Lake George Filling. Images of Canberra

johnboy 6 March 2012 35

lake george

Rich took this great picture of Lake George filling up on his phone and sent it in.

Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com .

UPDATE 06/03/12 10:40: Ben_Dover has sent in this pano:

panorama

35 Responses to Lake George Filling. Images of Canberra
Holden Caulfield 10:41 am 07 Mar 12

[quote comment="390474"][quote comment="390460"][quote comment="390349"]It was chockers when we first got posted to Canberra, early 2000. The water was lapping the drainage ditches alongside the highway. It was a spectacular sight!

[/quote]

I think your times may be a little off...[/quote]

it was bone dry in 2002 - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/11/29/1038386313869.html[/quote]

Didn't take long for it to empty, though.

I can't remember it lapping the edges of the road in 2000, but I do remember it was up there not long before they started duplication of the Fed Hwy, which was completed in time for the Olympic Games in Sydney.

At the time I wondered how well the drainage systems would cope and would the road ever get flooded. Ha, that has so far proved to be a pointless thought.

Thumper 10:32 am 07 Mar 12

[quote comment="390488"]When I was a kid, Lake George being mostly full was its normal state, and we got excited when the levels went down. Now it's the reverse. I think the farmer has got used to having much bigger paddocks than he should have.[/quote]

And his sheep will have to learn how to swim again...

EvanJames 10:20 am 07 Mar 12

Jivrashia 9:50 am 07 Mar 12

[quote comment="390456"][quote comment="390441"]I've heard rumours that Lake George is connected through subterranean channels with some lake in China.[/quote]

No, no, no!

It's a lake in New Zealand :)[/quote]

Correct.

It's Lake Wakatipu next to Queenstown in the southern island, which has dried up.

I have my sauce, made from 100% cow manure.

colourful sydney racing identity 9:43 am 07 Mar 12

[/quote]

I think your times may be a little off...[/quote]

dungfungus 9:22 am 07 Mar 12

[quote comment="390361"][quote comment="390349"]If only they would dig the bugger down another 100m and fill it with Cod, trout and Yellowbelly, it would make a great tourist attraction![/quote]

If you can source a few nukes we can give it a whirl........

Let's limit the fish stocking to native varieties please. No trout.

colourful sydney racing identity 9:08 am 07 Mar 12

[/quote]

I think your times may be a little off...

Thumper 9:02 am 07 Mar 12

[quote comment="390441"]I've heard rumours that Lake George is connected through subterranean channels with some lake in China. Anyone got any pics of the Chinese lake, presumably it's drying up right about now?[/quote]

No, no, no!

It's a lake in New Zealand :)

dungfungus 8:47 am 07 Mar 12

I am sure the Greens have got one.

yellowsnow 11:52 pm 06 Mar 12

Bramina 10:49 pm 06 Mar 12

[quote comment="390349"]It was chockers when we first got posted to Canberra, early 2000. The water was lapping the drainage ditches alongside the highway. It was a spectacular sight![/quote]

I've heard rumours of the lake back in the day and have always wanted to see it flooded.

andym 4:25 pm 06 Mar 12

If you can source a few nukes we can give it a whirl........

Captain RAAF 3:56 pm 06 Mar 12

EvanJames 3:10 pm 06 Mar 12

Yeah, when I had another look I realised the Fed. must be underneath the photographer's spot. Possibly up on the winery, or as you say, Marked Tree Rd.

Holden Caulfield 2:52 pm 06 Mar 12

[quote comment="390232"][quote comment="390213"]I don't recognise the landscape...

Which vantage point is that?[/quote]

If those are the windmills visible through the mist on the left, then it's from the Federal Hwy, on the Collector end.[/quote]

Looks a bit higher up to me, probably on Marked Tree Road. There's some great vantage points up there. It is dirt/gravel but I've managed to negotiate it a few times in my nippy hatchback on low profile tyres. And if you start at the northern end (ie. roughly where that pic was taken) and keep going you end up in Gundaroo so you can enjoy a meal at Grazing before going back to Canberra.

GardeningGirl 1:43 pm 06 Mar 12

Great pics, thank you both. We've been wondering how Lake George is looking.

EvanJames 10:17 am 06 Mar 12

[quote comment="390213"]I don't recognise the landscape...

Which vantage point is that?[/quote]

Jivrashia 9:40 am 06 Mar 12

I don't recognise the landscape...

Which vantage point is that?

Rawhide Kid Part3 9:26 am 06 Mar 12

I reckon it'll be full by the end of the month.

G-Fresh 9:08 am 06 Mar 12

Fill Fill Fill!!!

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.