This morning the Liberals were in the highest of dudgeons after Labor’s John Hargreaves said something mean about the Liberals’ Vicki Dunne in the Legislative Assembly last Thursday.
“I was appalled by the distasteful behaviour shown by John Hargreaves in the Chamber late on Thursday, when he made derogatory and sexist statements about by my Liberal colleague Vicki Dunne,” Zed said.
Mr Hargreaves was overheard relaying the comments to his front bench colleagues including Chief Minister, Katy Gallagher and Deputy Chief Minister, Andrew Barr.
“I wrote to the Chief Minister on Friday seeking an explanation on this latest incident. This morning I received an unsatisfactory response from Katy Gallagher which apologises ‘for any offence taken’ rather than the disgraceful comments themselves.
“This sort of behaviour is reprehensive and has no place in the Assembly or the public. No female worker should be subject to offensive comments about their bodies; it is completely unacceptable and warrants condemnation from all sides of politics.
We enquired as to what exactly had been said but were told it was only available on background. However as a local tree killing publication has chosen to publish it we feel it’s fair game now.
As it was told to RiotACT the Liberals’ Vicki Dunne had remarked that a Government program of some sort was going “pear shaped” and Mr Hargreaves rejoined that she’d know all about that.
Yes, this is the cause, many days later, of squeals of outrage and offense.
So here’s our take on it.
- 1. Most objective observers would consider that describing Vicki Dunne as “pear shaped” is generous, especially considering this body type can be used to describe Jennifer Lopez (pictured).
2. Considering some of John Hargreaves other drunken antics this seems like a pretty low range offence.
3. If the outrage distracts attention from pocketing volunteer relief money then being silly might be understandable.
4. We’re not entirely sure what “reprehensive” is.
5. The tree killers are some years behind the times if they think Mr Hargreaves is in the Cabinet.
Not Canberra politics’ finest day all round really.
[Photo Credit: Jawalls]