Community

Quality childcare in a
welcoming & supportive environment

“Like Canberra”? A list compiled after a heavy blow to the head?

By johnboy - 14 January 2013 82

only in canberra

The “Like Canberra” website is looking for votes having proudly taken in the public’s nominations.

[The tiled interface is a particular mess, because the world loves Windows 8 right? (er…)]

I was intrigued by the “Only in Canberra” tile. And what a cornucopia of bollocks it is!

Is this really the best we can do?

Highlights for mine include:

— Dress up parties
    — The Canberra Times
    — volunteering
    — grand architecture
    — Canberra is a global village
    — Pretty City

I’m buggered if I can see anything there that is completely unique to Canberra.

Anyone else waded deep enough into the website to find any other gems?

What’s Your opinion?

82 Responses to
“Like Canberra”? A list compiled after a heavy blow to the head?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
poetix 8:23 pm 15 Jan 13

LSWCHP said :

poetix said :

Oh God! I just inadvertently voted for ‘the odd mix of establishments in Fyshwick’. I clicked the square thinking it would open up with more information. That’s one way to get votes.

I’ve worked in Fyshwick for nearly 25 years, the last 20 or so years one door down from a knocking shop. So thank you for your vote, even if it was unintentional.. We Fyshwick non-sex workers need all the morale boosting we can get. 🙂

So long as it’s only your morale…

And, as we push this thread inevitably towards the top 100 things we hate about the top 100 things ‘we’ like about Canberra, can I just add one more? ‘Great hairdressers.’ I spent some time today with a friend from St Kilda who informed me that they have great hairdressers in that part of Melbourne! And shops!

However, I think she was just jealous…despite the clarity of the purple dye in one lock of her gorgeous hair.

LSWCHP 7:45 pm 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

MyDee 7:30 pm 15 Jan 13

My original suggestion as to what i likes about Canberra was the hyperbole- Based on the fantasies of various political leaders and self appointed ACT opinion makers and glitterati, I recalled such visions as our world standard Fussball court/field, the artificial surf beach and flying boats landing on Lake Burley Griffen, our high speed light rail /TGV connecting Civic with Gungahlin or Sydney or even Perth as well as the many reports commissioned on the subject. It is also wonderful to think of the absolute chutzpah of calling a water starved townshipthe Garden capital.

PantsMan 6:41 pm 15 Jan 13

Managed to put 3 votes in for “Andrew Barr” already. Anyone got a spare BotNet?

rosscoact 5:05 pm 15 Jan 13

DrKoresh said :

The one about Bumping into the Prime Minister makes me want to puke in my mouth. This list is making us look a bunch of bumpkins, only worse, because it makes us look like pretentious hipster-bumpkins.

😀

Pirate_Biggles 3:48 pm 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

I think I saw the folkie in there…

But so hard to tell with the absence of a consistent taxonomy.

Ahh, it is under ‘cultural events’… not ‘Festivals’. How interesting.

Pirate_Biggles 2:52 pm 15 Jan 13

No National Folk Festival I notice.

johnboy 3:35 pm 15 Jan 13

I think I saw the folkie in there…

But so hard to tell with the absence of a consistent taxonomy.

MissChief 2:41 pm 15 Jan 13

Is this part of the whole “vote for the top 100 things you like about Canberra and we’ll give you access to them during the centenary year” campaign? I’m having a quiet giggle to myself visualising everyone on buses being given the grand tour of Charnwood before being taken out to the odd establishments in Fyshwick. But seriously, how pathetic. We get a load of money to have centenary celebrations and we come up with this rubbish. How much did the junket last year gouge from the budget? Can we not do anything right?

muscledude_oz 2:27 pm 15 Jan 13

Roundhead89 said :

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

where”s the Manuka being pronounced marnika option i thought that would get into quirky stuff 🙁

Today I had a chat with a person in NZ who checked his Maori dictionary, and ‘Marnika’ is the correct pronunciation. The choice of name dates back to when it looked like NZ might join Australia. Pakeha often stuff it up in NZ, too.

You have that partially right. There are actually *two* very similarly-named places on the North Island of NZ. Manukau (or Manukau City) is the suburb of Auckland while Manakau is a small town between Palmerston North and Wellington. That must cause a bit of confusion over there.

poetix 12:02 pm 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

poetix said :

I assume it was the latter scenario, then?

Well we didn’t enter ourselves, so who knows?

There may be some rioters who are sucks, but certainly not those of us who reside in inner north areas with a vibrant fixie-riding youth culture with our own shop…

johnboy 12:00 pm 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

I assume it was the latter scenario, then?

Well we didn’t enter ourselves, so who knows?

Sic 11:59 am 15 Jan 13

These people were walking up to randoms in Garema Place and putting them on the spot about their favourite thing about Canberra. Everyone I saw them ask struggled with an answer and then came up with something crap.

poetix 11:55 am 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

Chop71 said :

Where is the RiotACT tab?

Either we’re not the shameless self promoters of the gray media (CT and 2CC), or we were culled in the laughable editorial process!

I assume it was the latter scenario, then?

DrKoresh 11:43 am 15 Jan 13

EvanJames 11:30 am 15 Jan 13

What is canberra good at? Tailgating!

Brandi 11:20 am 15 Jan 13

johnboy said :

Chop71 said :

Where is the RiotACT tab?

Looks like a standard mudmap of public submissions – plenty of dupes and typos and yes, some of it is poorly categorised. To be fair it’s a positive message and it’s opened my eyes to a few things I didn’t know about.

Roundhead89 11:11 am 15 Jan 13

poetix said :

Tymefor said :

You’ve got that totally wrong. The NZ version is not Manuka but Manakau, pronounced “Manna-cow”. It is a suburb of Auckland. Manuka is a tree, pronounced manooka, as is the honey from the tree’s flowers.

johnboy 10:37 am 15 Jan 13

Chop71 said :

Where is the RiotACT tab?

Chop71 10:36 am 15 Jan 13

Where is the RiotACT tab?

p1 10:27 am 15 Jan 13

My favourites so far:

Ease of Living: Sense of entitlement

Although I have just realised that if you click “View all responses” you get a list, but you can only vote on the ones that come up in the stupid squares. Shame.