News

We'll switch your business
to Led lighting for Free*

Labor and Libs on the nose to local Business

By neanderthalsis - 28 February 2008 44

Well the Canberra Times and the ABC have the story, so it must be true. A new ACT group, the Canberra Business Club, will bankroll Independant candidates at the next Shire Council (oops, Territory Legislative Assembly) elections.

The ABC story is here. and the CT one.

Could we see a return to the good old days of minority government? A gaggle of independants in the L.A. could at least have the effect of making the dominant party work hard to retain their support.

[ED (Kramer) – There’s a lot of interest on this, so much that we actually got two stories on this… Check ASP’s thoughts below]

If you’re the Liberal Party leader and you read that even business has given up on you, you know you’re in trouble. When you then read that in an election where Labor is likely to loose support and your support will either stay the same or also go south, that business will run its own parties and independents against you, you know you’re really in trouble.

If Zed reads The Canberra Times over breakfast, that’s exactly what he would have read as he sipped his herbal tea while listening to his personal theme song, Eye of the Tiger on his Ghetto Blaster.

The business community including our favourite local liquor merchant and former Liberal Party finance director Jim Murphy and former Chief Minister Kate Carnell (best known for her business aspirations for our city and paying to paint the grass green at Canberra Stadium) have lost faith in the local Libs and are bankrolling their own splinter group.

Why are they forming a new party?

“The ACT [needs] a new political party to move beyond the “elected dictatorship” of Labor and the weak Liberals”

“We need a party that defends Canberra’s interests … a Canberra-type party,”

What do you think, the Democrats were meant to be for the people and disappeared, will a part for “us” but mostly for business be good for Canberra and it’s people?

The whole story is here.

I should make it clear I am non-partisan. I hate ACT Labor at present, have no respect for the Libs (obviously) and the Greens lack strength locally. I used to support the Federal Liberals but they started to get desperate and closed to public ideas, Labor put forward better policies so I changed to them. I choose the party with the best policies at polling time and who have had the best ideas and taken the most action throughout the year. I write this with some level of impartiality so don’t accuse me of Lib bashing, lest I post a list of everything I hate about Stanhopeless. Mytaking the p*ss out of Zed is not meant to e mean but rather highlight that I think he’s driven and new to politics but has little to work with.

What’s Your opinion?

44 Responses to
Labor and Libs on the nose to local Business
Dichromate 7:35 pm 28 Feb 08

sorry about the missed letters here and there – laptop keyboard giving up the ghost

Dichromate 7:35 pm 28 Feb 08

They’ve probably been planning to do it for the last year and half.
Kent and Mulchay had a falling out around the time of the AGM last year – while Mulchay is no longer involved, Kent still has people loyal to him. To suggest that someone who was party president for that long instantly loses every single crony contact they’ve made over that time when the resign is hopelessly naive.

It is indeed interesting that Smyth, Pratt and Burke have done this – I suppose we’ll see – it’s an odd move given that they’re in a MUCH better position now then they were a year ago.
I have no bloody idea why.

They have no faith in the liberals winning majority government… it’s impossible to do in the ACT – so it’s hardly a surprise.
Of course, any independents they back will be supporting a Liberal minority government.
I mean, it looks bad in the media right now and everything, but in practicality the Liberals will still win at least 6 seats in the assembly come election time(could lose one in Fraser, but thats it – you can only fold a piece of paper so many times), so if the three independents backed here get through, we have liberal minority government, and an end to the Stanhope Regime.

neanderthalsis 5:17 pm 28 Feb 08

Maybe they too will split from the party come election time. Could we see a coalition of conservative independantsor even a new conservative force on the local scene?

Crikey 4:59 pm 28 Feb 08

Dickromate, the only problem with your argument is that Kent and Mulchay are no longer involved with the Liberals. I could understand if Paddy Murphy did this before they left BUT they have done this post-Mulchay and Kent. So it is obvious that this business group have no faith in the ACT Liberals.

Also, as an obvious Liberal, what is your stance on Smyth, the Pratt and the Burke attending the launch of a group who will challenge the Liberals at the next poll?

Ralph 4:37 pm 28 Feb 08

Indeed, says it all.

And after fires, broadband taxes, running a deficit through the country’s biggest ever housing boom, 5 star jails, activist judges, bankrupt schools and hospitals, and the list goes on and on, they will vote for them again.

Thumper 4:11 pm 28 Feb 08

And they voted for Stanhope?

Said heads need reading…

Mælinar 3:52 pm 28 Feb 08

@Jazz – from what I understand, as the story goes, its because in Canberra people vote by first engaging their heads and making a decision, instead of turning on the I’ll just show up on the day and the first person to give me a flyer gets my vote reasoning that the rest of the country apparently does.

pierce 3:46 pm 28 Feb 08

Maybe it’s the higher than average education level Jazz 🙂

Jazz 3:42 pm 28 Feb 08

I’ve always wondered what it is exactly that makes this a ‘labor’ town.

I think we self perpetrate the myth by pretending that the number of public servants living in canberra are better off under a labor govt than liberal.

IMO it really makes no difference.

Dichromate 3:00 pm 28 Feb 08

Well Crickey – you’re missing the fact that this is coming about because of Gary Kent and Richard Mulchay fucking up the party and driving away ACT businesses.
On the comment that Mulchay should have waited –
NO. This is -because- of Mulchay, Jim Murphy will make damn sure Mulchay doesn’t see a single cent.
Mulchay’s fate is sealed.

The really amusing thing is that this makes a liberal government that much MORE likely.

The Liberals NEVER held more then 7 seats in the assembly. For fucks sake, this is Canberra, the only time the liberals ever got enough of the vote in any part of this city to “win” government was in the 1995 Canberra by-election, when the previous sitting member had been stood down due to corruption. (and in 1996, the seat went back to labor) – I realize that was federal and this is local, but it’s a pretty clear indication as to how much of a labor town this is.
The only way for liberals to hold government has always been to gain the support of Liberal-leaning independents.

S4anta 2:38 pm 28 Feb 08

Crikey,
Perhaps their actions are an example of a more ‘liberal’ definition of the terms ‘oxymoron’ and ‘hypocricy’?

Crikey 2:26 pm 28 Feb 08

Let me get this straight. Liberal’s Smyth, Pratt and Burke attend the launch of a new pro-business political organisation that will fund and support business candidates against the Liberals at the next election.

So after a sneaky campaign by Smyth, Pratt and Burke to have Richard Mulcahy sacked form the Liberal Party for “disloyalty” – Zed and the party think it is fine for Smyth, Pratt and Burke to attend this launch.

What am I missing here?

Mr Evil 1:23 pm 28 Feb 08

“Stephen Byron should be installed as leader of ACT Liberals, immediately.”

Please tell me you’re joking, Ralph!

sepi 1:11 pm 28 Feb 08

We’ve had a Raider as an MLA already – worst MLA ever. And Mal Meniga lasted as long as his first radio interview and then gave up mid sentence.

Ricahrd Mulcahy should have waited a bit longer for his dummy spit – he could have quietly joined ths splinter group.

S4anta 10:59 am 28 Feb 08

Skids,
I was thinking more of disenfranchised whineing propellerhead (i.e. 99% of the commenters here)…