News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Belconnen Foreshore sexual assault?

By notbothered - 3 April 2009 42

Hi,

Just hoping some one might have some info about an apparent gang rape that happened outside the Subway in Belconnen. Hopefully some witnesses?! The two girls that were assaulted are in a fairly serious condition, and all that’s known about the offenders is that they were of polynesian appearance and that there were four of them and one female.

Also Canberra hospitals suck, as when they went in to get a rape kit (after being bashed, stomped on etc, as I said serious condition) they were told to “wait” How are the police supposed to do their job, if the hospitals wont do theirs?!

[ED – If you have information best to contact Crimestoppers rather than post it here.]

What’s Your opinion?

42 Responses to
Belconnen Foreshore sexual assault?
Granny 3:59 pm 06 Apr 09

And likewise if the police do want information from the public, you would think they would also be quite capable of issuing media releases to said editor.

notbothered 3:45 pm 06 Apr 09

I’m sure if the police don’t want this up they would ask the editor to remove it.

Granny 3:35 pm 06 Apr 09

If the police have chosen not to release this, are you sure it is helpful for you to take it upon yourself to do so?

notbothered 3:33 pm 06 Apr 09

Colourful – nope no race baiting, I wouldve stated that it was 4 caucasian guys or asian guys or whatever other race they may have been if that was the case. It just happens to be that was how they were described.
Thanks Caf, as you said not everything gets reported. The girls were in the middle of a statement when they were taken to hospital, so I’m not certain that they’ve even completed it yet.
Qbn Gal – I hardly think its inaccurate when it comes straight from the victim. I understand that working in a hospital is a stressful job before they start getting complaints about lack of service, I’m just letting everyone know that in this particular instance that is what happened.
Bailes23 – It happened before midnight, which is why I’m on here hoping for witnesses, although I’m not entirely sure how many people would admit that they saw something.

BTW, it was an unprovoked attack, so I’m not sure that that really helps police investigations, as there are not alot of places to start.

colourful sydney rac 12:41 pm 06 Apr 09

Hmmmn, nothing from the police, op mentions ‘polynesian appearance’, is this just race baiting?

caf 11:37 am 06 Apr 09

We’ve seen in the past that the police don’t put out immediate media releases on everything – I suppose it comes down to the individual case and whether they feel that their investigations will be hindered or helped by more publicity.

The Brad 11:04 am 06 Apr 09

Tooks said :

Perhaps there has been no word from police because it either wasn’t reported to them, or this incident never occurred.

I was thinking the same thing. 2 girls hideously raped in an open area, and no record of this incident.
How do you know the Police have no leads. Unless you work with them, you have no idea what they’ve uncovered.

Sorry for being cynical, but until there’s an official word from an official source, this story reeks of a successful troll report.

Qbn Gal 11:00 am 06 Apr 09

If these girls were transported to hospital by ambulance, then you can bet it was reported to Police. And as we haven’t seen mention of it in the Police Wrap, but there has been mention of an attempted sexual assault in Civic, then I think it would be fair to assume that this incident didn’t happen.

Tooks 10:56 am 06 Apr 09

Qbn Gal 10:50 am 06 Apr 09

I find it hard to believe that a patient, “unresponsive to light and had lost consciousness for however” would have been placed in a waiting room. For a start she would have had 4 hours of neuro obs following an unconsious period. I’d check the facts before posting something that criticises the care our hospital staff provide. The medical/nursing staff have enough to deal within the system without fingers being pointed by the public without accurate facts.

And I agree with Granny, where are the police facts.

bailes23 9:59 am 06 Apr 09

What time did this occur? Wednesday nights are the busiest night for the lighthouse (Uni students night). The foreshore area is normally pretty busy until around 2am. Good chance there might be a witness if it wasn’t too late.

Let’s hope they catch these guys.

Granny – I also find it strange that there’s been no official police statements.

Granny 8:49 pm 05 Apr 09

I would have thought the police would have issued some kind of statement by now.

ant 8:24 pm 05 Apr 09

The whole thing is very disappointing, and I’m sure most if not all people expect better. I hope there’s a proper investigation into the entire affair.

notbothered 8:16 pm 05 Apr 09

Clearly if I was the person then I’ve got no problems, it was a horrible thing that happened and as there are no witnesses that will come forward, perhaps knowing some details will encourage someone.
I’m more concerned about the lack of response from the hospital, and it’s not only on this occasion that they’ve failed to be attentive.
The police have no leads, there are no cctv’s and no witnesses just 2 girls that were quite injured and probably not the best people to call on to re-count a description of the offenders.
There’s not much else I’d be bothered telling as far as the injuries go, but if they were serious enough to require an ambulance, why did they end up back in a waiting room?!

Genie 7:36 pm 05 Apr 09

Notbothered –

Don’t you think you are sharing with us a little bit too much information !? Surely if there was a police investigation they wouldn’t appreciate everything being leaked.
It sounds like you known or were the person assaulted – did you think maybe they dont want to details posted ??