Lake George – Australia’s Bermuda Triangle of Mystery?

Ralph 16 August 2005 44

Local cryptonaturalist, Tim the Yowie Man, will be presenting lectures on mysterious phenomena this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as part of the Australian Science Festival.

Can water in Lake George really vanish into thin air?

This week, as part of the Australian Science Festival, Canberra cryptonaturalist, Tim the Yowie Man, will delve into the unusual science behind many of the world’s mysterious phenomena, including the Canberra region’s very own Lake George.

When? 1pm – 1:45pm. Wednesday August 17, Thursday, August 18 and Friday August 19.
Where? Nicholls Theatre, National Convention Centre, Canberra.
Bookings? 6207 5901.
Cost: $3.

Further details are available at the Science Festival site.

44 Responses to Lake George – Australia’s Bermuda Triangle of Mystery?
1 2 3 Next »
Absent Diane Absent Diane 4:11 pm 16 Aug 05

who is this yowie man character – I have heard his name mentioned a lot… espesh around the whole cadbury debate….. what is his so called claim to fame…

bulldog bulldog 3:50 pm 16 Aug 05

As mentioned previously I used to live out that way, never saw or felt anything remotely eerie myself.

However my uncle (who is not one to fool around) swears black and blue he watched a UFO float around for a good three quarters of an hour one night. Even called CSIRO to report it and was told by the astro-nerd on the other end of the phone that there are many sighting reported (as justbands conspiracy books will tell you).

Macca, It may be worth pointing out that for $3 a head admittance, I don’t think Tim the Yowie Stooge is going to buy that yacht he always wanted…

I too am dubious of his skills, knowledge alleged fame (?), but let’s be fair and call a spade a spade.

Absent Diane Absent Diane 3:44 pm 16 Aug 05

bugger radio for a trip… it can’t satisfy my eclectic taste

terubo terubo 3:36 pm 16 Aug 05

One more now, Mael.,
ABC News Radio on 103.9FM.
-A little more informative than Eagle. Just slightly.

Maelinar Maelinar 3:27 pm 16 Aug 05

As a complete heathen, I mutter to myself ‘only one bloody radio station – Eagle FM, Shit…’

Absent Diane Absent Diane 3:16 pm 16 Aug 05

What would a nihilist, drive past chanting – I believe in nothing, I believe in nothing… hehe

Ralph Ralph 3:11 pm 16 Aug 05

If you’re a Catholic you could make a sign of the cross and mutter a few Hail Marys to yourself….

Absent Diane Absent Diane 3:07 pm 16 Aug 05

it certainly is – always gets me thinking

Thumper Thumper 3:01 pm 16 Aug 05

AD,

thats why I ask a simple question, that being, allow me to pass safely….

It is one weird place….

Absent Diane Absent Diane 2:54 pm 16 Aug 05

sorry should of read spirits at lake george – which are quantifiable with others stories

Absent Diane Absent Diane 2:52 pm 16 Aug 05

I know ‘straight down the line’ people who have seen spirits…my spine always tingles when I go past it at night…. I don’t know though I am caught in this bizarre realm of being someone who loves the fantasy of ghosts and UFO’s and being a cynical bastard

Thumper Thumper 2:41 pm 16 Aug 05

Yeah,

I’ve heard of that before but have’nt read much about it.

I would suggest that a lot of sightings are lights that are reflecting on the water a long way out.

At night your vision and spacial awareness is quite often disoriented.

justbands justbands 2:37 pm 16 Aug 05

My UFO books at home are all full of Lake George stories…one of the most active UFO sighting areas in the world.

Thumper Thumper 2:24 pm 16 Aug 05

Indi,

Nah mate. Just a quick thought when driving past.

Told you it was silly….

btw, not tribes, clan groups…

Cheers

Indi Indi 1:55 pm 16 Aug 05

Thumper – am I to take it literally that before one intends to head down the freeway to Sydney, you should call up the local tribe to ask for permission to pass?

Macca Macca 11:50 am 16 Aug 05

Some would know that I am not a fan of Tim the Yowie man (moneymakeist-mugontveeous). Not sure if he could be classed as a Cryptonaturalist more like a mediaexploitist for own personal gain.
But it is good to see that someone is talking about this very strange and at times eerie place in our region.
There’s always been the going theory that there is a underwater cave system that leads to New Zealand but that can’t be right as they turn up at Bondi :).
I remember when it had water up to nearly the roadway and that made it every a more eerie place.
It sure has the reputation until they put in the double lanes that it was a high accident area which probably added more to its mystery.

terubo terubo 11:24 am 16 Aug 05

“Can water in Lake George really vanish into thin air?”
-Place to site the new Assembly, then?

Thumper Thumper 10:38 am 16 Aug 05

I’m not Aboriginal but I did study a lot of Indigenous culture and beliefs.

I figure they’ve been here for a hell of a long time, possibly 60K years, so they must know something that we don’t.

Ralph Ralph 10:35 am 16 Aug 05

I guess this is my cultural heritage/ anthropological background coming out.

So are you saying you have aboriginal ancestry? A great great grandmother on my mother’s side of the family was apparently an abbo. Probably explains why I like to drink.

Back to the lake, I reckon there is some sort of energy grid around the lake – owing to all the acquifers that flow into it.

Thumper Thumper 10:26 am 16 Aug 05

Big lake surface area which equates to massive evaporation.

Also it is fed by an aquifier on the western boundary behind the hills.

No mystery there.

As for drownings on the lake, it is very shallow and in a depression therefore wind gusts tend to whip up a chop rather than a swell which is much more dangerous for small boats.

However, I have an Aboriginal friend who told me that it is/ was an area that contained a secret womens place and that it does have mythical/ cultural significance to Indigenous people.

Many strange reports of paranormal/ unusual occurances and happenings have been reported over the years.

I for one, always ask permission from the guardians/spirits of the lake before I pass it. It may seem silly, but why take the chance. I guess this is my cultural heritage/ anthropological background coming out.

Interestingly Lake Bathurst, which is not that far away, is another place that has recording numerous strange occurances.

1 2 3 Next »