Business

Home loans made clear

Linux.conf.au coming back to Canberra!

By johnboy - 24 January 2012 52

linuxconf poster

What better way for the nerds of Canberra to celebrate the Centenary than gathering at ANU for linux.conf.au!

Canberra turns 100 next year. That’s pretty old, but we’re pretty sure that she still knows how to party. All of Canberra will have their party shoes on during 2013, including the geeks. And what better way to have a geek party than to host the best Linux conference in the southern hemisphere, right here in the middle of our town?

Linux Australia announced today that linux.conf.au will be held at the Australian National University campus next year, from 28 January to 2 February, 2013.

Conference Director Michael Still said that he was delighted with the announcement, and praised the work already put in by the Canberra committee to organise the bid. “We have a lot of work to do before January 2013, but we plan to deliver a great conference, and have some fun while we’re doing it.”

linux.conf.au is one of the foremost open source conferences in the world, and is considered the most prestigious in the southern hemisphere. Every year open source geeks from across the globe gather in Australia to meet their fellow technologists, share the latest ideas and innovations, and spend a week collaborating on free, open source software projects.

Canberra last hosted the conference in 2005, to universal acclaim. Eight years on, we are delighted to see the conference return to the capital.

For those wondering what Linux is, it’s a computer operating system of great reliability maintained by the community. It runs my netbook, the RiotACT webserver, and android smartphones amongst many other things.

Legend has it the linux penguin was inspired by a penguin at the Canberra Zoo biting Linus Torvalds.

What’s Your opinion?

52 Responses to
Linux.conf.au coming back to Canberra!
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
fnaah 1:32 pm 25 Jan 12

“For the average Windows user, what is the actual benefit of switching a laptop/home PC to Linux?”

Never* having to worry about viruses or malware?

* – practically never, that is.

Keijidosha 1:00 pm 25 Jan 12

Lazy I said :

Anyone in industry would know that there is a hell of a lot of Linux in Government in Canberra, and that it’s doing a lot of the heavy lifting behind the scenes.

+1, Linux forms the backbone of many departments, although the shift towards Sharepoint is alarming.

Lazy I 12:36 pm 25 Jan 12

Deref said :

🙂 A most excellent thing. Perhaps our wholly-owned subsidiaries of Microsoft, aka our governments, will come along and learn something.

Judging by the generic anti-Microsoft trolling nature of your comment I gather you’re a clug regular.

Erg0 12:26 pm 25 Jan 12

Incidentally, this thread on Whirlpool shows a pretty good cross-section of Linux users, from the condescending jerks to the fanatical evangelists to the realists. And it’s only 73 pages long!

Erg0 12:23 pm 25 Jan 12

I’ve thought about giving Linux a try from time to time, but never really found a justification for the amount of time and effort it would take for me to effectively re-learn 17 years of accumulated knowledge on bending Windows to my will (more like 25 if you count DOS knowledge, which still comes in handy from time to time). This is partly due to simple inertia, and partly because I can’t really see how I, personally, will benefit from making the switch.

This is a genuine question: For the average Windows user, what is the actual benefit of switching a laptop/home PC to Linux?

qbngeek 12:10 pm 25 Jan 12

johnboy said :

qbngeek said :

Until Linux works out of the box and is as polished as Windows is it will never be accepted by the masses. The biggest issues I hear are driver issues and the difficulty, for a new user, of finding and installing apps. The main excuses I hear from developers are ‘It is too hard to account for so many types of hardware’.

Oh please, almost any linux is easier to install than Windows. you just mostly buy wintel boxen with the thing already on it!

Come on, I recently installed Windoze 7 on a family members PC and all I did was whack the DVD in, hit next, select Australia, hit next a few more times adn bugger off while it did its thing for about an hour. Office was the same and Windows AntiVirus took about 2 seconds then they were ready to go.

Even Ubuntu isn’t that easy.

I personally love Linux, but I use W7 on my laptop because I can make everything work without a hassle and it will run all my apps and games with no issues or modifications. When there is an Android OS for PC, I will more than likely switch to that since Google already runs 80% of my life.

Dilandach 12:01 pm 25 Jan 12

johnboy said :

qbngeek said :

Once again, it depends on the distro. There are those that are built around UIs and package management. There are others that certainly don’t have any hand holding.

johnboy 11:44 am 25 Jan 12

qbngeek said :

Duffbowl 11:38 am 25 Jan 12

Deref said :

LSWCHP said :

I am currently in Hell. Or to put it another way, I’m an old time Unix hacker who has suddenly been forced to do some development work under Windoze. Something inside me has been dying. This afternoon I actually wrote my own cross-thread comms library, because the OS is so lame. Unbelievable.

Poor bastard. I’ll pray to the FSM for you.

May the peace of “Bob” be upon you all, and the Blessed Anti-Virgin succour away your sins.

qbngeek 11:36 am 25 Jan 12

Disinformation said :

The biggest issues against linux being adopted by the average person isn’t the technical knowledge required, arrogance of the users, lack of driver support or any other reason that has been mentioned so far. The average person is willfully resistant to frustration. They don’t like it. They will give up if there is not sufficient motivation to overcome it.
This applies to every single person on the planet with every single skill that they need and don’t need. Most of the world has learned the windows way of things. Once they’ve done that, there is insufficient motivation to overcome the frustration of learning something else. For a rank beginner with no experience, the most intuitive (With the least frustration) interfaces to powerful computing capability are the most popular.

