Liberal Member for Brindabella Mark Parton will this week call on the Legislative Assembly for the Government to adopt measures to improve road safety around Mt Taylor.
He said the growing popularity of Mt Taylor as a recreational area was creating headaches for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, and the safety of the parking area and surrounding amenities needed to be improved.
“Thousands of residents and visitors to Canberra are drawn to Mt Taylor for its spectacular views, walking and cycling trails,” he said.
“However, as Mt Taylor’s popularity increases, concern is growing over the lack of infrastructure to facilitate pedestrian, cyclist or motorist safety when entering or departing the Mt Taylor parking area.”
Mr Parton will call on the Government to improve safe entry and exits points to Mt Taylor and to provide features such as a bike lane, footpath, clear signage and lighting.
Specifically, he wants the Government to:
- Provide visible and safe entry and exit points to the Mt Taylor carpark on Sulwood Drive with defined safe crossings for pedestrians and cyclists
- Install lighting and a bin in the parking area
- Consider changes to improve the intersection of Mannheim Street and Sulwood Drive with regard to the safety of motorists, cyclists and pedestrians
- Extend the footpath on Mannheim Street from MacKay Crescent to Sulwood Drive
- Investigate a dedicated bike lane on Sulwood Drive
“I understand Labor member Chris Steel has been in conversation with residents who have shared similar concerns and so I am hopeful that I will have his and the Government’s full support to implement these vital improvements to public safety,” Mr Parton said.
“I hope to see the thousands of Canberra residents who visit Mt Taylor enjoy its beauty and recreational assets without fear for their safety.”