Laurence chains himself to the Optus service desk

johnboy 29 June 2012 47
laurence and the optus help desk

Laurence Kain is a pretty good guy and a recent interview subject.

So we’re a little surprised to hear the HonkyTonks co-owner has been chaining himself to the Optus help desk.

laurence and security

47 Responses to Laurence chains himself to the Optus service desk
Thumper Thumper 6:55 pm 30 Jun 12

Good on him.

Service these days from so called service providers is virtually non existant.

bigred bigred 6:46 pm 30 Jun 12

Well I am impressed. We begrudgingly accept bad service too often and this guy has said “enough”. He hasn’t hurt anyone and made his point in his own way. Congratulations to Laurence.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 4:24 pm 30 Jun 12

Kimjongill said :

thehutch said :

Or you could be an adult and complain to the TIO…

If I don’t like the service at Honkytonks and make a few complaints to the manager (who probably won’t fix it) should I then go and chain myself to the Honkytonks bar?

If you don’t like the service go right ahead and chain yourself up, then you can have 3 x 150kg + security guards come over and hasstle you out just like I did + the police.

I just really don’t think you have the balls to do something like that if you did you might show more respect to someone who does instead you hide behind the convenient veil of an internet forum and post negative comments.

This protest was not just about me getting my account sorted out it was about showing big companies that consumers are not ok with them taking our cash and not providing after sales service.

You realise your security cannot legally do anything to anyone besides ask them to leave? Also being 150 kilos means nothing besides they would be incredibly easy to take down if needed. Don’t talk like that, it’s incredibly gross and also ridiculous.

Having said that, I applaud you. I wish there was more to be done about incompetent telecoms. But from my experience the peeps in the shop can’t do anything besides ring the higher ups, who generally refuse to do anything besides tell the customer to suck eggs.
Your stunt, while did nothing to help your case ATM, will hopefully bring attention to Optus as a crap service and cause higher up to act. Good luck.

CoffinRX2 CoffinRX2 4:17 pm 30 Jun 12

For those critisizing Laurence for doing this, you all should get a life. It’s good that he made a stand to show companies like this that its not acceptable that their levels of service these days are sh*t. I had problems with optus before as well (not to the extent as this case) where transferring a personal mobile to a business name where I was the sole director/shareholder was too much hassle for them.

I also must say that in a previous role I’ve dealt with Laurence and his staff at one of his previous employers, and his team always did everything they could to ensure their customers were treated well and had a good time, … its a pity that all businesses these days dont have that attitude

Dilandach Dilandach 2:32 pm 30 Jun 12

I had a similar experience with optus (not the chaining myself to the desk bit though). I had ordered a new phone, got confirmation and was given an order number. After a week of nothing, I thought i’d ask “where is it?” After speaking with 9 people, and after 4 hours of solid talking to optus people. I finally found out that the initial order never went through and the order number I got was for someone else of the same name in a different state that ordered a phone last year.

For those that care, I’ve upped the webchats which are only really a slice of the whole drama.

*Names removed to protect the innocent.

Kimjongill Kimjongill 10:36 am 30 Jun 12

thehutch said :

Or you could be an adult and complain to the TIO…

ChrisinTurner ChrisinTurner 10:19 am 30 Jun 12

I don’t think Optus management have any idea how hard it is to deal with their customer support people in the Phillipines. I formally complained and was only told that my comments would be passed back to the call-centre, not to Optus management in Australia.

trevar trevar 9:09 am 30 Jun 12

Awesome! Laurence Kain is my favourite person today!

I had a business account with Optus and spent two and a half years dealing with their pathetic excuse for customer service over a number of different issues. The longest of these took eighteen months to resolve. While trying to deal with the last of them, I found out about the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (ombudsman is such a stupid word!) and it was resolved within three weeks.

One of my favourite interactions with Optus was the day when they rang me asking how my service was after I had already decided to terminate our service with them when our contracts expired (three months away). I told them this and they asked what the problem was, so I told them, and they put me through to someone else saying “I’ll let them know what the issue has been so you don’t have to explain again”. When they put me through, the person I got had no idea what the problem was, so I still had to explain again. Then they said “oh, you’re a personal customer and you’ve got the business section, so I’ll transfer you. I’ll explain what the problem is, so you don’t have to go over it again”. And the same thing happened. Almost. The difference was they said I’m a business customer and transferred me back. Then I had the same conversation a third time and they tried to transfer me again, but no one answered. So I had a good laugh. Glad to be rid of them!

dpm dpm 7:49 am 30 Jun 12

ROFL! Awesome!!