+eleventy billion

I run a linux programming box for Android development and I must say that the biggest enemy of Linux are Linux users. They seem to think that the world will one day wake up and go ‘Wow, Linux is awesome I have been so blind.’

The next big OS will be released by Google and if it is based on Linux then all the better. If not, the only hope for Linux is that the developing community pull their fingers out and make it as polished as humanly possible. When you have a development community that large and that active, it really shouldn’t be that hard.

Disinformation 11:10 am 25 Jan 12

The iphone demonstrated that low frustration levels equal popularity.

It takes a very large amount of effort to keep things simple enough for the average person. Linux is finally putting the focus on making things easy. Now it is starting to accelerate in its adoption.

There is so much simple documentation available online on how to try linux out on an average PC or Laptop , that the only thing stopping someone from doing it is the resistance to trying it out.

Deref 10:28 am 25 Jan 12

Whoops…I meant:

Deref said :

Spectra said :

PS: LinuxMint is the One True Way. Can’t let a distro war go un-waded-into 🙂

😀 Aye, brother! All non-Mint users are foul sinners who should be drowned in spaghetti and meatballs!

Deref 10:26 am 25 Jan 12

Spectra said :

PS: LinuxMint is the One True Way. Can’t let a distro war go un-waded-into 🙂

😀 Aye, brother! All non-Mint users are foul sinners who

Spectra said :

The really funny thing about this comment is that you probably don’t realise how incredibly patronising it is.

I apologise unreservedly if it sounded patronising (I wrote it while feeling like crap with a nasty cold, so I probably misjudged the tone, but that’s not an excuse). That was not my intention. I was simply trying to make the point that you’d made a very negative assumption about the difficulty level and dismissed it out of hand as a result, but had clearly not so much as actually looked at it yourself. If you’re interested in trying it, my offer still stands (though I’d imagine you’d rather it be someone else – I’m sure any of the lovely people at CLUG would be equally happy to help you out). I’ll stop talking now.

Werd.

The biggest thing working against Linux is the number of patronising geeks in the community (not suggesting that you are one). The vast majority of the world’s computer users aren’t geeks and have no wish to be geeks but there are an awful (literally) lot of Linux users out there who look down on them as lesser beings.

We’re not all like that, and I hope people won’t judge us by that nasty and ignorant rump. Most of us are more than willing to help people take the first easy and tentative steps into Linux. I, too, have lots of friends who have made the transition and their most common comment is “if I’d known it was that easy I’d have done it years ago.”

Deref 10:16 am 25 Jan 12

LSWCHP said :

Poor bastard. I’ll pray to the FSM for you.

DermottBanana 10:15 am 25 Jan 12

Spectra said :

Spoken like someone who’s never even tried.

With evangelists like this, is it any wonder the mainstream reject it?

Spectra 10:08 am 25 Jan 12

Dilandach 9:37 am 25 Jan 12

mikal said :

There is an active Linux user’s group in Canberra (it meets tomorrow night in fact). If people are interested in trying Linux out I’m sure an installfest / live CD burning session could be arranged. So, are people interested in such a thing?

(I know the complaining on this thread is mostly about complaining for the sake of it. Sorry if I’ve ruined your fun.)

I keep meaning to go to that. Never have yet. I might get off my date and go along.

Anyone here been?

basketcase 9:20 am 25 Jan 12

There is also a group that caters for interested users, http://www.pcug.org.au/LinuxSIG/

Its meetings are in day time so it attracts the interested retirees

mikal 8:59 am 25 Jan 12

OpenYourMind 6:18 am 25 Jan 12

LSWCHP said :

Spectra said :

…but is probably one of those things only accessible to people who know what they’re talking about in the first place

Spoken like someone who’s never even tried. If downloading and burning a DVD is beyond you, then yes, you’ll probably have difficulty getting Linux installed under your own steam.

That seems a bit harsh. You have to remember that the great majority of people are not technically inclined, so even the idea of an alternative boot device is simply going to invoke a collective WTF from most folks. And that’s not intended as a criticism of anybody, BTW.

Starting off in a hardcore manner like that, and then subsequently suggesting that Poetix could come to you for advice doesn’t seem like it’s going to work out somehow.

Exactly. And there in lies the whole problem with Linux and the Linux community. For the average Joe Punter, there’s no way I would recommend using Linux. There is this whole attitude of ‘hey you should use Linux, it’s better blah blah blah’, but then this superiority and assumed level of technical ability coupled with internal turf war over Linux distros, and linux packages. Win7 and OSX are so polished, the OS is packaged nicely with the computer and they’ve both reached a great level of stability and maturity. There’s not a lot of strong arguments for Average Joe to use Linux, but there’s lots of reasons not to such as lack of driver support, difficulty running apps especially as many of the things Joe Punter may be adding to their system are built and targeted at OSX or Win7.