20/04/12 14:07: The Bay Post reports the road will be closed for some time:

Both lanes of the Kings Highway are completely blocked with rubble and trees after a huge landslide on the Clyde Mountain.
Police are advising only Nelligen residents should use the Kings Highway as it is expected the highway will be closed for some time.

It is believed the cliff landslide occurred at about 1.30pm this afternoon, about 400m west of Pooh Bear corner.

It is not known at this stage if anyone is injured or any vehicles are trapped amongst the rubble, but police have inspected the site and say there are no obvious signs anyone is trapped.

[Photo posted to Facebook by Douglas J Robinson]

58 Responses to Kings Highway closed at Pooh Corner following massive landslide
HenryBG HenryBG 8:23 am 22 Apr 12

Cheap said :

Doesn’t seem very safe to stand right next to the landslide

Not very logical.
This unstable bit of ground has found a new and more stable configuration. By definition, this spot is safer than many other spots with instability not yet sufficient to trigger a slide.
Sadly, we see your sort of logic employed all the time by bureaucratic decision-makers.

The “shut the gate after the horse has bolted” cliche was invented to describe this (fairly dim) approach to risk management.

IrishPete IrishPete 6:59 am 22 Apr 12

Cheap said :

Doesn’t seem very safe to stand right next to the landslide

with no footwear or any other protective clothing…

IP

IrishPete IrishPete 6:58 am 22 Apr 12

Canberras Times now reporting that Aarluen Road is also closed in both directions: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/kings-hwy-landslide-forces-canberrans-to-change-plans-20120421-1xece.html

IP

poetix poetix 10:37 pm 21 Apr 12

BiffLoman said :

I’ve always wondered whether Nelligen is pronounced with a hard or soft ‘g’. Many thanks.

It’s pronounced with a hard ‘g’. That’s how the locals in the Steampacket say it.

SnapperJack SnapperJack 7:40 pm 21 Apr 12

The good thing about this is thinking about all those pubes who took flexidays and leave on Monday and Tuesday hoping to have an extended long weekend at the coast.

Don’tcha just love the RTA saying it will take three days to reopen the highway? Maybe the shinybums will take more leave on Thursday and Friday. Perhaps they should stay on holiday permanently. Nobody will notice the difference.

BiffLoman BiffLoman 7:18 pm 21 Apr 12

Cheap Cheap 12:06 pm 21 Apr 12

Doesn’t seem very safe to stand right next to the landslide

IrishPete IrishPete 11:22 am 21 Apr 12

and with the main bridge into Captains Flat closed to vehicles over 5T, because it’s a bit fragile at the moment, we’re probably not the best detour either. If you want to use the Araluen Road, quicker go to Braidwood on the highway, and to Araluen on sealed roads, rather than via Captains Flat which has lots of unsealed roads, and I’m not sure of the condition of the Majors Creek Mountain Road, which was closed a month or so ago, from (wait for it) landslide…

IP

DavidL DavidL 10:19 am 21 Apr 12

And the ABC News does a superb job – NOT. Although ABC News advises me that TV and radio refer to this event there is absolutely nothing on the news website. I am advised that there is no producer available and no ability to fix. Reminds me of the time when the Barton Highway was closed for three hours including peak time on a Friday night due a major accident and the only news I could find was that two ladies in Deakin had been in a minor accident and taken to Canberra Hospital for checking.

Of course other Canberra news sources also suck – I have had the Canberra Times report on another accident in the PRINT edition and nothing on their web site. Not this time though – getting better?

Ben_Dover Ben_Dover 10:10 am 21 Apr 12

We drove down Brown mountain last night. Totally clear, apart from an old granny driviving down it at 3 kph! Kil,, kill,, kill!!!!

smilesr smilesr 7:45 am 21 Apr 12

Yesterday afternoon we came to Jervis Bay via Tarago, then going through Nerriga. The Shoalhaven was pretty high at the crossing (the car behind us stopped to see if we got through first before they started) and turning ont the road that goes through Nerriga there was a lot of traffic – at the turn-off turning right onto the Princes highway from the 9km dirt road bit, the line of cars was 1km – would be nice if they had temporary traffic lights as you are turning right into a 100km zone and there is no turning lane.