Lookout Smithers Lookout Smithers 3:46 am 30 Jun 12

I’m guessing the camera crew was to suggest a media frenzy might follow giving Optus bad press? Did it work? I am surprised that a chown form to get filled out and submitted took so long. Pretty usual delay on them to go through Optus internal QA but three months means something on that form wasn’t filled out or the franchise owner is f***ing bereft of their obligations in being a premium dealer for them. Its a really simple thing to get done and I know being a former employee of them in Melbourne office. Shocking.

MJay MJay 2:26 am 30 Jun 12

In my experience Optus shops are useless, the staff can’t seem to do anything beyond selling you a phone. As soon as you want to port a number, change your details etc they tell you to ring the call centre as they can’t do it in their stores. (though, they will let you use their phone call the call centre…) And now I am no longer with them 🙂

“photos and videos of the protest are attached to this email”

Come on JB, where is the video?

Evil_Kitten Evil_Kitten 1:50 am 30 Jun 12

That security guard is totally checking out your package.

CoffinRX2 CoffinRX2 12:33 am 30 Jun 12

Hahaha top work Laurence!

thehutch thehutch 10:29 pm 29 Jun 12

Kimjongill said :

thehutch said :

Or you could be an adult and complain to the TIO…

Bad service at honkytonks does not cost you 5 hours time on hold to a off shore call centre while you bill gets sent to the wrong address under the wrong name and your service gets cut off not to mention 3 months of frustration. If you don’t like the service at Honkytonks I invite you to go to the bar down the road.

So Optus breached their contract with you – sue them. With the 3million turnover each year you can afford it… or, if you dont like, take your phone business to one of the other phone companies down the road.

In either case, solve problems like an adult.

poetix poetix 10:08 pm 29 Jun 12

The repetition of the word knob brought home something to me that I’d never noticed before. Nob means a person of high status or someone’s head. Knob is the opposite, almost. Totally irrelevant to the thread, of course, but interesting.

Normal service can resume now. When we last met Optimus Prime had defected to the Decepticons…

1337Hax0r 1337Hax0r 9:03 pm 29 Jun 12

I like this approach. Can I please have an invite to the next event? I’d like to take along some popcorn and a video camera. I’ve been having my own issues with a mobile provider of late. I think I might head off to Bunnings myself soon.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 8:32 pm 29 Jun 12

Kimjongill said :

Yes I am a total knob, it is one of my personal attributes I pride myself on. Thanks for picking up on that, my wardrobe this morning was carefully selected to make me look as much like a knob as possible. I think I achieved the desired effect.

…sounds like a knob, too. 😀

Apsara Apsara 8:30 pm 29 Jun 12

My dealings with Optus

1) Had Optus home phone at our address for 3 years before going on 2 year overseas posting. When we returned and rang Optus up to have the home phone reconnected, it took them 3 weeks and $427 worth of mobile calls – all for them to tell us the problem was our address. It didn’t exist in their system, apparently. Even though we had Optus without a problem at the same address 5 years ago.

2) Moved house to another newish suburb in the same area. Optus did not have this suburb listed in their system so the helpful overseas call centre girl suggested I choose another suburb with the same postcode as my address. I thought it was so hilarious that I suggested she pick the suburb. She chose “Ginnindera Village”. My postie was furious, as every Optus bill he delivered always had big red texta saying “THIS STREET IS NOT IN GINNINDERA VILLAGE” (Capitals by Postie)

Needless to say I won’t touch Optus again

Archer Archer 8:28 pm 29 Jun 12

Kimjongill said :

thehutch said :

Or you could be an adult and complain to the TIO…

Unfortunately you can only complain to the TIO if you business turns under $3 million PA, unfortunately in this case I do not fall into that category but thanks for the suggestion.

Actually anyone is able to go to the TIO. That is the point of the TIO, to represent everyone.

Archer Archer 8:02 pm 29 Jun 12

Best service? Surprisingly Vodafone. Been with so many Telcos over the years and Vodafone honestly is the best I have ever been with. Would really recommend them and the improvements in their network (finally) are amazing. I have seen a decent improvement over the last 3 months to the point where I will renew when my contract comes up. Wasn’t planning on it but the customer service and the improved network are leading me to that decision. Worst would be Telstra, without a doubt, even their TIO department was horrendous to deal with.

Region Group Pty Ltd