Community

Your convenient chemist with the biggest range of Beanie Boo’s in CBR

“Like Canberra”? A list compiled after a heavy blow to the head?

By johnboy - 14 January 2013 82

only in canberra

The “Like Canberra” website is looking for votes having proudly taken in the public’s nominations.

[The tiled interface is a particular mess, because the world loves Windows 8 right? (er…)]

I was intrigued by the “Only in Canberra” tile. And what a cornucopia of bollocks it is!

Is this really the best we can do?

Highlights for mine include:

— Dress up parties
    — The Canberra Times
    — volunteering
    — grand architecture
    — Canberra is a global village
    — Pretty City

I’m buggered if I can see anything there that is completely unique to Canberra.

Anyone else waded deep enough into the website to find any other gems?

What’s Your opinion?

82 Responses to
“Like Canberra”? A list compiled after a heavy blow to the head?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
poetix 10:15 am 15 Jan 13

NoAddedMSG said :

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

where”s the Manuka being pronounced marnika option i thought that would get into quirky stuff 🙁

Today I had a chat with a person in NZ who checked his Maori dictionary, and ‘Marnika’ is the correct pronunciation. The choice of name dates back to when it looked like NZ might join Australia. Pakeha often stuff it up in NZ, too.

Sorry, can’t let that one stand….. The Canberran “Marnika” is not remotely close to how the Maori word is pronounced. I would be highly suss of NZer who had to consult a Maori dictionary for pronounciation anyway, because of the way the written language works once you know a few basic rules it is possible to accurately pronounce pretty much every word including the ones you haven’t encountered before. The main bit is the vowel sounds which differ to how they are in English, and they are drilled in at primary school through a series of songs which stick in your head forever.

I am now going to go and walk the dog, singing “Oma r?peti, oma r?peti, Oma, oma, oma, Oma r?peti, oma r?peti” as I go…….

Fair enough, I will tell my friend how sus his grasp of Maori is! On top of the Black Caps, too.

Ben_Dover 8:44 am 15 Jan 13

Can we have a concerted and organised effort by the Riotact faithful to guarantee that the most ridiculous choices make it to the top.

Loxmyf 8:29 am 15 Jan 13

Where’s the “Swideswipin’ cyclists in muh Tradie ute”?

But I guess categorisation would be an issue. Does it fit in Cultural vibe, Canberra-only events, Lots to do, Sporting events, Family fun, or Opportunities?

Thumper 8:11 am 15 Jan 13

This really is pointlessly braindead.

I mean seriously,you can do pretty much all of these things anywhere.

Well, except like Charny.

Deref 8:10 am 15 Jan 13

miz said :

And FWIW, I agree with the general ‘god what a horrible website’ comments.

Clearly designed by someone who’s fallen deeply in love with Microsoft’s Metro interface.

NoAddedMSG 7:34 am 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

PantsMan 7:01 am 15 Jan 13

I clicked on “Politics and Government” and was confronted with

* “Leading the Nation on climate change”
* “Open government”
* “Having our own Legislative Assembly”
* “Government departments are of a high quality” and
* “Andrew Barr”.

I could not find “A Fabian socialist government that co-opts the Centenary of Canberra it inflict Goebbels-esque propaganda upon the seemingly acquiescent citizenry, while fudging hospital waiting list data”, so I didn’t vote.

poetix 11:26 pm 14 Jan 13

Under ‘Infrastructure’ it says, rather strangely, ‘The best universities in Canberra!’ You don’t need a degree to see that was meant to say Australia, and probably will, very soon.

flyingpuck 10:49 pm 14 Jan 13

Another gem from the site, under ‘Multiculturalism’:
“Being free to wear my burqa”.
Yup, I can definitely relate to that one…
Maybe this is one of those marketing ploys where they deliberately make the content groan-inducing to polarise and inspire debate and discussion about a certain topic? At least we’re talking about the Centenary, right?

vulpior 10:20 pm 14 Jan 13

poetix said :

Oh God! I just inadvertently voted for ‘the odd mix of establishments in Fyshwick’. I clicked the square thinking it would open up with more information. That’s one way to get votes.

You’re not the only one!

GardeningGirl 9:28 pm 14 Jan 13

Canberra-only events. Carols by Candlelight and fireworks. Dunno what I’ve been watching on tv from interstate then?

Girt_Hindrance 8:32 pm 14 Jan 13

bigfeet said :

dpm said :

EvanJames said :

And why 100? Artibrary number. Why not 50? or 35? Or all the good ones?

Centenary?

Well the original media release and the website both said you would be able to vote for ALL submissions.

I can’t seem to find the ones I submitted in relation to the lax and inefficient justice system.

Hahahaha! Gold.

miz 8:09 pm 14 Jan 13

And FWIW, I agree with the general ‘god what a horrible website’ comments.

miz 8:08 pm 14 Jan 13

The only unique thing I can see is under Environment – ‘a horizon full of mountains including the Brindabellas’.

Certainly it is unique to be able to see the Brindabellas from practically everywhere in Canberra. If you can’t – I’m sorry.

I sincerely hope we don’t lose this in the name of ‘progress’.

RedDogInCan 7:05 pm 14 Jan 13

johnboy said :

I’m thinking this is why you need to curate user-generated data.

A basic spell check even.

“Only in Canberra – Dress up parties” – I obviously never get invited to those type of parties.

bigfeet 6:49 pm 14 Jan 13

dpm said :

EvanJames said :

And why 100? Artibrary number. Why not 50? or 35? Or all the good ones?

Centenary?

poetix 6:03 pm 14 Jan 13

Tymefor said :

Wellington Sludge 5:22 pm 14 Jan 13

“Cinema, Arts, Culture and Music” has the national franchise of Dendy, but doesn’t mention Arc Cinema at NFSA, the ANU Film Group, Lights! Canberra! Action! or the local Reel McCoy and Big House film societies?

I call BS on this whole campaign.

gazket 5:12 pm 14 Jan 13