Sandman Sandman 9:50 pm 20 Apr 12

johnboy said :

brown mountain is open again, but not sure you’d trust it until things dry out a bit.

Nerriga Road has 18km unsealed still. In these conditions I’d not recommend it to the inexperienced.

If you go Bungendore/Tarago/Nerriga there is only about 3km of dirt road which has been graded to perfection ready for sealing last time I went through.

As for the Araluen Rd, that used to be the Clyde alternative before the Nerriga Rd had $80million spent on it. I grew up down there (and learnt to drive on that road) and whenever the Clyde got closed due to accident you would have a steady stream in both directions. 20kph may be a bit overcautious, you just need to keep left and slow down a bit for the really blind corners. Our cars were always 2wd vans and handled the 50km of dirt in about 45 mins no worries. Might be a bit more traffic this weekend though.

Anna Key Anna Key 9:41 pm 20 Apr 12

EvanJames said :

Is Brown Mountain still closed? RTA thing seems to suggest it isn’t. The crazed Canberra drivers will NOT like the Nerriga Route, I think part of it still has (gasp) DIRT! And everyone knows, these days you can’t drive on DIRT unless you have a 4WD.

But taking the 4wd on the dirt might make it all mucky

Watson Watson 7:29 pm 20 Apr 12

poetix said :

vulpior said :

I know that when I was first here on holiday in 1996 we took the Kings Highway down to the Bay, but on the way back we drove south towards Moruya and then via Araluen. It’s certainly not very obvious as a route if you look high level at Google Maps, and I remember it was certainly not sealed.

Most is still unsealed. There are currently parts where water runs over the road to near the top of your wheels. Any more rain and it could become too dangerous. There could well be a rock-slide, or a tree falling. And as p1 pointed out, it is is very narrow. There is sometimes a sheer drop from the edge of this narrow road.

But if you put on fake American red-neck voices and don’t mind the trip to the coast taking about twice as long as normal, it’s just lovely.

I love that road. But I have to drive 20kph the whole way just to stay on the road and be prepared for the locals in their 4WDs coming round the bends. And that’s when it’s dry! I wouldn’t attempt it in the wet, I think.

Last time I drove that road I met some locals who were convinced I was lost and kept trying to redirect me to the highway. I can understand why. It’s not a shortcut if you drive an Astra. But so pretty!

longshanks longshanks 6:24 pm 20 Apr 12

johnboy said :

Brown Mountain was fine last weekend. Not sure whether the rain during the week has changed that, but we had a beautiful drive from Canberra to Bega last Sunday.

poetix poetix 5:25 pm 20 Apr 12

vulpior said :

fabforty fabforty 5:23 pm 20 Apr 12

aussielyn said :

Any news about Pooh Bear himself. Is he OK?
Is he injured & trapped inside his cave, dare I say it, entombed?

Shhhhh……… if we listen carefully, we might hear him tapping out an SOS on all those empty Bundy bottles.

EvanJames EvanJames 5:21 pm 20 Apr 12

Araluen Rd, I forgot about that. Evil RTA people at Braidwood could have some fun pointing their detour signs right, rather than left to Nerriga! Imagine the crazed ACT loons being confronted with that, oh my. Or better still, diverting them as they exit Quangers, via Captains Flat.

vulpior vulpior 4:59 pm 20 Apr 12

p1 p1 4:56 pm 20 Apr 12

poetix said :

Araluen Road is able to be driven in a rear wheel drive car. Rough, wet and scary, and Mr Poetix nearly soiled himself, but it can be done. Do not try it at night though.

It takes forever, too.

It gets pretty slow with all the turns to follow the river, and isn’t quick. Take it easy on the bends – remember there may be someone coming the other way…